• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

What is MKT Value for a 5.0 right now? Is it on par with this ongoing auction? Are the WP a major factor? hm

(:

The white pages are on the 9.6 that's not for sale. :gossip:

The 5.0 has Cream to Off-White pages.

Only 2 sales on GPA for the last few years, both for $6750.

lol , that image of the 9.6 is burned in to my brain.... :sorry:

Thanks for the info, bob!

What is MKT Value for a 5.0 right now? Is it on par with this ongoing auction? Are the WP a major factor? hm

(:

The white pages are on the 9.6 that's not for sale. :gossip:

The 5.0 has Cream to Off-White pages.

Only 2 sales on GPA for the last few years, both for $6750.

lol , that image of the 9.6 is burned in to my brain.... :sorry:

Thanks for the info, bob!

I know what you mean :grin:

That 5.0 is definitely on path to setting a new GPA high.

I tell you, Sparklecity sure knows how to bring in the bids.

Something to keep in mind when I'm ready to sell hm

Gator, why don't you report your sales to GPA like (some) dealers do?

From an equity perspective (whether high or low), the data is skewed by self-selection, to some extent. People often refer to GPA, so it seems to me that GPA should collect this information too.

Thoughts?

Gator, why don't you report your sales to GPA like (some) dealers do?

From an equity perspective (whether high or low), the data is skewed by self-selection, to some extent. People often refer to GPA, so it seems to me that GPA should collect this information too.

Thoughts?

at one point I was reporting to George but quite honestly It was more work and effort then I had time for. I would probably be more suited to report now but honestly haven't approached George since I dropped the ball the first go round.

I just think that, given the volume you move, it would make sense.

Can't tell you how many times someone has told me "I won't pay a $ over GPA, when I know the real market value is at a premium"

Maybe George can find a way to simplify the data collection process for trustworthy dealers?

I'm not saying GPA is the be-all, end-all of market valuation for books, only that it should atleast be as accurate as possible :shrug:

I can't tell you how it galls me to see some of my pedigree books listed on GPA at the sales prices buyers paid for them way before I purchased the books. I wish there was a way to update the sales data on unique, easily identifiable books like this on the census. And to hear that someone who moves as many books as you do Rick is not reporting sales, and one can surmise others have "dropped the ball" on reporting sales (or only selectively reporting them) well it does put into question whether it's really as accurate as it once was.

I think there are many sellers out there that are not approved to report. Only George can speak about that. I have said all along that gpa is a great tool but with restrictions of private sales that occur at the volume they do, only makes someone really have to have "connections" to get the big picture.

There's a lot of data out there to parse - especially if you count what's discussed on the chat boards. It's like a full-time job trying to keep up. That and issues regarding shills, doctored books in blue slabs, who sold what to whom, it's a pretty daunting task staying current. :cry:

There's a lot of data out there to parse - especially if you count what's discussed on the chat boards. It's like a full-time job trying to keep up. That and issues regarding shills, doctored books in blue slabs, who sold what to whom, it's a pretty daunting task staying current. :cry:
agreed

In spite of the fact that the GPA might not be as comprehensive simply because of unreported sales: those unreported sales are known by some individuals.....which must have a trickle down effect to public sales.

It's not a bulletproof theory, but if you think about it logically some of the info. from private sales gets distilled into the public auctions.

A viable scenario is someone who has a highly sought after book for auction on Ebay that is aware of private sales that rival the GPA pricing. They could potentially hold fast with their asking prices or only accept offers they think are truly representative of the current value.

I've had this happen to me before when purchasing grails. There has been sparse information available from recorded sales on the GPA and the Overstreet value is way off and not at all indicative of the true value. The seller has been the one that's informed me of prior sales and made cogent arguments why they valued the book at a given price.

With a bit of legwork and discussing the trends with others here and elsewhere, I've been able to determine if the value is in step with what's been stated to me.

In essence, someone somewhere knows what the book 'should' go for and can be sold at without being way into the stratosphere or into the basement. Those knowledgeable folks are the ones that eventually have an impact on the public auctions and the GPA can then reflect that activity.

Certainly not a perfect scenario due to all the variables and time that elapses, but hopefully sometime in the forseeable future additional sales can be reported and make the GPA a bit sharper of a tool.

I also bought a 6.0 for $10,450 the same week. I joined GPA this week and reported the purchases, but they still have not been reflected in the sales history yet.

I'm not sure the GPA works that way. You don't do the reporting yourself, only authorized people and places can submit data for tracking. I guess they don't want folks running up the prices on stuff by saying they bought such and such at a given $ amt. and it turns out to be B.S..

Ebay is definitely represented, I think Mycomicsshop.com is as well....not sure if Comiclink is.....also Greg Reece Comics is able to report....

You can input the amounts you paid in the section for your comics, but as far as I know that has no relevance on the GPA itself.

GPA have proven to be more a problem then a guide as a few have pointed out.

My time to work with books is very limited but my feeling(frustration!) is "how hard can it be?". CL sales are missing + several other dealers on the boards and other dealers.

Not trying to change anything but it should be fairly easy to have a spider to monitor all that gpa + cl + many dealers.

The impression I have is that many have this already and I am not in the loop. 2013 standard it should be very easy but I have nothing to contribute.

Obviously you would have the fake sales from the rotten apples, but a bigger and wider database should not be a problem. There is not even any advanced stuff....just picking up data.

I also sense that this is probably done by a lot of people already (because it is easy) but I am not in the club ;(

Frank

I sold a cgc 5.5 ow pager last week for 7995

And I am the one who bought it. Thanks again, Rick!

Chris

was a smooth deal! I think it is a heck of a book (especially compared to the 5.0)

I sold a cgc 5.5 ow pager last week for 7995

And I am the one who bought it. Thanks again, Rick!

Chris

was a smooth deal! I think it is a heck of a book (especially compared to the 5.0)

Well, do we have to beg to see a picture of? (shrug)

I got my 6.0 off of board member Flash105.

The boards are a great place to buy, sell or trade books.