• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Man all of these showcase 4's (worship) If anyone has an extra one in the 0.5 - 2.0 range please let me know! Im having a hard time joining this club!

It's a tough club. Price is so high, I'm sure I overpaid for even a very low grade restored. Entry level seems as high as Hulk 1 or AF 15. At least census levels show a true scarcity.

You can say that again! Just Finding a book that meets my very low standards seems impossible! im really not picky with books like this. Ill buy anything as long as the price is right. If it hasn't passed Hulk 1 and AF15 Im sure its going to soon. I predict #1 silver age book in the next 2 years.

Number #1 in what way? Amazing Fantasy #15 is already the most expensive (and so far only) Silver Age book to break $1MIL.

It's also the most sought after SA book by far IMO.

#1 as in within the next 2 years point for point in think its going to surpass Hulk 1 and probably AF15, Mostly due to the scarcity, But also because I think the flash is just going to be more more an more popular. Just my 2c

I think it's safe to say that the couple of top Marvel guys who could/would shell out $500k+ to have the top Hulk 1 wouldn't be buyers of the top Showcase 4, so I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison. I've always felt that comparing the more commonly sold, mid-grades from book to book was a better comparison, as it removes the "highest graded copy" premium, but I can see where both sides are coming from.

Tougher by what means???

Hulk in 8.5 7 Copies

Showcase 4 in 8.5 3 Copies

Hulk in 9.0 11 copies

Showcase 2

Hulk in 9.2 4

Showcase 2

Hulk in 9.4 1

Showcase 2

Hulk 1 in 9.6 0

Showcase 1

Total copies above what we have been discussing:

Hulk 23 copies

Showcase 10 copies

So you think a book is #2 simply by 1 sale at the very top of the chart makes it number 2, rather than just about every other part of the spectrum?

Not trying to put words into Vintagecomics' mouth here, but I see the crux of his point (beyond just thecensus and GPA data) as being two-fold:

1) The highest price anyone has ever been willing to pay for a Hulk 1, regardless of grade , is far and away anything more than anything anyone has ever paid for an SC 4.

And

2) Until someone shows a willingness to pay more for a copy of SC 4 than even the third or fourth highest graded copies of Hulk 1, Hulk 1 remains the #2 book by default.

And to that , I agree. (thumbs u

-J.

Tougher by what means???

Hulk in 8.5 7 Copies

Showcase 4 in 8.5 3 Copies

Hulk in 9.0 11 copies

Showcase 2

Hulk in 9.2 4

Showcase 2

Hulk in 9.4 1

Showcase 2

Hulk 1 in 9.6 0

Showcase 1

Total copies above what we have been discussing:

Hulk 23 copies

Showcase 10 copies

So you think a book is #2 simply by 1 sale at the very top of the chart makes it number 2, rather than just about every other part of the spectrum?

Not trying to put words into Vintagecomics' mouth here, but I see the crux of his point (beyond just thecensus and GPA data) as being two-fold:

1) The highest price anyone has ever been willing to pay for a Hulk 1, regardless of grade , is far and away anything more than anything anyone has ever paid for an SC 4.

And

2) Until someone shows a willingness to pay more for a copy of SC 4 than even the third or fourth highest graded copies of Hulk 1, Hulk 1 remains the #2 book by default.

And to that , I agree. (thumbs u

-J.

So 1 person's willingness to pay the highest amount for a book by default means the book is higher in the ranks. Maybe we can talk about 9.9's/10.0 prices or variant covers and how some pay astronomical prices but that doesn't mean that Spider-man XXX is the best spiderman book in that set of books.

Again, I'm not sure why we're discussing it but there have been MANY Hulk #1 sales that have sold over what the most expensive Showcase #4 has sold.

It seems to me that up to the low VF range (7.0 / 7.5) Showcase #4 looks more expensive right now but in the upper VF range and up, Hulk #1 is a more expensive book.

I simply took exception at your statement of SC #4 being a bigger book "across the board", which it isn't.

Again, I'm not sure why we're discussing it but there have been MANY Hulk #1 sales that have sold over what the most expensive Showcase #4 has sold.

It seems to me that up to the low VF range (7.0 / 7.5) Showcase #4 looks more expensive right now but in the upper VF range and up, Hulk #1 is a more expensive book.

I simply took exception at your statement of SC #4 being a bigger book "across the board", which it isn't.

The last two Hulk 1 sale: a 9.0 275K, 9.2 375K is quite strong in the high grade. H1 in 7.5 and 8.0 has been softer in price compare to H1 9.0+ grades...the 7.5 and 8.0 grades may pay catch up as you mentioned. Last SC4 in 9.2 sold five years ago for 100K before the Flash movie/show bump. I'm not sure what the SC4 9.6 last changed hands at (after the HA sell of 175K), but don't think a SC4 9.0+ will out price H1 in 9.0+. As others stated, SC4 in <7.5 has been out pricing H1 for sometime now. It's more of which books are more valued in their perspective grades.

Last SC4 in 9.2 sold five years ago for 100K before the Flash movie/show bump.

I sold one about 3.5 years ago for slightly more than $100K. The TV bump was starting at that point.

I'm not sure what the SC4 9.6 last changed hands at (after the HA sell of 175K),

It hasn't. As far as I know it's still owned by the same owner that won it in Heritage, who made it available on Clink for $500K. I spoke to the owner of the book as I thought I had an interested buyer but I couldn't get the buyer and seller in the same ballpark.

Hulk 1 comes up for sale wayyyyyyy more often in 6.0 and above.

Sure, it's much more common but it's also way more popular. Scarcity is irrelevant without demand.

Last SC4 in 9.2 sold five years ago for 100K before the Flash movie/show bump.

I sold one about 3.5 years ago for slightly more than $100K. The TV bump was starting at that point.

I'm not sure what the SC4 9.6 last changed hands at (after the HA sell of 175K),

It hasn't. As far as I know it's still owned by the same owner that won it in Heritage, who made it available on Clink for $500K. I spoke to the owner of the book as I thought I had an interested buyer but I couldn't get the buyer and seller in the same ballpark.

Okay. Thanks. I remember the 9.6 was available at PGCmint and Comiclink for over 900K. I'm speculating high 300K will take it home.

your speculation is incorrect sir........I know more than 300k was offered and turned down for that book as a fact.

I sit in the Showcase 4 >> Hulk 1 camp as well. But it's not cut and dried, that's for sure.

We haven't had any uber high grade SC4s to market - and privately there haven't been any high grade sales in some time.

hulk 1s we've had a few - but the uber high grade copies (9.0,9.2) sell very strong.

SC4 is so rare in high grade that it simply doesn't come up. But if one came to auction, a 9.2 or 9.4, I think we'd have a pretty sick result.

your speculation is incorrect sir........I know more than 300k was offered and turned down for that book as a fact.

I sit in the Showcase 4 >> Hulk 1 camp as well. But it's not cut and dried, that's for sure.

We haven't had any uber high grade SC4s to market - and privately there haven't been any high grade sales in some time.

hulk 1s we've had a few - but the uber high grade copies (9.0,9.2) sell very strong.

SC4 is so rare in high grade that it simply doesn't come up. But if one came to auction, a 9.2 or 9.4, I think we'd have a pretty sick result.

Roy mentioned the sell of SC4 CGC 9.6 for 500K couldn't materialized, so my speculation of a high 300K no good? :baiting: Until a SC4 9.0+ available and sale above 275K...it's pure speculation. ;)

Edited by showcase22gr1959