• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Comics are way more stable in this regard compared to sports. Sure Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb and some others will stand the test of time but others in 100 years from now will be forgotten.

Ive watched grainy videos of Babe Ruth. 

I bet in 50 years, when people watch sports clips, they will see 3D projections.  

1 hour ago, Batmanis#1 said:

That was one of the four highest-graded X-Men #1 in SS category, which has a total of 628 on census.  I noticed that there are a grand total of only 14 UK price variants for X-Men #1 in the SS category, the highest grade being two books at only 6.0 (!).  Interesting.  Imagine if the owners of those books had to ship them to the USA just to get them signed and graded.   The books would have crossed the Atlantic at least four times!   (:  That alone would be special.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 6/24/2021 at 10:28 AM, Pantodude said:

Let’s take a step back and digest.  What is clear now, especially after the Promise auction and other lofty auction results, is that a lot more non-traditional collector types are participating in the market, that they have much deeper pockets than the hobby has generally known pre-pandemic, and that they are competing for the relatively few comic book keys of any era.  With this backdrop, the current valuations across the hobby not only make cents, but appear sustainable and even bullish if the new demand has not achieved equilibrium.  It seems like every month that goes by, comic book keys look better and better as alternative investments, especially vintage keys or otherwise special books (highest grades, peds, etc.).  Hence the beaucoup dough being thrown at special books, from Promise books of GA, to MS5 in 9.8 of BA, and much more in between.  

In other words, this suggests we would have seen these higher valuations years/decages ago (adjusted for inflation, of course) had comic books been universally embraced then, and not just more recently, as alternative investment vehicles (short or long-term).  So it's possible ALL key comic books have been undervalued all the long.  So I don’t see a crash, but a correction is possible if equilibrium has been achieved, unless it hasn’t!  

I have no doubt there are new entrants into the hobby because of the pandemic.  I've made local sales to comics of people that were bored at home, and people online buying keys as an investment.  The Canadian economy as an aggregate had increased savings (for those not negatively impacted by the pandemic) of 200 billion dollars.  People at home not spending money on clothes, haircuts, gas, travel, entertainment, etc. have been putting money into other avenues. 

That is now changing and I believe we're at the tipping point as things start to get back to normal....I can't tell you how many top tier key books I sold to someone that were immediately flipped to another buyer, that's not a buyer who has an interest in holding long-term and taking that book out of the supply, and that does not keep prices chugging along because when the market turns none of those guys will be around. 

I work in real estate and we've already seen a peak for the year, I think the other asset classes will follow....I'm not arguing that these books won't be increasing in value long-term but I sure as hell not buying any big books that have gone up 150-500% in value in just a few years - or in some cases a few months!    

There will be lots of YOLO spending for several months, but that won't last once people have exhausted that spending bug, and their savings deplete and start racking up debt again.  

On 6/25/2021 at 6:30 PM, VintageComics said:

This is a really good observation / theory.

You're saying that since comics are no longer a fringe hobby, demand has multiplied while supply has stayed relatively steady.

Combine that with $1TRIL in crypto profits removed from the crypto market, trillions in stimulus money floating around and relatively low certification population (especially compared to baseball cards) and you have a perfect storm.

This type of paper wealth can vanish overnight.....I was trading equities full time from 2005-2010, I remember Lehman Brothers went from being the third largest bank in the world to non-existent literally overnight.

44 minutes ago, spreads said:

I have no doubt there are new entrants into the hobby because of the pandemic.  I've made local sales to comics of people that were bored at home, and people online buying keys as an investment.  The Canadian economy as an aggregate had increased savings (for those not negatively impacted by the pandemic) of 200 billion dollars.  People at home not spending money on clothes, haircuts, gas, travel, entertainment, etc. have been putting money into other avenues. 

That is now changing and I believe we're at the tipping point as things start to get back to normal....I can't tell you how many top tier key books I sold to someone that were immediately flipped to another buyer, that's not a buyer who has an interest in holding long-term and taking that book out of the supply, and that does not keep prices chugging along because when the market turns none of those guys will be around. 

I work in real estate and we've already seen a peak for the year, I think the other asset classes will follow....I'm not arguing that these books won't be increasing in value long-term but I sure as hell not buying any big books that have gone up 150-500% in value in just a few years - or in some cases a few months!    

There will be lots of YOLO spending for several months, but that won't last once people have exhausted that spending bug, and their savings deplete and start racking up debt again.  

Agreed!  For anyone that thinks comics will just continue to go up and up the way it has been the past few months will be in for a shocker.  There is definitely a ceiling, nothing is open aired and sky high.  It has happened first with Pokemon cards where values out of nowhere soared and then came crashing down a few months after.  Then we saw that with sports cards (which I believe there are a lot more people dealing with them than comics) same thing happened.  Now, I believe comics will suffer that same fate soon and then video games too.  I have ownership of all these collectibles currently and definitely didn't get caught up at buying at the peaks for these.  To sum up, once the music stops and chairs have been occupied, that lone person standing will be holding the bag, a very large one at that.

5 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Agreed!  For anyone that thinks comics will just continue to go up and up the way it has been the past few months will be in for a shocker.  There is definitely a ceiling, nothing is open aired and sky high.  It has happened first with Pokemon cards where values out of nowhere soared and then came crashing down a few months after.  Then we saw that with sports cards (which I believe there are a lot more people dealing with them than comics) same thing happened.  Now, I believe comics will suffer that same fate soon and then video games too.  I have ownership of all these collectibles currently and definitely didn't get caught up at buying at the peaks for these.  To sum up, once the music stops and chairs have been occupied, that lone person standing will be holding the bag, a very large one at that.

3 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I don't agree at least 20 books in our hobby are still super cheap compared to other things in other hobbies. I am sorry but AC1 and TEC27 in 9.0 should one day be near $15 million dollars or more.  A few SA keys are dirt cheap even now. AF15 compared to say 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle (easy card to find and buy if you have the money) is cheap. Pokemon are from 1999 not 1939 it's not the same. So many Charizards exist in all grades.

I can see the day were AF15 in 9.2 brings $5 million dollars or more. Of course it's better when things gradually go up in value but look at sports cards in happened the the key sports cards as well and nothing has went down. They are still going up in value.

Comics are global and kids will be raised with them threw companies such as Disney.

To sum it up we are no were near the peak. May take 10-20 years to get there.

I don't think these two opinions are mutually exclusive. 

I really don't know what the coming months and years will bring, but long term I'm not concerned. 

Historically, we haven't seen big price corrections on big keys after rapid growth. In 2017 AF15 went insane, then it more or less flattened out for 5 years, but didn't really "correct".  

But this recent price run up has been unlike anything we've seen. Not only in terms of the size of the gains, but also the number of books that shot up in value. So I imagine there will be a correction of sorts, I'm just not sure how big of a correction or how wide spread. 

I have a feeling AF15 won't go back to January prices in my life time. Maybe I'm wrong, but that book was probably due for an upward market correction.

I wouldn't be surprised to see other books like X1, GSX1, X94, MS5 and even IH181 correct, but I don't think they'll go back to early 2020 prices. 

I also have a lot of faith in the future of the hobby.  I just think these characters transcend time and the movies will continue to strengthen their position and drive future prices.  So I don't rule out the type of future growth Batmanis#1 is talking about. 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

I don't think these two opinions are mutually exclusive. 

I really don't know what the coming months and years will bring, but long term I'm not concerned. 

Historically, we haven't seen big price corrections on big keys after rapid growth. In 2017 AF15 went insane, then it more or less flattened out for 5 years, but didn't really "correct".  

But this recent price run up has been unlike anything we've seen. Not only in terms of the size of the gains, but also the number of books that shot up in value. So I imagine there will be a correction of sorts, I'm just not sure how big of a correction or how wide spread. 

I have a feeling AF15 won't go back to January prices in my life time. Maybe I'm wrong, but that book was probably due for an upward market correction.

I wouldn't be surprised to see other books like X1, GSX1, X94, MS5 and even IH181 correct, but I don't think they'll go back to early 2020 prices. 

I also have a lot of faith in the future of the hobby.  I just think these characters transcend time and the movies will continue to strengthen their position and drive future prices.  So I don't rule out the type of future growth Batmanis#1 is talking about. 

Well said, I'm definitely not ruling out anything at this time, anything can happen really.  We're in a unique event right now in terms of comic book growth in all eras, something I don't remember seeing ever in the 15+ years I've been in this hobby.  It's inevitable that at some point there will be a correction, but the exact date and how much % of a dip is unknown.  I'm not expecting a crash of some sort also, although I wouldn't mind it either so I can add a lot more books into my collection lol. I'm actually hoping there will be one, but I highly doubt it.  

At current price levels, there are obviously some that I think are overpriced and some I feel are priced about right.  Underpriced books I don't really see any.  Even books I don't follow like duck books and western have all seen some decent gains.  

2 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Ok so what SA keys are dirt cheap?  I doubt there are 20 of them. 

Off the top of my gaseous head, and this is all relatively-speaking, of course:  Aquaman 1, BB28, Doctor Solar Man of the Atom 1, FF2, FF Annual 1, Green Lantern 1, low-to-mid grade IH1 (but also IH2-IH6), Iron Man and Subby 1, JLA1, Marvel Super-heroes #12, Ms. Marvel 1 (yes, b/c the woke hate can only go so far here), NF AofS 1, SC4, SC22,  and TTA27.   That's 20 right there.  And we can add Shazam 1, Spectre 1, Star Trek 1 (Gold Key), and for sure all the early Spidey keys (ASM 1 (still yes, b/c of AF15), 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 20, 28, 31, 50, 78, 83).  That's 21 more.  And I haven't even reached the "X" books.   Last, but certainly not yeast, [C]unt Comics #1 (Apex Novelties, 1969).  :devil:

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, captain_em said:

My Lord! Did I see correctly? A cgc .5 is already at $4600 with 8 days left on CL? 2020- "The Year of Covid" 2021- "The Year of X-Men #1" !  

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/492864-1-will-x-men-1-crack-1000000-before-december-31-2021-2-will-it-move-into-1-silver-age-spot-by-december-31-2021/page/2/#comments

Well, then in all fairness SC4 is back in the discussion for the podium b/c a 0.5 also received a $4500 offer on CC.  

5 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Off the top of my gaseous head, and this is all relatively-speaking, of course:  Aquaman 1, BB28, Doctor Solar Man of the Atom 1, FF2, FF Annual 1, Green Lantern 1, low-to-mid grade IH1 (but also IH2-IH6), Iron Man and Subby 1, JLA1, Marvel Super-heroes #12, Ms. Marvel 1 (yes, b/c the woke hate can only go so far here), NF AofS 1, SC4, SC22,  and TTA27.   That's 20 right there.  And we can add Shazam 1, Spectre 1, Star Trek 1 (Gold Key), and for sure all the early Spidey keys (ASM 1 (still yes, b/c of AF15), 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 20, 28, 31, 50, 78, 83).  That's 21 more.  And I haven't even reached the "X" books.   Last, but certainly not yeast, [C]unt Comics #1 (Apex Novelties, 1969).  :devil:

OMG, I looked up Comics. "The Only Comic You Can Eat".   Didn't even know that existed!  

3 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I meant all ages not just SA. More like 30 books or so.

SA:

AF15

Hulk 1

FF 1

X-Men 1

SC 4

SC 22

BB 28

JIM 83

TOS 39

And a few 1st appearance issues of series such as ASM. To me they are cheap compared to many other hobbies and the top items in those hobbies.

I dunno.  I feel like all the Marvel ones have already taken off.  AF15 has been on a tear lately after 3 years of stagnation.  Hulk 1 prices keep going up.  Obviously FF1, XM1 are on a rocket ship.  JIM 83 and TOS39 have gone up as well.  

The only ones I agree are still cheap are the DC books SC4 and SC22.  Unfortunately who knows how long you would have to hold onto those books before getting a positive return.