• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wheels Are In Motion
10 10

310 posts in this topic

I wonder, If it were not for Ian how much interest would there really be in this particular copy. I think Ian's quest alone is driving up the price for this book.

Exactly. If I were Ian, I'd not only decline to buy this copy, I'd make that information as public as possible. If in fact there is another prospective buyer willing to pony up serious cash for the book, that other collector's offer would likely drop significantly if he/she learned that there was no longer serious competition for the book. Then let Metro try to make a profit on the book, and learn the hard way that "spite" and "profit margin" rarely fit into the same sentence in a way that leaves any party happy with the outcome.

Ian says he offered 10x guide for the book. It sounds as though Metro offered less, but offered some other form of 'compensation' in addition to $, to snag the book. Whether Metro knew that Ian had been contacted about this specific copy in advance of Metro, Metro had to know that getting this book would be a jab at Ian, and/or give Metro some new negotiating ground with Ian. Metro should have walked from this book in the first place, if they truly hold no grudge against Ian. Who the hell else is gonna pay 10x guide for it? No one. So Metro negotiated with the idea in mind that eventually, they'd sell the book to Ian after making him squirm, or they'd take a loss on the book in return for some "quality spite time."

As for the dealer who sold the book, they should have sold it to Ian for 10x guide in the first place - or even 5x guide if that's what Ian offered initially. Is it truly necessary to squeeze every last dime of profit out of every book? We'll never know what 5x or 10x guide would represent in terms of profit, but I gotta believe it would have been significant.

Ian, let this one go and move on. If I were you, I wouldn't want this particular copy at this point anyway - it's tainted.

Who the hell else is gonna pay 10x guide for it?

the other DC collectors in Ian's elite company who are going for the full run of DCs as well.

As for the dealer who sold the book, they should have sold it to Ian for 10x guide in the first place - or even 5x guide if that's what Ian offered initially. Is it truly necessary to squeeze every last dime of profit out of every book?

Why? Isn't it acceptable to look out for your best interest? Even if it means squeezing every last $$ out of this deal? When it comes to books this scarce, you HAD best get everyone you can involved and cover yourself so that no one takes advantage of you. Especially a lowball offer...

darth,

just to be clear, I don't think Ian's offer was a "lowball" offer, but I also didn't think it hurt to shop the book around a little to see what kind of market there was, rather than jumping on the first offer thrown out there.

Here are the FACTS

1 - Joe C submitted this book to CGC at the NYC National Convention held over Thanksgiving weekend. At that convention Joe C received offers from several MAJOR dealers but decided to have the book certified before deciding on anything.

2 - I personally called up Vincent and therefore he is being 100% factual and honest when he writes:

"Let me state for the record that I was offered a book for sale-I was solicited-I did not go after this book out of a grudge or anything of the sort-simply offered the book."

3 - since the start of this thread Vincent has received a phone call from a very interested customer (in addition to the one that he had previously mentioned) about this book.

All this talk about this book seems to be making people realize just truly how rare it is and is forcing people to ratonalize buying it now or holding out on the hopes of possibly seeing one again.

Couple of other things to consider:

1 - Joe C is a local comic store owner, this Double Action 2 is his lottery ticket. We all talk about finding an Action 1 at a garage sale or what not, and here Joe is and he gets a big break! So what would you do if you are him?

Thoughts:

-Ian is a "dead end" customer - once he fills his 40 books do you think he will ever give Joe any repeat business?

-Metropolis is the biggest buyer and seller of golden age comics. I would advise strongly to go with the 800 lbs gorrilla in this case for the next GA deal that Joe comes across

-Ian isn't the only person who wants this book. Let me tell you, while he may be the most vocal, Ian is NOT the only person who wants this book. Metro has the best contacts in the GA world and can place this book EASILY - and I am not sarcastic when I say that since this thread they have gotten ANOTHER very seriosly interested party.

and then if you want to put in in dollars METRO PAID MORE.

Something to think about before you crucify Metro, Joe C or Foolkiller.

DAM

sign-funnypost.gif

Colin: Because no one collects comics anymore you insufficiently_thoughtful_person............ news.gif

I hope you weren't calling my son Logan an insufficiently_thoughtful_person 893naughty-thumb.giftongue.gif

See this is what happens when you gloss over a post to the point you think is funny, tonofbricks.gifsorry.gif I forgot that you and Kev actually had children foreheadslap.gif and the ppl used in the example were them...... 4_18_2.gif

Sorry Darth........ when did we all grow up? Things were so much easier when I was a kid and the only ppl that I knew who collected comics were kinds too. boo.gif

Joe C submitted this book to CGC at the NYC National Convention held over Thanksgiving weekend. At that convention Joe C received offers from several MAJOR dealers but decided to have the book certified before deciding on anything.

What grade did CGC give the book?

Here are the FACTS

3 - since the start of this thread Vincent has received a phone call from a very interested customer (in addition to the one that he had previously mentioned) about this book.

Let me guess: the new *very interested* customer's name is "Nai Enivel" ?

Couple of other things to consider:

1 - Joe C is a local comic store owner, this Double Action 2 is his lottery ticket. We all talk about finding an Action 1 at a garage sale or what not, and here Joe is and he gets a big break! So what would you do if you are him?

I'd hold off selling the book until Ian is one book - Double Action # 2 - away from completing his collection. Then I'd sell it to him for 10x guide, make a pile of money and get all the credit/publicity for helping him complete the run.

Thoughts:

-Ian is a "dead end" customer - once he fills his 40 books do you think he will ever give Joe any repeat business?

-Metropolis is the biggest buyer and seller of golden age comics. I would advise strongly to go with the 800 lbs gorrilla in this case for the next GA deal that Joe comes across

Well, if you don't go with the 800 lb. gorilla, they may just decide to step on you, so I can't argue with this point.

If in fact this is true, it seems very plausible to me that this was due to the knowledge that Ian would pay almost anything for the book, and therefore some profit was assured regardless, if/when Metro decided to sell.

Look, once you say "the wheels are in motion and etc. etc.," you lose a lot of credibility in my eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if someone willing to make this threat in earnest was also willing to take a LOSS on a particular book, if such a transaction would indirectly fulfill some previous threat.

A few points to consider,

I believe that the book is a good, or thereabouts - I believe that Joe's post stated that he felt Ian's offer fair, and that it was in line with Metro's offer. This whole thing and the numerous threads and side conversations has really got me thinking about the collecting industry, and the Ian - Metro thing seems the rule as opposed to the exception.

The entire hobby is in part based on knowledge and capital and screwing ppl over, as I've said one of the most significant discoveries and most importatn transactions ever was the MH Chuck - Church transaction whereby Chuck paid, what was it 2K for the collection, he had to BORROW THE MONEY, and then proceeded to make his entire livelyhood from that one transaction, whereby he basically butt surfed the Church's.

Don't you think that that has not been noted over and over again and is now the yellow brick road map of how business is done in the comic industry.

When DAM60 says it was Joe Conzolo's lottery ticket what do you think the underlying psychology is?? Truer words were never spoken. Do you think that Mr. Conzolo paid even 50% of guide for the Double Action 2 to the original owner? I'm willing to bet NOT. I have never met Joe and I don't begrudge him this its the acceptable status quo in our hobby. flamed.gif

To illustrate how bad it is, even I am not immune. I purchased a collection of 3000 books last year, and paid about 40% guide, why? because the other dealers new they had a live one, and were not prepared to offer anymore. The deales have the visibility and the pockets to corner the collectors, this has been changing, with Ebay, but it is still the case more often that not. In my case their over abundant greed back fired for once and through sheer fluke I was introduced to this gentleman and extended myself to purchase the books. All the BA and SA are staying in my collection and only 25% of the rest mostly dupes are going up for sale. I'm sure a few of them are still kicking themselves for not putting up a fair offer and missing the opportunity to flip all the books for a significant profit - my heart 893censored-thumb.gif bleeds friggin 4_2_105.gif bastards.

Its still the garage sale mentality, steal and 893censored-thumb.gif over little old ladies who have no idea what they own. That is the over lying motto of this and so many other collectables industries. So the ppl that excel at it are the ppl at the top, trust me, whenI say you should detoxify yourself after you deal with them...........

If this conversation were the equivalent of a bar fight I would be by Vinny's side slugging it out with many of you. I cannot believe the amount of energy and idle speculation going on about this transaction. Again, Ian started this post and started this [!@#%^&^] all over again. Vinny responded and the idle speculation on what is going on starts chiming in. I am continuously amazed at the amount of mental masturbation that goes on regarding people's reason for doing things. Why am I selling my collection, If I told the truth it would be bad for business. Vinny is buying this book strictly to F*** Ian. You should "ALL" take a step back and examine the need to comment when you have very little information to work on. And as I have stated quite frankly in many cases it's none of your business. You should be fortunate that any dealer (Myself Included) stays on this boards and listens to most of this dealer bull####. BlazingBob is mild compared to some of the flamethrowers on this board.

If this conversation were the equivalent of a bar fight I would be by Vinny's side slugging it out with many of you. I cannot believe the amount of energy and idle speculation going on about this transaction. Again, Ian started this post and started this [!@#%^&^] all over again. Vinny responded and the idle speculation on what is going on starts chiming in. I am continuously amazed at the amount of mental masturbation that goes on regarding people's reason for doing things. Why am I selling my collection, If I told the truth it would be bad for business. Vinny is buying this book strictly to F*** Ian. You should "ALL" take a step back and examine the need to comment when you have very little information to work on. And as I have stated quite frankly in many cases it's none of your business. You should be fortunate that any dealer (Myself Included) stays on this boards and listens to most of this dealer bull####. BlazingBob is mild compared to some of the flamethrowers on this board.

Sombody needs a hug......I love you blazingbob flowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gif

If in fact this is true, it seems very plausible to me that this was due to the knowledge that Ian would pay almost anything for the book, and therefore some profit was assured regardless, if/when Metro decided to sell.

Look, once you say "the wheels are in motion and etc. etc.," you lose a lot of credibility in my eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if someone willing to make this threat in earnest was also willing to take a LOSS on a particular book, if such a transaction would indirectly fulfill some previous threat.

I don't know about that, but I do know that Ian's offer didn't knock the socks off of JoeC and JoeC thought he could do better elsewhere. Let's be fair to Joe here too and respect his desire to maximize his profits. Furthermore, I don't understand why everyone thinks that Ian is the only one looking for this book? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And here's some more food for thought: if Ian was willing to pay any price, why wouldn't he have paid Mark Wilson $50K for his cgc 9.0? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

You should be fortunate that any dealer (Myself Included) stays on this boards and listens to most of this dealer bull####.

Oh, please allow me to bow down to your greatness. Until this point I thought you were just a gruff, straight shooting kind of guy that spoke his mind and I respected that. I was wrong, you're just a self important [!@#%^&^]. Get over your self, you're not that important.