• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

You are not allowed to witness your own books.

So as long as there is another CAW there, you can submit?

I've heard someone say you not allowed to witness sigs for your own books.

Yeah you quoted it.

Still no straight up answer to my question. One can assume that if there are two or more CAW's at a show, then they can submit books. I hate assuming things

Yes that is how it works. Adonis was my CAW at Megacon. He had books he wanted to get done though so he gave them to Mangbus and he took care of them. They were done by a completely different CAW so there was no witnessing of ones own books. That or if you are working with a dealer as a CAW and CGC is also set up then you can grab a CGC employee to go witness your stuff.

Yes that is how it works. Adonis was my CAW at Megacon. He had books he wanted to get done though so he gave them to Mangbus and he took care of them. They were done by a completely different CAW so there was no witnessing of ones own books. That or if you are working with a dealer as a CAW and CGC is also set up then you can grab a CGC employee to go witness your stuff.

Darrell,

Thank you very much for taking the time to clear that up for me. I greatly appreciate it :)

I have a TMNT #1 signed by the creators with a little sketch on the inside cover, unwitnessed by CGC (it was signed back in the 80's). I understand that it won't qualify for a SS yellow label, but would instead get a blue label with a note. However, is this signature going to ding my grade if I send it in with some sort of 3rd party signature verification COA?

So any signed comic pre-CGC (probably 75% of signed comics) then are devalued by their signatures if graded by CGC? That doesn't make sense.

Why?

They run a profitable (I think) business WITNESSING SIGNATURES. Why would they give EQUAL standing to a signature witnessed BY SOMEONE ELSE? How can they even be sure it was actually signed by the right person? The COA? Not all COA's are created equally, and for CGC to JUDGE THE COA, it would have to have some BIASES, which would make them partial, and ruin their credibility, which would hurt their own business, and directly AID the credibility (and profit margin) of some direct competitors in the witnessing game.

So maybe it makes perfect sense, since they're in they are business trying to make money by getting people to pay for their services?

So any signed comic pre-CGC (probably 75% of signed comics) then are devalued by their signatures if graded by CGC? That doesn't make sense.

The value is degraded with an unverified signature regardless of whether it is in a CGC slab or not. It's up to collectors to determine value, and they value CGC witnessed signatures above those that are not CGC witnessed.

Why?

They run a profitable (I think) business WITNESSING SIGNATURES. Why would they give EQUAL standing to a signature witnessed BY SOMEONE ELSE? How can they even be sure it was actually signed by the right person? The COA? Not all COA's are created equally, and for CGC to JUDGE THE COA, it would have to have some BIASES, which would make them partial, and ruin their credibility, which would hurt their own business, and directly AID the credibility (and profit margin) of some direct competitors in the witnessing game.

So maybe it makes perfect sense, since they're in they are business trying to make money by getting people to pay for their services?

Can you be more defensive? The company has only been around since 1992 and since then has witnessed a fraction of signed comics. So all those many millions of comics are of less value? Think about it.

I'm asking a simple question, are comics actually considered 'devalued' by signatures that CGC doesn't witness? My book that, say, is in 9.6 condition suddenly has a lower grade if slabbed by CGC if it has a signature they didn't see happen?

Why?

Can you be more defensive? The company has only been around since 1992 and since then has witnessed a fraction of signed comics. So all those many millions of comics are of less value? Think about it.

I'm asking a simple question, are comics actually considered 'devalued' by signatures that CGC doesn't witness? My book that, say, is in 9.6 condition suddenly has a lower grade if slabbed by CGC if it has a signature they didn't see happen?

simple answer: If you want a universal blue label, typically your grade will be lowered if you have non-witnessed signatures. BUT occasionally, for non-obtrusive interior sigs, the grade will not be significantly lowered. OR if the book is in a low-mid grade, the unwitnessed sig will have less relative impact on a grade. For example, if the book was a CGC 5.7 it would have gotten a 5.5 label. With the unwitnessed sig it might get a 5.3, which is still a CGC 5.5 in the label.

GOT is right, you should probably call for more details.

I was responding earlier to the 'That doesn't make sense', by explaining why it does make sense.

You have two options: take a Green "Qualified" label at 9.6 or let them grade it as if any random writing was done on the cover.

CGC is not in the business of determining the veracity of signatures. They only witness signatures.

Again, valuation is up to the marketplace, not CGC, and the market does not like signatures on books that are not in yellow label slabs.

Go to any comic show and you'll find hundreds or thousands of books in the $5 bin with signatures on them that would be worth much, much more in a yellow label slab.

Any BTW, if anyone has been defensive, it's because people are tired of answering this question. It comes up once a week.

Also, the question IMO is easily self-answered with a minimum amount of research and basic business sense.

And I admit I have a personal pet peeve about people making clearly flawed absolute statements.

simple answer: If you want a universal blue label, typically your grade will be lowered if you have non-witnessed signatures. BUT occasionally, for non-obtrusive interior sigs, the grade will not be significantly lowered. OR if the book is in a low-mid grade, the unwitnessed sig will have less relative impact on a grade. For example, if the book was a CGC 5.7 it would have gotten a 5.5 label. With the unwitnessed sig it might get a 5.3, which is still a CGC 5.5 in the label.

GOT is right, you should probably call for more details.

Thanks. That I can understand.

I was responding earlier to the 'That doesn't make sense', by explaining why it does make sense.

Makes sense for CGC. I'm not going to get into this since its likely been argued about before and not worth my time, I just want to know how things work with CGC grading.

Any BTW, if anyone has been defensive, it's because people are tired of answering this question. It comes up once a week.

Also, the question IMO is easily self-answered with a minimum amount of research and basic business sense.

And I admit I have a personal pet peeve about people making clearly flawed absolute statements.

If you're so put upon to answer a simple question just do something else. Looked at FAQ, wasn't there. Get over yourself.