• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Looks like a Sparkle City price bump is in the cards :o

The top bidder has 0 feedback that suck for them if some guy ruins there auction!!

I feel like these are related...

That's a good point. I would think bidders have to contact them before bidding or risk their bids being cancelled. I would hope they have some measures to protect the integrity of the bidders.

Funny that bidder with 0 feedback has now cancelled all his/her bids. I guess us talking about it here made something happen.

Edited by SupergirlDC1959

The top bidder has 0 feedback that suck for them if some guy ruins there auction!!

That's a good point. I would think bidders have to contact them before bidding or risk their bids being cancelled. I would hope they have some measures to protect the integrity of the bidders.

Funny that bidder with 0 feedback has now cancelled all his/her bids. I guess us talking about it here made something happen.

hm

Yeah I'm sorry but its amazing how they fetch consistently such high prices on books and while selling on Ebay which to me the a risky proposition via an auction format.

I think partly why is they bring some really good SA books to eBay with no reserve, and they have a fairly good reputation on there, so bidders feel relatively safe. They sure do attract a lot of bids on their books.

I looked 10 years back and couldn't find one.

I'll change this subject to "Showcase #4 Club" if not.

Is there no love for DC's #1 Silver Age book? (shrug)

I've never had the desire to own this book. I'll see Harley Yee or some other major dealer at a show and ask to see their Hulk 1, AF 15, Adventure 247, but in all my years of collecting, I have never requested to see a Showcase #4.

I can understand its significance as the 1st Silver Age book (although arguements can be made against it), but the Flash is a second tier DC character, and the Silver Age resurgence of Superheroes was 50 years ago and for folks in my age group (between 30-40), it doesn't mean a lot. We always had Superhero comics around, and more significantly, Marvel Superheroes.

Having said all of the above, I see this book dropping several notches in desirability and relative OPG value against other books in the next few years, but that's just my opinion. Anyone think otherwise? (shrug)

Anybody remember the book's price range at the time of this post in 2010?

I've never had the desire to own this book. I'll see Harley Yee or some other major dealer at a show and ask to see their Hulk 1, AF 15, Adventure 247, but in all my years of collecting, I have never requested to see a Showcase #4.

I can understand its significance as the 1st Silver Age book (although arguements can be made against it), but the Flash is a second tier DC character, and the Silver Age resurgence of Superheroes was 50 years ago and for folks in my age group (between 30-40), it doesn't mean a lot. We always had Superhero comics around, and more significantly, Marvel Superheroes.

Having said all of the above, I see this book dropping several notches in desirability and relative OPG value against other books in the next few years, but that's just my opinion. Anyone think otherwise? (shrug)

In 2010 I sold cgc 4.0 for 3200

Cgc 7.5 was 20k

Cgc 7.5 was 20k

Wasn't the 7.5 you were offering in 2014?

Cgc 7.5 was 20k

I bought a raw copy that year off a dealer at NYCC for $1800. Handed it over to Matt to clean up some pencil marks and press the book then off to CGC for a 3.5 OW I believe.

I got this today! It's a beater in many aspects, but I like it.

29177131911_c4a8f4254c_b.jpg

Congrats on a solid copy! No missing pieces so that's cool.

Thanks!!

Some of the restoration is a bummer, but I'm still super thrilled to have one.

It's hard to believe such a high demand book only has 370 in the census!

In comparison, Amazing Fantasy has almost 7x that with 2,548.

Congrats on the nice addition.

WRT the relative scarcity of SC 4 vs AF 15, I actually had a chat about this with the staff at a LCS this afternoon. They were talking about how common AF 15s were now relative to 10 - 15 years ago locally, and that they are hoping to land some early SA DC keys in a large collection they are trying to convince the owner to part with since they rarely see them. I know that they are sitting on a B&B #28-30 set, and it sounds like they may have a couple of other more key SA DCs but none of the SC or other big 1st Apps.

Showcase # 4 has always been a scarce book. A lot of people missed it when it debuted. Jerry Bails even claimed to have missed it. He picked up a copy later in his collecting.

I got this today! It's a beater in many aspects, but I like it.

29177131911_c4a8f4254c_b.jpg

Congrats on a solid copy! No missing pieces so that's cool.

Thanks!!

Some of the restoration is a bummer, but I'm still super thrilled to have one.

It's hard to believe such a high demand book only has 370 in the census!

In comparison, Amazing Fantasy has almost 7x that with 2,548.

Any SC4 copy is an awesome copy. Congrats and welcome to the club :applause: