• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New look is now live - Highgradecomics.com

101 posts in this topic

I've passed this along.

I'm not seeing the same "break out" you refer to and I'm using both IE and Firefox.

Bob

I think it looks great and a lot more interesting to browse.

I did notice the menu font is a little large and as a result some of the choices that take up two lines like "want-list service" and "company profile" are partially cut off by the 1 1/2 line field space. It looked that way in both firefox and explorer.

Yep, I'm seeing this in both Safari & Firefox as well.

The problem is that they're trying to use point sizes (pt) for the menu - which is an absolutely awful choice for any sort of web work as it's not consistent across browsers & platforms (and peoples' personal browser settings can influence how it's displayed as well).

Bob - tell your webguy to switch from points (pt) to pixels (px), and then tweak the menu so it fits within the fixed-width containers.

It also looks like the menu should be pushed in about 3 more pixels to the left - right now it's breaking out of the main container. And the search form field is too wide, and pushing the hour glass out of the sidebar:

sc1-highgradecomics.jpg

I'm assuming you are referring to Bob's best page which has multiple pages. I'm not sure this will get fixed right away but I'll note it.

With some very hard work from Sckao and my web developer we are happy to announce that our new look is live tonight. This is not the end of the changes.

Hope that everyone likes the new look.

Bob

Like the new site Bob. The link in your sig. line does not work.

When searching a multipaged list on your site I must scroll back up to the top to advance to the next page. Should be at the bottom of the list.

Yes. Surprised to find that you don't limit the number of matches per page when I search your site. Captain America returns 705 matches on one page. Not that I mind as I get tired of clicking next page all the time.

I do think your site is much improved and rivals any other comic dealer. The site is easy to look at yet has all the important functions and information located on the main page. Congrats.

I've passed this along.

I'm not seeing the same "break out" you refer to and I'm using both IE and Firefox.

The "break out" doesn't happen in IE - in Firefox on a PC, it's only off by 1 pixel. In Firefox & Safari on a Mac, it's off by 3 pixels.

Also, this is what your site looks like in IE6 on a PC (click on it for a full-size screenshot):

sc2-highgradecomics.jpg

The site is in flux for the next couple of days as little bugs get worked out.

The Nav bar is a known problem and will be fixed. (The problem has to do with the way it's coded and because of some font replacement technology that's not working correctly right now.)

(thumbs u

I've passed this along.

The "break out" doesn't happen in IE - in Firefox on a PC, it's only off by 1 pixel. In Firefox & Safari on a Mac, it's off by 3 pixels.

Also, this is what your site looks like in IE6 on a PC (click on it for a full-size screenshot):

sc2-highgradecomics.jpg

Unfortunately, testing is mainly being done on IE 8.0. Firefox, Chrome, and iPhone.

I'll have to check IE 7.0 and IE 6.0.

(The changes are also being implemented by Bob's programmer.)

In this case, the Left Nav is being stretched by the search box which is causing the content to shift to the bottom. It'll be fixed. (thumbs u

Thanks for the bug reports!

Great work, Bob. Really well organized.

Re: the font size in the menu (and elsewhere): as mschmidt said, if you spec your fonts in pixel size instead of point size, you'll have control over how big or small they appear in people's browsers. It's great to give users control of body text size, when the site design can accommodate the reflow of the larger text. But pixel-size font is expecially useful for text that has to fit within a fixed space, like menus.

Right now, I am able to increase or decrease all the type on your site using the Command-+ or Command-minus (I'm on a Mac), which plays havoc with the menus.

I went to extremes with these screen grabs to demonstrate the control users have over the font size:

Screenshot2010-02-24at43931AM.png

Screenshot2010-02-24at43951AM.png