• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

7 hours to go on the TEC 27 8.0......

54 posts in this topic

There will still be live internet, floor and phone bidding tomorrow.

(thumbs u

Just the "Absentee" portion of the bidding will be over tonite.

Not much change in the price.... 425,000 (507,875 with BP)

I feel a little sorry for the owner of this book knowing that 16% of the final value will go to Heritage.... but that's another story.

Where did the 16% come from? Heritage usually takes 10% from the seller and 19.5% from the buyer, so 29.5% of the final value goes to Heritage. But, all that's negotiable, especially on an item of this magnitude.

I feel a little sorry for the owner of this book knowing that 16% of the final value will go to Heritage.... but that's another story.

Where did the 16% come from? Heritage usually takes 10% from the seller and 19.5% from the buyer, so 29.5% of the final value goes to Heritage. But, all that's negotiable, especially on an item of this magnitude.

you rang?

.195/1.195 = 16%

I agree that it doesn't paint an accurate picture but that's no doubt where he got the math

I would bet that the owner did some negotiating.

(thumbs u

And what may I ask is the meaning and purpose of this?

How can someone over the internet compete with someone live on the floor?

I'm picturing a stock exhange floor where everyone is screaming numbers and handing out slips?!? :makepoint:

(thumbs u

I'm picturing a stock exhange floor where everyone is screaming numbers and handing out slips?!? :makepoint:

It's actually fun to watch.

The Internet Absentee bidding is generally for people who can't bid live the day of the event.

The Internet bid obviously serves as a proxy bid unless/until you get bid up to your max.

(thumbs u

It's actually fun to watch.

The Internet Absentee bidding is generally for people who can't bid live the day of the event.

The Internet bid obviously serves as a proxy bid unless/until you get bid up to your max.

:gossip: Be careful not to hit that instant bid button. I did that once.

Could somebody please explain the live-bidding alternatives to me? I've read Heritage's instructions twice and it's still not clear. I can't do phone -bidding, since I'll be at work (unless I can...take that initial call "approximately 5 minutes before the lot is up.") But odds are I wouldn't be able to be on the phone during the actual lots.

And I can't do web bidding live, since ditto. So...if I wake up tomorrow and want some books for more than they've closed tonight...I can still call and/or fax them my real proxy bid tomorrow, right?

Could somebody please explain the live-bidding alternatives to me? I've read Heritage's instructions twice and it's still not clear. I can't do phone -bidding, since I'll be at work (unless I can...take that initial call "approximately 5 minutes before the lot is up.") But odds are I wouldn't be able to be on the phone during the actual lots.

And I can't do web bidding live, since ditto. So...if I wake up tomorrow and want some books for more than they've closed tonight...I can still call and/or fax them my real proxy bid tomorrow, right?

I sugest you place an absentee bid today.

(thumbs u

I've actually attended several live floor sessions (including sitting next to the buyer of the Action 7 which made everyone go :o )

It's not near the chaos that you might think. It's very well organized and the free food and snacks are a nice extra because they cater it in usually. ;)

Very few of the items are actually on display or in the auction room during the live portion. They are shown via monitor around the room. You can view specific items though before the auction on the higher floor (which is like an entire floor built as a vault) and on rare occassions you can have them bring something down during the auction to view. I've done that for a piece of art before as I wanted to be able to physically see it before I bid on it.

The one live auction I attended (locally here in suburban DC) had a glitch. The auctioneer screwed up and those of us in the room didn't have a chance to bid one of the key lots. It sold to an internet bidder (live Ebay auction) for less than at least two of us in the room were willing to pay.

The resounding WTF! heard around the room was amazing.

This is just anecdotal; I have no doubt the folks at Heritage are pros; it was just an isolated (and frustrating) experience.

Maybe, but I doubt it. They'll likely ask why you didn't put them in last night or why you can't put them in later today. I'd put one in tonight if I were you, I see no reason not to do it now as compared to tomorrow morning.