• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade game!

310 posts in this topic

My brother was going through a nasty divorce awhile back and his psycho-bee-otch ex stole one of his Nolan Ryan rookie cards and pawned it for $50 bucks and it was worth $1500 bucks at the time...now that is what I call losing your shirt! :insane:

Imagine,Your card is MINT. You go to a dealer and he gives you 50% of $200(highest price in the guide). A fair price right? But your card is not "high guide/EX/MT, it's MINT) which would have been $800. (NM $400/MINT 800) So, you should have gotten $400, not $100.

But many dealers who didn't understand, weren't going to pay you 2x the highest price shown. How could they explain to their customers they wanted 4X the highest price in their guide. And if they did, they would divulge to them what was going on and have to pay them more for their mint cards. Until slabbed cards got huge prices at auction in NM/MINT & MINT.

(yes, during the mid 80's)People thought they were losing money, that cards were dead, but they were more lively than people know. (if they were in TOP condition)

The guide USED to say $200 in MINT, but a lot of people didn't notice that MINT changed to NM, then NM went to EX/MINT. (which the highest price remained constant.), they only looked at it as "the highest guide value") A lot of people thought the prices remained the same so stopped buying guides. They would go to the book store, check their top cards, if the "highest" price was the same, they didn't bother buying the guide.

The 1990's only added problems with people investing in new cards to send their kids to college, based on VINTAGE card sales values.

The sky is falling...the sky is falling... :o

Signed

Chicken Little

the creator of this thread made some excellent points and the MOST responders to this thread were

quite pathetic.

it is hilarious reading the same tired replies from the same people. their typical

defense when they know they are wrong. the OP made perfect sense in almost

every aspect of his posting.

his concerns are valid and obviously he does not drink the kool aid while most here

do.

the creator of this thread made some excellent points and the MOST responders to this thread were

quite pathetic.

it is hilarious reading the same tired replies from the same people. their typical

his concerns are valid and obviously he does not drink the kool aid while most here

do.

You're just smarter than everyone else. (thumbs u

*tool*

My question is: Why do people who find the business practices of CGC questionable at best, come here? What's pathetic is coming to a website hosted by a certain entity then bashing them in their own "house". <--- that's what I call a move.

I gotta tell you man , I don't really consider this CGC's house. It's our house. They may host it, but it's the members who make it what it is. CGC ain't perfect as we all know, and some folks just don't like graded comics. I'm not a huge fan of them, but I love this place. If it were just about CGC and how great they are, I wouldn't spend any time here. But it's not, it's about comics (and theoretically about coins or some such inconsequentialness), and there's people here with serious comics knowledge that are a pleasure to talk to.

All that said, I still don't get the baseball card thing. That was some seriously muddled writing.

My question is: Why do people who find the business practices of CGC questionable at best, come here? What's pathetic is coming to a website hosted by a certain entity then bashing them in their own "house". <--- that's what I call a move.

I gotta tell you man , I don't really consider this CGC's house. It's our house. They may host it, but it's the members who make it what it is. CGC ain't perfect as we all know, and some folks just don't like graded comics. I'm not a huge fan of them, but I love this place. If it were just about CGC and how great they are, I wouldn't spend any time here. But it's not, it's about comics (and theoretically about coins or some such inconsequentialness), and there's people here with serious comics knowledge that are a pleasure to talk to.

All that said, I still don't get the baseball card thing. That was some seriously muddled writing.

Do you pay the bills to host this site? No? Then it's CGC's house.

Go here: http://www.comicscorral.com/forums/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=1266543630-bc5bf0ee959822c471e64cec121489962d06b0c1

A comicbook forum you can bash CGC to your hearts content.

quite pathetic.

do.

You're joking right?

Either that or you guys know the same mutant language because half of what this guy said was completely unintelligible... :screwy:

quite pathetic.

do.

meh

No, what's hilarous is watching you slink in here & defend his ignorant statements as they were some sort of gospel.

But please - enlighten us - which "excellent point" did the OP of this thread throw forth? Because all I see is the same old "CGC is a scam"-rubbish ...

All I have to say is the market WILL crash..anyday now...

Or so that's what everyone has been saying every single year for 10 straight years. Hasn';t happened yet. Ups and downs happen but comics are a great solid collectible.

I can see how someone might have an opinion on CGC...but to come here as one of your first posts with this old school paranoid mentality is obviously just going to make you look like a NOB and stir everyone up.

He could of joined, had some fun with everyone for a while before he started preaching stuff we've heard a million times.

I do agree that while CGC hosts this forum..I DO NOT come here to chat cgc. I come here because this is the best open forum for comic books EVER on the net. No other site compares to people here. The community here are the most serious of comic book collectors. Not just little fanboys that troll the local comic shop...well for the most part anyway lol

I just took blood from the eye sockets of over 50 mice today so I'm a little wired! lol

All I have to say is the market WILL crash..anyday now...

Or so that's what everyone has been saying every single year for 10 straight years. Hasn';t happened yet. Ups and downs happen but comics are a great solid collectible.

I can see how someone might have an opinion on CGC...but to come here as one of your first posts with this old school paranoid mentality is obviously just going to make you look like a NOB and stir everyone up.

He could of joined, had some fun with everyone for a while before he started preaching stuff we've heard a million times.

I do agree that while CGC hosts this forum..I DO NOT come here to chat cgc. I come here because this is the best open forum for comic books EVER on the net. No other site compares to people here. The community here are the most serious of comic book collectors. Not just little fanboys that troll the local comic shop...well for the most part anyway lol

I just took blood from the eye sockets of over 50 mice today so I'm a little wired! lol

When I mentioned that this is CGC's house, I didn't meant that one had to preach or talk about strictly CGC services. What I meant to convey is show a little respect or decorum. For instance, if a tool comes into my house (that I pay for) and spits on me...that's downright disrespectful. And that's what's happening here.