• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade game!

310 posts in this topic

Sure you did....

Just kidding. Ya man I know what you meant. This guy seems like he was building up this arguement and spouting it off at his local comic shop for years.

Once he joined, he just couldn't help himself and started dropping hints that he was gonna go on a big anti-cgc rant soon.

What a loser lol

My question is: Why do people who find the business practices of CGC questionable at best, come here? What's pathetic is coming to a website hosted by a certain entity then bashing them in their own "house". <--- that's what I call a move.

I gotta tell you man , I don't really consider this CGC's house. It's our house. They may host it, but it's the members who make it what it is. CGC ain't perfect as we all know, and some folks just don't like graded comics. I'm not a huge fan of them, but I love this place. If it were just about CGC and how great they are, I wouldn't spend any time here. But it's not, it's about comics (and theoretically about coins or some such inconsequentialness), and there's people here with serious comics knowledge that are a pleasure to talk to.

All that said, I still don't get the baseball card thing. That was some seriously muddled writing.

Do you pay the bills to host this site? No? Then it's CGC's house.

Go here: http://www.comicscorral.com/forums/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=1266543630-bc5bf0ee959822c471e64cec121489962d06b0c1

A comicbook forum you can bash CGC to your hearts content.

I've never bashed CGC. I was pretty skeptical about them at first, but I got over that and now I don't concern myself about them too much.

Can I stay please?

My question is: Why do people who find the business practices of CGC questionable at best, come here? What's pathetic is coming to a website hosted by a certain entity then bashing them in their own "house". <--- that's what I call a move.

I gotta tell you man , I don't really consider this CGC's house. It's our house. They may host it, but it's the members who make it what it is. CGC ain't perfect as we all know, and some folks just don't like graded comics. I'm not a huge fan of them, but I love this place. If it were just about CGC and how great they are, I wouldn't spend any time here. But it's not, it's about comics (and theoretically about coins or some such inconsequentialness), and there's people here with serious comics knowledge that are a pleasure to talk to.

All that said, I still don't get the baseball card thing. That was some seriously muddled writing.

Do you pay the bills to host this site? No? Then it's CGC's house.

Go here: http://www.comicscorral.com/forums/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=1266543630-bc5bf0ee959822c471e64cec121489962d06b0c1

A comicbook forum you can bash CGC to your hearts content.

I've never bashed CGC. I was pretty skeptical about them at first, but I got over that and now I don't concern myself about them too much.

Can I stay please?

After ya kiss me boot heel :rulez:

the creator of this thread made some excellent points and the MOST responders to this thread were

quite pathetic.

it is hilarious reading the same tired replies from the same people. their typical

defense when they know they are wrong. the OP made perfect sense in almost

every aspect of his posting.

his concerns are valid and obviously he does not drink the kool aid while most here

do.

I don't know about how valid the guy's points are but he did get a pretty crappy welcome right from the first page.

What's the matter with you people? Seriously.

(shrug)

the creator of this thread made some excellent points and the MOST responders to this thread were

quite pathetic.

it is hilarious reading the same tired replies from the same people. their typical

his concerns are valid and obviously he does not drink the kool aid while most here

do.

I don't know about how valid the guy's points are but he did get a pretty crappy welcome right from the first page.

(shrug)

Yeah but seriously Roy, the guy sets up a lame "grading contest" which is quickly exposed as a fabrication to rant about the grade CGC gave this book...so why the coyness and subterfuge, just come out and say what's on your mind...and then after that, SERIOUSLY, the guy was pretty unintelligible...the guy's on the couch and I'm his shrink and I still don't understand what he's sayin' (shrug)

quite pathetic.

do.

(shrug)

Yeah but seriously Roy, the guy sets up a lame "grading contest" which is quickly exposed as a fabrication to rant about the grade CGC gave this book...so why the coyness and subterfuge, just come out and say what's on your mind...and then after that, SERIOUSLY, the guy was pretty unintelligible...the guy's on the couch and I'm his shrink and I still don't understand what he's sayin' (shrug)

I don't know Tom. I think personally people were a little rough. He's obviously new here.

I got hammered as a PGX shill when I first started posting here years ago. People lay a beat down on me because I didn't agree or march in line with everyone here from day one.

I could be wrong but this guy could genuinely be trying to prove a point. He may just not be internet savvy enough to do it effectively.

I mean, nobody even really proved anything except that he's got somewhat of a sense of a humor and isn't that smooth at internet communication.

Is that enough evidence to lynch someone on?

quite pathetic.

do.

(shrug)

I don't know Tom. I think personally people were a little rough. He's obviously new here.

I got hammered as a PGX shill when I first started posting here years ago. People lay a beat down on me because I didn't agree or march in line with everyone here from day one.

I could be wrong but this guy could genuinely be trying to prove a point. He may just not be internet savvy enough to do it effectively.

I mean, nobody even really proved anything except that he's got somewhat of a sense of a humor and isn't that smooth at internet communication.

you just gotta be coherent. you're a waste of everyone's time if you ain't.

I don't lol

This guy knew exactly what he was doing. He had no interest in making friends here. He already said he was in the hobby for 30 years and knew tons of people. He came here to try and prove a point by use of a ruse!

Agreed. His first post was deceptive and every subsequent post reflected his anti CGC agenda.

I'm not a huge fan of graded comics because I would rather read them but how can anyone not appreciate CGC's resto check and relative standarized grading. This guy came here to insult and bash CGC. Good riddance.

quite pathetic.

do.

(shrug)

Roy - I realize you're just trying to stand up for the "little guy", which is always commendable. But in this case you really are on the wrong side of the fence.

The OP had a clear agenda with both this thread and his subsequent posts, and his feigned innocence at the subsequent reaction was ridiculous & fake. He's just another in a long line of anti-CGC trolls with nothing better to do ...

quite pathetic.

do.

(shrug)

hey.. do not defend the guy. you might be called a tool also by the peanut gallery.

he used a grading contest post to start the conversation. he wanted opinions on

the book before he gave his own. naturally before the first page was over he was

called a shill. (using the cgc forum definition which makes absolutely no sense

to someone new to the forum).

the original poster wanted to buy the book but the grade was so far off from what

he thought it should be he will probably pass. He listed the reasons he thought it was off.

His reasons made sense to me.

the original poster then has to wade through many nonsense posts of one liners

and stupid pictures found on the internet.

he then mentions he dislikes grading a new book any different then an old book. I

agree with him.

He is very correct that grading companies involve politics in their day to day business.

I also find it humorous that there really is no guarantee. I know comics are fragile

and perhaps they will make good on any mistake.. but that is all up to them. This

it totally different then coins which NGC grades. They will eat a mistake with cash.

Money on the barrel head!!!

the original poster even states:

"& I'm not bashing anyone. I disagreed with "the opinion" placed on a book."

it is the regulars here doing all the bashing.

man i could go on and on.

indeed.

I also find it humorous that there really is no guarantee. I know comics are fragile

and perhaps they will make good on any mistake.. but that is all up to them. This

it totally different then coins which NGC grades. They will eat a mistake with cash.

Really? How does that work? is there some higher authority that can definitively say that the coin got the wrong grade? If so, why not go to that authority for the grade in the first place? And if the grade is proven wrong, what cash is dispensed? A return of the grading fee? Do they offer to give it the new and 'proper' grade, or just automatically send out some dough?

Really? How does that work? is there some higher authority that can definitively say that the coin got the wrong grade? If so, why not go to that authority for the grade in the first place? And if the grade is proven wrong, what cash is dispensed? A return of the grading fee? Do they offer to give it the new and 'proper' grade, or just automatically send out some dough?

Just to be clear... CGC and NGC are related via a parent company. I think that is

the way to describe it.

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/writtenguarantee.asp

People have used this guarantee and from their reports they were often very pleased

with how NGC treated them. This gave them confidence to keep on buying NGC

graded coins. They are definitely well respected when it comes to numismatics.

The OP says he does not agree with CGC grading then WTF is he looking at slabbed books for?????

IT'S VERY SIMPLE...DON"T AGREE WITH THE GRADE DON'T BUY THE BOOK.

NO ONE IS FORCING ANYONE TO PAY ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY THEY DO NOT WANT TO PAY.

That goes for raw and slabbed books but don't come here with your BS anti-CGC agenda because you will get flamed, and called a shill because this has been done how many times now???

And to start babbling about CARDS???? Are you for real???? He said he was leaving then why stick around if not to ruffle some feathers...

Unless of course he's a SHILL :o

Interesting. It doesn't seem to cover under-grading, just over-grading. So it doesn't really protect the submitter, but the party purchasing from the submitter at a later date, or anyone making a purchase further down the chain.

I wonder why they do this for coins but not comics?

Interesting. It doesn't seem to cover under-grading, just over-grading. So it doesn't really protect the submitter, but the party purchasing from the submitter at a later date, or anyone making a purchase further down the chain.

I wonder why they do this for coins but not comics?

Apples and Oranges