• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade game!

310 posts in this topic

Guys everyone should back off....this guy knows people! lol

Looks like no one knows him though?? Sounds like a troll who thinks he's more important than he is! Who cares if you know a few dealers...So does every single person on this forum that deals in vintage comics!

:censored:

I want answers to my questions :sumo:

:foryou:

I can get them for you but I'll have to work through lunch. :busy:

Well, I answered some of them.

Why doesn't McDonald's sell hotdogs?

They tried once. Ronald did filthy, filthy things with them. That was the end of that.

At a movie theater which arm rest is yours?

Whichever ones my arms are on

What is Satan's last name?

McFly. Satan McFly

Why do doctors leave the room when you change? They're going to see you naked anyway.

They are going to see someone else naked who’s hotter than you are

Where does the toetag go on a dead person if they don't have toes?

For a guy, on his schlong. Don’t know for a woman

Why is there a disclaimer on the Allstate Auto Insurance commericals that says "Not available in all states"?

Because they’re clueless azzholes

If a person dies and then springs back to life, do they get their money back for the coffin?

Depends if they’re under ground yet?

If you are asked to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and you’re the main witness, what if you say "no"?

You’re found in contempt. Your sentence is being forced to watch episodes of Mama’s Family for 48 straight hours

Do they bury people with their braces on?

Yes, zombies need straight teeth to chew on brains

If, in a baseball game, the batter hits a ball splitting it right down the center with half the ball flying out of the park and the other half being caught, what is the final ruling?

He gets a double

Why is it that everyone driving faster than you is considered an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and everyone driving slower than you is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person?

Because it’s actually you who are the insufficiently_thoughtful_person

If pro and con are opposites, wouldn't the opposite of progress be congress?

It is :P

Is it rude for a deaf person to talk (sign) with their mouth full of food?

No, it’s required

What's the difference between normal ketchup and fancy ketchup?

One is straight. The other is gay

Why is the Lone Ranger called 'Lone' if he always has his Indian friend Tonto with him?

Because Tonto isn’t a Ranger. duh :screwy:

When does it stop being partly cloudy and start being partly sunny?

Right about now

Are eyebrows considered facial hair?

No, they’re considered eyebrow hair double duh

If a baby's leg pops out at 11:59PM but his head doesn't come out until 12:01, which day was he born on?

That one

Is there a time limit on fortune cookie predictions?

Yes……..in bed

Since bread is square, then why is sandwich meat round?

It’s all part of the conspiracy. Trust no one

Can you daydream at night?

Yes, it’s day somewhere

I got out of comics and switched completely to original art when slabbing came in because with original art, grading has nothing to do with value. I was offered to be a charter member but rebelled. The reasoning was, I was at a comic show and one of the graders, before they started to slab tried to sell me a Poor ASM #14 as a good, with a discount of 50% which was still DOUBLE guide. So, I didn't trust where it was going. (for those that don't get it, the book was fair, priced at 250 in good, with discount $125, but it was really poor which was i believe at the time truly worth $67.50)

And to those out there who are reading this thread, who are affraid to respond for fear of persecution(I understand)...., you will hear how "grading has improved lately, that the old grades weren't accurate, but now they are. Not to trust the old labels"

so.......I believed it and

I recently got involved again in comics and now I know my initial thoughts were correct. I'm back to the pages themselves. I might buy comics but if they're graded, will pay no more than 50% of Overstreet.

If this trend continues, I am sorry to say, I give it another 2 or 3 years before the hobby will come crashing down. Like baseball cards did back in the 80's.

Simply stated, it's surreal to me that a grade can be put on a book, and a guide that has nothing to do with the grading process, is what people use to price them. This just doesn't make any sense to me. You can say/call me whatever you want, I really don't care.

After hearing how "this society" has treated me on this thread, I would be concerned if I was investing in "a slab".

I would quit this "society" right now, but I believe this thread would be removed, so i will stay until I am thrown off.

I will now refrain from posting further on this thread.

But I will say, I was totally into this "society", thought I would enjoy it and did until yesterday, but now I have seen the "true colors" And so it appears unless I "join the club" will I be treated humanely.

My name shows up in Overstreet, that's all I'll tell you. Casarachi is a nickname my friends gave me because I'm a pianist. They also call me Spartacus.

To those that will reply and state I am full of hate, shill etc, your wrong. But apparently, that's the only way you know how to.

Good luck

Why is it that on a phone or calculator the number five has a little dot on it?

There's no room for a big dot.

When Atheists go to court, do they have to swear on the bible?

Yes but it gets *spooned*.

Why is vanilla ice cream white when vanilla extract is brown?

Because it's ice cream, not extract.

Can animals commit suicide?

Lemmings do it all the time.

What do you do when you see an endangered animal that is eating an endangered plant?

Eat both. Meat and veg.

If a doctor suddenly had a heart attack while doing surgery, would the other doctors work on the doctor or the patient?

That's a trick question. Surgeons perform surgery.

Why is it that when we "skate on thin ice", we can "get in hot water"?

The ice was thick until the water got hot.

Why do people say beans beans the magical fruit when beans are vegetables?

English people don't, they say 'beans, beans are good for your heart, the more you eat the more you fart.'

If laughter is the best medicine, who's the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who said they 'died laughing'?

Overdose.

How does Freddy Kruger wipe his butt?

He slides down the stair rail.

Couldn't be bothered to do any more.

it's surreal to me that a grade can be put on a book, and a guide that has nothing to do with the grading process, is what people use to price them. This just doesn't make any sense to me.

Of course it doesn't, people use GPA that's why.

Well, the ones who can be bothered to pay for it.

Anyone else find it really funny (and pointless) that his arguments are about 10 years old? Didn't we hear these kinds of rants about the time CGC was starting up? lol

I was recently going through my old Comic Book Marketplace mags from around that time and he sounds like one of Michael Naiman's anti-CGC rants from back in the day. lol lol lol

Hey buddy..The baeball card hobby crashed because of overproduction.It had NOTHING to do with grading.PSA and BGS and even a few smaller companies still grade cards.

Comics suffered the same fate in the early 90s as they were overproduced and non collectors were "investing" in them..

You have no clue what you are talking about,Be it cards,comics,anything.

And so what if you "know" dealers.Who cares we all do..Its nothing to brag about.

Do us all a favor and go away.You havent contributed anything to this forum at all.Just in here to stand on your soapbox and b itch and complain about things..

If you dont like it go away..PLEASE!!!

I would quit this "society" right now, but I believe this thread would be removed, so i will stay until I am thrown off.

No, your drivel will live on forever, doesn't matter whether you're a member of these boards or not.

So ... what's your new excuse for not leaving like you promised earlier?

Hey buddy..The baeball card hobby crashed because of overproduction.It had NOTHING to do with grading.PSA and BGS and even a few smaller companies still grade cards.

Comics suffered the same fate in the early 90s as they were overproduced and non collectors were "investing" in them..

And so what if you "know" dealers.Who cares we all do..Its nothing to brag about.

Do us all a favor and go away.You havent contributed anything to this forum at all.Just in here to stand on your soapbox and b itch and complain about things..

Ok, I have no choice but to respond to this. It's more complicated than the "overproduction" you stated. This is ALSO true, but I'm talking about something quite different.

Back in the 1980's baseball cards values either remained constant or were reduced. I'm talking about cards from the 30's like Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, while new card prices were skyrocking, like Ricky Hendersons. Imagine, babe ruth was falling! How could this be?

One of the price guides that was well distributed, (not Beckett) was buying up Ruths' as the prices were lowered. But the fact is, people THOUGHT prices were lowered but they weren't. What changed was instead of high guide NM/M changed to EXT/Mint. (the difference between these is similar to say an 9.2 and a 8.0 for the sake of comparison, not exactly but close enough to explain), so people thought they were LOSING money on their cards, that they were no longer increasing as they were in the past, so this made a lot of people dump their collections and get out of the hobby, which caused a mass hysteria of collection liquidation and THIS is what caused the crash. The industry then tried all different methods (as you described) to bring back the hobby, to which didn't work and added to the problem collectors were facing. Imagine, a Babe Ruth! Going from $1000, to 800, then 500! But this wasn't true. Dealers/collectors, many of whom didn't realize what was really going on, that by going from $1000 to $500, and "high guide" changing from NM/M to EXT/M actually prices were still getting higher. But not a lot of people realized this and those who knew/understood made a fortune. While others lost their shirts.(or should I say gave them away) But those who didn't understand, out #'d the ones who understood. And as a whole, the industry fell.

(for example as I am sure this is over the head of the person who I am answering) People that had 10.0's or 9.8's were selling them to dealers at 50% of "high guide" which was really half of 8.0's, not 9.2'-10.0. People didn't understand what was going on that the card they thought lost value, that was now $500 was REALLY $2500.(even at half guide their cards were worth more than "high guide") Now we all know the difference between a 9.2 and a 9.8. Back then it was mis-understood. Hence the fall of vintage baseball cards. This has nothing to do with "newly overproduced books", or in anyway shape or form, the same as the death of superman. that only added to the mess.

in this case,, THE PSA actually helped the hobby because it made people understand better. but by then, it was too late on the broader spectrum. (to the average collector)

:popcorn:

One of the price guides that was well distributed, (not Beckett) was buying up Ruths' as the prices were lowered. But the fact is, people THOUGHT prices were lowered but they weren't. What changed was instead of high guide NM/M changed to EXT/Mint. (the difference between these is similar to say an 9.2 and a 8.0 for the sake of comparison, not exactly but close enough to explain), so people thought they were LOSING money on their cards, that they were no longer increasing as they were in the past, so this made a lot of people dump their collections and get out of the hobby, which caused a mass hysteria of collection liquidation and THIS is what caused the crash. The industry then tried all different methods (as you described) to bring back the hobby, to which didn't work and added to the problem collectors were facing. Imagine, a Babe Ruth! Going from $1000, to 800, then 500! But this wasn't true. Dealers/collectors, many of whom didn't realize what was really going on, that by going from $1000 to $500, and "high guide" changing from NM/M to EXT/M actually prices were still getting higher. But not a lot of people realized this and those who knew/understood made a fortune. While others lost their shirts.(or should I say gave them away) But those who didn't understand, out #'d the ones who understood. And as a whole, the industry fell.

Dude...is this coherent? I honestly do not understand your point. I know nothing about baseball cards in the 80s (or are you talking about the 90s?), and after reading this I know less.

This isn't an insult, I could care less whether you love CGC or hate them. I'm not the hugest fan myself. But I do not get what you just said.

Ok, I have no choice but to respond to this. It's more complicated than the "overproduction" you stated. This is ALSO true, but I'm talking about something quite different.

Back in the 1980's baseball cards values either remained constant or were reduced. I'm talking about cards from the 30's like Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, while new card prices were skyrocking, like Ricky Hendersons. Imagine, babe ruth was falling! How could this be?

(for example as I am sure this is over the head of the person who I am answering) People that had 10.0's or 9.8's were selling them to dealers at 50% of "high guide" which was really half of 8.0's, not 9.2'-10.0. People didn't understand what was going on that the card they thought lost value, that was now $500 was REALLY $2500.(even at half guide their cards were worth more than "high guide") Now we all know the difference between a 9.2 and a 9.8. Back then it was mis-understood. Hence the fall of vintage baseball cards. This has nothing to do with "newly overproduced books", or in anyway shape or form, the same as the death of superman. that only added to the mess.

in this case,, THE PSA actually helped the hobby because it made people understand better. but by then, it was too late on the broader spectrum. (to the average collector)

:popcorn:

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Dude...is this coherent? I honestly do not understand your point. I know nothing about baseball cards in the 80s (or are you talking about the 90s?), and after reading this I know less.

This isn't an insult, I could care less whether you love CGC or hate them. I'm not the hugest fan myself. But I do not get what you just said.

Hi, yes, it's complicated. To simplify, (hopefully). back in those days, before grading, people recognized the "high guide" as the "highest possible value". So when the highest possible value went from NM to EX/NM and the values remained the same, or were lowered, they weren't really lowered. They actually increased (doubled/tripled!), but people didn't understand it. It took a while to "get it" until grading came along and showed people. I'm talking about "un-sofisticated" collectors. The average person. If you see $100-500-1000 in the guide, you think $1000 is the highest value. Then dealers would offer "half of guide", ... But some, were NOT telling you your MINT card is REALLY worth 10X guide. Rather tell you they would give you 50% of $high guide, IF you card was MINT. This went on for several years. (many dealers sold to other dealers not understanding what was going on, the older ones)..Cards appeared to stay the same, in some cases lowered, but were actually increasing.(as far as vintage cards)

Many people, including myself, ( I was in my teens then), didn't realize that a card could be worth more, (much more!) than the highest listed price. When grading came along, it helped folks understand the situation but by then it was too late for many people as they arleady liquidated. When found out, got pissed and left the hobby.

if this doesn't make sense tell me and I'll try again. I appreciate you trying to listen.

Sometimes one writes too fast, trying to explain what one means. My apologies.

I had a dog once and he bit me on the nose so I took him to the vets, he said the problem was althought he had four legs (the dog) one was shorter than the other. People didn't get it as it was actually longer, so when I took him for walks and he didn't limp I was really losing money.

I took him back to the vets and had some pedigree papers falsified, so while his leg was shorter, it was really longer and now he limped as his papers said he was really a dog.

I hope you understand.

Imagine,Your card is MINT. You go to a dealer and he gives you 50% of $200(highest price in the guide). A fair price right? But your card is not "high guide/EX/MT, it's MINT) which would have been $800. (NM $400/MINT 800) So, you should have gotten $400, not $100.

But many dealers who didn't understand, weren't going to pay you 2x the highest price shown. How could they explain to their customers they wanted 4X the highest price in their guide. And if they did, they would divulge to them what was going on and have to pay them more for their mint cards. Until slabbed cards got huge prices at auction in NM/MINT & MINT.

(yes, during the mid 80's)People thought they were losing money, that cards were dead, but they were more lively than people know. (if they were in TOP condition)

The guide USED to say $200 in MINT, but a lot of people didn't notice that MINT changed to NM, then NM went to EX/MINT. (which the highest price remained constant.), they only looked at it as "the highest guide value") A lot of people thought the prices remained the same so stopped buying guides. They would go to the book store, check their top cards, if the "highest" price was the same, they didn't bother buying the guide.

The 1990's only added problems with people investing in new cards to send their kids to college, based on VINTAGE card sales values.