• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So who's watching the 82nd Oscars on abc?

113 posts in this topic

Currently watching the red carpet interviews of actors and actresses. When James Cameron was being interviewed, there was a gentleman who looked exactly like Roy on the left side of the tv screen.. Or could it?

Another thread about me???

:frustrated:

Jason Reitman the director.. Thought it was you man

jason-reitman-2009-12-1-0-40-54.jpg

Well when I go to see the Celtics play, I look up to the sky and see 17 banners...So you do the math! lol

Don't care about the banners.

When I see the Celtics play, I see a flopper and dirty playing point guard, a dirty powerforward, a dirty center, an arrogant small forward and a great shooting guard.

They need all of those banners to wipe up after the dirtiest team in the NBA.

Kobe and Lebron are the best players currently in the NBA. Kobe of course the best closer beating out about 5-6 teams in the final seconds. He can't do it every night like in Orlando today.

I think the Lakers are the best franchise in the NBA.. They have the best winning percentage in the playoffs and in the regular season edging out the Celtics and I believe they have more Conference titles than the Celtics. The celtics do in fact have more titles, but the Lakers will soon surpass them. So everyone who is hating on the Lakers, all I can say is we shall see who will win the championship this season. Nuff said

Can you believe that Citizen Kane "The Greatest Movie of All Time" and my favorite movie never won Best Picture at the Oscars :o:pullhair:

Well, wouldn't be the first time the Academy made a mistake.

:gossip: *1977

Annie Hall is a triumph of the American spirit!

:baiting:

Has Annie Hall influenced & changed the face of FILM? Pop-Culture? inspired tons of young film making talent? Created a toy line that cemented the modern day action figure industry?

Actually...Yeah. Annie Hall did that...Except the toy part. But I guess the new barometer for knowing how good a film is is to see if a toy-line follows it.

Can you believe that Citizen Kane "The Greatest Movie of All Time" and my favorite movie never won Best Picture at the Oscars :o:pullhair:

Has Annie Hall influenced & changed the face of FILM? Pop-Culture? inspired tons of young film making talent? Created a toy line that cemented the modern day action figure industry?

Actually...Yeah. Annie Hall did that...Except the toy part. But I guess the new barometer for knowing how good a film is is to see if a toy-line follows it.

Allen really should've done a toy line for Annie Hall for credibility's sake. Talk about a missed opportunity. :insane:

Of course, if we looked back now and picked the best movies from each year, the choices would be much different for many years.

That's the interesting thing about awards, they need to be given to the movie deemed "best" at that exact moment, without regard to what the director did later or how quality sci-fi/period/historical pieces have the innate ability to defy dating. There are some great 60's and 70's movies that some people cannot get by the "big shirt collars" and "weird fashions" to enjoy.

In other cases, subsequent sequels can either help or harm the original, such as ESB (helped), Rocky 2, 3, 4... (HURT!), and French Connection 2 (neither) so it's dangerous to "go back in time" as you can never view the work from the same perspective - in hindsight, you might give it to Taxi Driver rather than Rocky, simply based on the career trajectories of Stallone and Scorsese. But in 1976, voters just had the movies to judge by.

That's why it's impossible to compare Star Wars with Annie Hall in 2010 terms, since Annie Hall was "of its time" and is now "dated", while the fantasy story of Star Wars is immortal. In 1977, Oscar voters picked Annie Hall as the best movie at that moment in time, and that's the way it is.

What you're looking for is the AFI Top 100, which takes a look at the overall impact of a movie and its lasting appeal over a longer period of time. The Oscars are all about the here-and-now, and (rightfully so) don't concern themselves with how a movie might be viewed in 2030.

Wow the Hurt Locker cleaned it up!!! Thought it was going to be Avatar

No way, the movie (rightfully) had no other major nominations in the acting or writing categories, which guaranteed that it would only pick up a few meaningless "visual" awards.

I had faith in the Academy that they'd actually pick a quality movie for the Best Pic, with a good -script, acting, score, etc. Bigelow was a lock for Best Director, that was a given.

Well when I go to see the Celtics play, I look up to the sky and see 17 banners...So you do the math! lol

When I see the Celtics play, I see a flopper and dirty playing point guard, a dirty powerforward, a dirty center, an arrogant small forward and a great shooting guard.

Why would you care about banners? You're not from Boston.

I was being sarcastic. I dont think Annie Hall should have won anything, frankly. :eyeroll:

District 9 did pick up (as JC calls it) one meaningless Oscar. Avatar had several meaningless Oscars.

What I paid attention to was the applause each movie got as it was introduced. Avatar and The Hurt Locker seemed to get about the same. The rest were "the rest".

I must say that I hadn't heard of Precious and am going to make a point of seeing it. I just got Blindside yesterday but haven't seen it yet. Both look very good from the trailers. Going to see Hurt Locker also, naturally.

The Academy Award participants need to learn their lines more and read less. Alec Baldwin was embarrassing.

Thank goodness. :banana: I would be ashamed of my home team, had that been the case.

Thank goodness. :banana: I would be ashamed of my home team, had that been the case.

Banners = championships...so I guess whatever team you route for has none!

And I have watched nearly every game the C's have played over the last few years and have yet to see a "dirty" play by any of them. And wtf is a flopper??

Banners = championships...so I guess whatever team you route for has none!

And I have watched nearly every game the C's have played over the last few years and have yet to see a "dirty" play by any of them. And wtf is a flopper??

You must be blind or watch every game with rose-colored specs. You've got three guys in the starting lineup alone, that are constantly trying to start a fight with any and everyone. Enjoy your banners, as it looks like they help dilute the *spoon* stain, that is the Boston Celtics.

Rasheed Wallace: This man is mentally unbalanced; the embodiment of sleeze and bad sportsmanship. He is a nasty person. The type of person, to where if he was not lucky enough to make the NBA, he would be in prison.

Rajon Rondo: "Flopper". This man belongs in Hollywood, not Boston. At the slightest touch of the pinky finger, he will go flying into the 5th row; or fly backwards like he was shot point blank with a 12 gauge. He obviously studied the ways of Vlade Divac, immensely. Not only that, but upon standing up from one of his Academy Award winning performances, he will then attempt to pick a fight with someone. I can't wait for the day that someone takes him on his offer. He makes a living off of being an actor and a belligerent.

Kendrick Perkins: I call him "Moose". What is this guy always trying to fight somebody for? What is he so angry about?

Paul Pierce: Hearing this guy speak at the All-Star game was all it took. It was nice to see Barkley rip him a new one, during the commentary.

Glen Davis: There is a reason he is known as "Big Baby".

The only time this team was sleezier than it is now, is when they had Sam Cassel--the grandmaster of all that is and all that has ever been sleeze in the NBA.