• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

Will it hurt the grade of the book if I get both to resign in a color that stands out?

If you bought the book with a Green label & "upgrade" to SS, yes.

If the book is already SS & you follow the protocol on adding signatures, it shouldn't, no.

I'm from England; so how will that work with SS?

Also, what security is there? As sending a comic and not receiving it back, perhaps?

But because I'm a novice at this, how would I find and contact someone (who's been verified by CGC) to send the comic too?

I'm from England; so how will that work with SS?

Also, what security is there? As sending a comic and not receiving it back, perhaps?

But because I'm a novice at this, how would I find and contact someone (who's been verified by CGC) to send the comic too?

Scotts Collectables are probably the best for SS in England - http://www.scottscollectables.co.uk/

They go to lot of cons in England and also a few of the biggest ones in US.

Otherwise you can find loads of SS providers on this forum. If you want a particular sig from a particular con, then chances are you will find someone on this forum who will be attending and able to provide the service for you

SS providers usually send all books properly packaged and fully insured to CGC and from CGC back to you

If you would take a break from spamming the Boards with your (admittedly very cool) book, you would see the answer -

THERE IS A LIMITED AMOUNT OF SPACE ON THE LABEL. WHEN CGC SAYS THERE IS NO MORE SPACE, THERE IS NO MORE SPACE.

Hello, Im new to the boards and I have a quick question. Im about to aquire a book signed by Jeff Smith back in 94'. If I had it signed again by him and verified by CGC, Would the book be given a signature series label or would it be condemned to the qualified label? It was signed on the second page back in 94' so the cover is still untouched if that helps.

Hello, Im new to the boards and I have a quick question. Im about to aquire a book signed by Jeff Smith back in 94'. If I had it signed again by him and verified by CGC, Would the book be given a signature series label or would it be condemned to the qualified label? It was signed on the second page back in 94' so the cover is still untouched if that helps.

It would be given a SS label with a notation stating that the book also has a signature on the interior. The unverified signature will have an absolutely minimal impact on the grade.

I have a Batman #9 (reportedly) signed by Bob Kane I bought years ago from Rob Roter/Pacific Comic Exchange. Of course the only verification I had of the signature was the statement from Mr. Roter himself on the eBay auction noting the signature's authenticity. I did print out and keep the auction listing verbiage and detail. I see now that one of the newer players in the grading/slabbing industry does a signature "verification" service as well as the "authenticity" service where a company rep witnesses the signature. First off, does anyone know or think that CGC will get into the signature verification service like their competition? Second, does anyone have any thoughts as to whether to go with a regular grade from CGC (the signature is on the first interior page of the book, and not the cover) and get a "Bob Kane written on first page in pen" with a slight knock on the grade, or something or go with the other company's verification service?

I have a Batman #9 (reportedly) signed by Bob Kane I bought years ago from Rob Roter/Pacific Comic Exchange. Of course the only verification I had of the signature was the statement from Mr. Roter himself on the eBay auction noting the signature's authenticity. I did print out and keep the auction listing verbiage and detail. I see now that one of the newer players in the grading/slabbing industry does a signature "verification" service as well as the "authenticity" service where a company rep witnesses the signature. First off, does anyone know or think that CGC will get into the signature verification service like their competition? Second, does anyone have any thoughts as to whether to go with a regular grade from CGC (the signature is on the first interior page of the book, and not the cover) and get a "Bob Kane written on first page in pen" with a slight knock on the grade, or something or go with the other company's verification service?

CGC will not go with verification, ever, unless it something entirely different than CGC SS. Like CGC SV (signature verification).

Go blue label over green label every time. If its not high grade, the sig probably won't make a diff.

CGC will not go with verification, ever, unless it something entirely different than CGC SS. Like CGC SV (signature verification).

Go blue label over green label every time. If its not high grade, the sig probably won't make a diff.

Actually, I think Mr. Roter graded it 8.0 or 8.5, so this isn't a VG book. You would go with CGC slabbing with a notation and grade ding for the signature, vs the competitor which would verify the signature (presuming they find it authentic) and (I presume) not ding the grade for the signature? I never considered a CGC green label, and wouldn't consider it.

Actually, I think Mr. Roter graded it 8.0 or 8.5, so this isn't a VG book. You would go with CGC slabbing with a notation and grade ding for the signature, vs the competitor which would verify the signature (presuming they find it authentic) and (I presume) not ding the grade for the signature? I never considered a CGC green label, and wouldn't consider it.

The "verification" service isn't worth the paper the labels are printed on and is a complete waste of $$.

You have an unverified interior signature on an upper-midgrade book - it'll get a blue label from CGC and the signature will most likely not do anything to do the grade (unless it's a giant sharpie sig).

Quick question......

I was wondering why some facilitators have books shipped directly from CGC to the customer, while others have them shipped to them first? Doesn't the latter just take longer and cost more for them?

Is it possible to a get SS book completely regraded when adding sigs to it? without having the previous grade influence the new grade?

That is what happens every time. The label has to be sent in, so that they can have a chain of custody, and to insure that what was on the old label is transferred to the new label. But the label is never in the grading room. The graders never see it, and they grade the book as it sits in front of them.

Is it possible to a get SS book completely regraded when adding sigs to it? without having the previous grade influence the new grade?

That is what happens every time. The label has to be sent in, so that they can have a chain of custody, and to insure that what was on the old label is transferred to the new label. But the label is never in the grading room. The graders never see it, and they grade the book as it sits in front of them.

Thanks for the info!

Will CGC slab, but not grade, custom covers on comic books, giving them a Blue NG? E.g. not a reproduction cover, a custom cover attached over the original cover or over a coverless comic. As well, will they grade, custom blank sketch covers on comic books, same thing over a cover or over a coverless book?

Is there any restrictions to attaching a custom cover? Is there any books with a custom cover you will not slab? Will it still be recognized under signature series if I get the custom cover signed and witnessed and what grading tier would it fall under, especially since it technically won't be graded, just slabbed and verified?

Will CGC slab, but not grade, custom covers on comic books, giving them a Blue NG? E.g. not a reproduction cover, a custom cover attached over the original cover or over a coverless comic. As well, will they grade, custom blank sketch covers on comic books, same thing over a cover or over a coverless book?

"Troy Blank's" are blank covers attached to comics for sketches that get a yellow label and NG.

Is there any restrictions to attaching a custom cover? Is there any books with a custom cover you will not slab? Will it still be recognized under signature series if I get the custom cover signed and witnessed and what grading tier would it fall under, especially since it technically won't be graded, just slabbed and verified?

From my experience, as it relates to custom blanks - (1) They will not slab customs if there is too much over hang on the blank - it must be trimmed very close, like a real comic cover (2) As long as all of the normal rules are followed, it will receive Yellow Label (3) the charge is the same as any other SS submission.

Below are examples:

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=18832&GSub=248

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Order=Date&Piece=15483&GSub=248&GCat=273&UCat=0

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=14739&GSub=248

From my experience, as it relates to custom blanks - (1) They will not slab customs if there is too much over hang on the blank - it must be trimmed very close, like a real comic cover (2) As long as all of the normal rules are followed, it will receive Yellow Label (3) the charge is the same as any other SS submission.

Below are examples:

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=18832&GSub=248

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Order=Date&Piece=15483&GSub=248&GCat=273&UCat=0

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=14739&GSub=248

Technically it doesn't have to be a blank, but as long as it is cut close it can be slabbed? I can make a custom cover in photoshop, print and attach it? I also assume that you have to cut tabs and tape it on? If you remove the staples to attach it, then PLOD?