• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

Whether the books are junk or not are up to you and/or the market. The point is that CGC ISN'T commenting on the junkiness or quality or value or authenticity of any one signature. They are simply stating whether or not an authorized witness of theirs viewed the actual, physical signing of the signature. That's it. That's what the CGC SS program does.

Its not about subjectively honoring this or that, based on someone else's controls, or respect for OTHER companies, or pictures and videos of people signing things, or any of those things. The program is simply about the witnessing of a signature.

"We guarantee that ALL of our CGC SS books have signatures that have been witnessed in person by our authorized witnesses, EXCEPT those that were sent into us by COMPANY XYZ, because they are big, a well respected company, who would have a huge profit motive to forge signatures, and we are not affiliated with them and have no direct knowledge or understanding of their internal controls with regards to the handling of books and the acquisition of signatures. But we trust them because they've been around longer than us and are the main distributor of comics books."

Would you respect that company more? would you trust them more? Is that more fair?

I'm not saying there aren't questions to be asked, and there for sure are many circumstances where it kind of sucks, but I'm saying there's a reason they do it the way they do, and that I'm having a tough time understanding how its 'unfair'. Accepting some and not others seems WAY more unfair.

If I'm thinking of CGC things that might be considered 'unfair', it'd be having an in-house pressing service.

Your blue label will take a hit, although sometimes a very minor one depending on size, and placement. ***Interior sigs take a way smaller hit.

Last thing on this subject and I will leave it alone.

So you trust BIG companys Like Diamond. Ok no prob. and I quote

We guarantee that ALL of our CGC SS books have signatures that have been witnessed in person by our authorized witnesses, EXCEPT those that were sent into us by COMPANY XYZ, because they are big, a well respected company, who would have a huge profit motive to forge signatures, and we are not affiliated with them and have no direct knowledge or understanding of their internal controls with regards to the handling of books and the acquisition of signatures. But we trust them because they've been around longer than us and are the main distributor of comics books."

If Diamond sent you comics you would grade sig series but if I buy a auto book from Diamond you will not honor it ???????????????

It's still sealed from Diamond???

I am in no way trying to sound RUDE please just trying to understand.

If it came direct from Diamond why don't you trust them like you say you do?

I quote

But we trust them because they've been around longer than us and are the main distributor of comics book

I understand your concern. Are these books for your personal collection or do you plan on selling them (investment purposes)? If you don't plan on selling them, then your concern is a non-issue. As well, people had the same issue with DF signed books, but their green labels have not really hurt the books with desirable signatures (Kirby, Kane, Siegal, ...).

I really do not understand what is so hard to understand about the concept. CGC is not in the business of verifying signatures. They only authenticate the ones that were signed in front of their employees. There are plenty of companies out there that will "verify" a signature. There are plenty of people out there that will still buy books that are signed with a COA. These books are not going to be signature series but there is still plenty of market for the books out there.

to the OP---

I think you're missing the point----CGC authenticates books that (they) have witnessed creators signing. They did not witness your COA books being signed years ago, and as such, they cannot give it the yellow label.

Your books aren't "junk" and can still get graded, they just won't have the CGC signature series label because CGC had nothing to do with those books being signed.

It would not have mattered if you sent them to CGC in 2010 or at any time for that matter. They were not involved in getting your books signed, so legally they cannot authenticate.

Regardless of your COA from DF or Diamond, CGC was not involved in the process.

You can't hold CGC's feet to the fire for something that they had nothing to do with.

That said, you can always take any comic book you have to a show that CGC is at, request a witness for signature series, or sub-contract through a faciliator to have the work done for you. But anything you have that was signed at any time that was not done in conjunction with a CGC witness cannot be authenticated for the s/s label...

Plain and simple.

But I also think that many people have pretty much tried to explain the same thing in several posts prior to my own---I just came in late :doh:

I agree with Darrell, this really shouldn't be too difficult of a concept to understand :shrug:

Ok these are for my collection and I think the last 3 people have answered my ?

Thanks CAPT., RICH AND DARRELL

I think you're missing the point----CGC authenticates books that (they) have witnessed creators signing.

And what did they do before 2010?????

They had to really on a COA.

I will no longer buy signed books from Diamond because CGC does not accept them as authentic even though I was told and I quote:

(But we trust them because they've been around longer than us and are the main distributor of comics books.")

Do they really trust them ???????????????????????????????

Who do I need to call to plead my case not only for me but all the buyers that are buying auto's from Diamond and are really worthless???????????????

Unless you look at them and say "look I have a signed book"

I understand about someone seeing the guy sign the book

I didn't mean to off anyone but I thought Diamond was a legitamite source for auto's but now I see not in the eyes of CGC

Ok these are for my collection and I think the last 3 people have answered my ?

Thanks CAPT., RICH AND DARRELL

I think you're missing the point----CGC authenticates books that (they) have witnessed creators signing.

And what did they do before 2010?????

They had to really on a COA.

I will no longer buy signed books from Diamond because CGC does not accept them as authentic even though I was told and I quote:

(But we trust them because they've been around longer than us and are the main distributor of comics books.")

Do they really trust them ???????????????????????????????

Who do I need to call to plead my case not only for me but all the buyers that are buying auto's from Diamond and are really worthless???????????????

Unless you look at them and say "look I have a signed book"

I understand about someone seeing the guy sign the book

I didn't mean to off anyone but I thought Diamond was a legitamite source for auto's but now I see not in the eyes of CGC

What's with the 2010 thing? CGC launched their Signature Series program in 2001 :shrug:

You still seem to be missing the various points by about a mile:

1) Nobody is forcing you to buy signed books from Diamond.

2) CGC doesn't provide an authentication service, they provide a physical, witnessing service.

3) COAs have never really been worth the paper they were printed on. This has nothing to do with CGC.

I think I see part of the problem. What Revat put in quotations was not actually anything that CGC has ever stated. He was trying to make a point about how his it might appeal more to you.

Sorry I couldn't put the right inflection on my tone. I really just meant to say that YOU CAN'T trust JUST ONE outside (non-CGC) company/source of 'authenticated' signatures (no matter how established or trustworthy), because it would end up being really subjective and the favoritism showed would destroy the credibility of CGC SS.

It sounded like the OP was a little angry that Diamond stuff would not get a CGC SS, and didn't understand why those comics are good enough to grade but their signatures are not 'eligible' for CGC SS. I was trying to make the point that it would look HUGELY biased to allow for Diamond unwitnessed sigs, but nobody else, and CGC would be giving a HUGE financial boon to a company with which they have no apparent affiliation while simultaneously hurting their own perception of objectiveness in the comic community. To me, that doesn't seem like a great idea. Also, it still doesn't sound even remotely unfair. People buy comics (adults anyways) for an agreed upon price of their own free will, often with the assumption (or hope) of an increase in value, but with full knowledge that there may be economic losses realized at some point in the future.

CGC provides a signature witnessing service (for money), and to denote that the signature has been witnessed, the comic (after grading) is put into a case with a special label denoting the witnessed signature. That's it. They found a service that SOME collectors want, and they provide it, for a fee.

NOOB checking in with a question that I can't seem to get answered via the site search.

If one sketches on a blank and wants to submit the book for grading/slabbing would the individual be able to get the SS yellow label or would they be required to engage a facilitator with witness status to submit on their behalf?

K, so if you are a CAW for a facilitator and there are other CAWS working for the same facilitator, none of the CAWS are allowed to submit books?

You can't hand your books off to someone else to witness at the same show?