• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeremy Renner of the Hurt Locker is Cap

73 posts in this topic

I'm just hoping it's better than this...

That wasn't a real movie, so don't worry about it.

Everyone knows this and FF were sham-productions designed to meet contractual or other legal requirements, (heck, Captain America was never even released theatrically here) so why are they always brought up like someone actually *intended* this to be a real studio movie?

because it was indeed a "movie", regardless of what the circumstances were Marvel "did"

sign off on it.

:P

I would have thought the role of Steve Rogers/Cap would have Brad Pitt all over it.

:roflmao:

Anyone who fashions themselves as a "serious actor" and has enough bank to live 100 lives (like Pitt does) would never ever lower themselves to star as a superhero in a funny book movie.

In fact, I don't believe any A-list actor would ever do that, it's usually B-listers looking to move up the pecking order (Bale, Maguire), virtual unknowns (Jackman, Routh), "fallen stars" (Downey) character actors looking for a job (Stewart,McKellen, Cox, etc.), or even financially-decrepit stars (Cage) looking for yet another paycheck.

The only real exception would be Ed Norton (who absolutely hates blockbusters), but he's not really an A-lister and only played Bruce Banner anyway, and probably got a few indie movies greenlit for doing it.

But barring an insane contract stipulation, or financial ruin, there is no way the Cruises, Pitts, Hanks, Kidmans, Depps, Crowes, Washingtons, Laws, Roberts, etc. would ever dawn tights for a funny book flick. Guys like Clooney might have tights hidden in their closets, but not after hitting A-list status. And someone like Will SMith only signed up for Tonight He Comes because it was a deconstruction/satire on funny book heroes.

There was a part in a book I read (can't remember the exact title) where the author described the process of offering Warren Beatty the lead in the first Superman movie, and what he said after trying on the suit. lol

On top of that, I don't want an "A List" celebrity. I think Brad Pitt is a good actor, but if he were playing Cap, I'd never lose sight of the fact that it was Brad Pitt up on the screen.

I just googled it, and it looks like he's interested in playing Hawkeye:

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2009/11/the-hurt-lockers-jeremy-renner.html

He strikes me as a great Hawkeye. For some reason I just don't see the Cap angle.

Anyone who fashions themselves as a "serious actor" and has enough bank to live 100 lives (like Pitt does) would never ever lower themselves to star as a superhero in a funny book movie.

In fact, I don't believe any A-list actor would ever do that, it's usually B-listers looking to move up the pecking order (Bale, Maguire), virtual unknowns (Jackman, Routh), "fallen stars" (Downey) character actors looking for a job (Stewart,McKellen, Cox, etc.), or even financially-decrepit stars (Cage) looking for yet another paycheck.

The only real exception would be Ed Norton (who absolutely hates blockbusters), but he's not really an A-lister and only played Bruce Banner anyway, and probably got a few indie movies greenlit for doing it.

But barring an insane contract stipulation, or financial ruin, there is no way the Cruises, Pitts, Hanks, Kidmans, Depps, Crowes, Washingtons, Laws, Roberts, etc. would ever dawn tights for a funny book flick. Guys like Clooney might have tights hidden in their closets, but not after hitting A-list status. And someone like Will SMith only signed up for Tonight He Comes because it was a deconstruction/satire on funny book heroes.

There was a part in a book I read (can't remember the exact title) where the author described the process of offering Warren Beatty the lead in the first Superman movie, and what he said after trying on the suit. lol

I believe the book was "Adventures in the Screen Trade" by screenwriting god William Goldman ("Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid," "Marathon Man," "The Princess Bride"). In either that book or the sequel ("Which Lie Did I Tell: More Adventures in the Screen Trade") he talks about how they offered Superman to everybody (Warren Beatty, James Caan, Robert Redford, Nick Nolte, etc.) before having to go with an unknown. It's pretty funny.

But the times have changed since then as the material's gotten better. Post-Batman Begins, I think we'll see no problem getting A-Listers to play superheroes, provided the -script is there.

For example, I could see Will Smith playing Captain America, as was rumored about a year ago. Or (were he taller, Matt Damon). And while Robert Downey, Jr. might have done Iron Man hoping for a career comeback, the film could easily have turned out to be merely Ghost Rider or Daredevil quality.

I believe the book was "Adventures in the Screen Trade" by screenwriting god William Goldman ("Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid," "Marathon Man," "The Princess Bride"). In either that book or the sequel ("Which Lie Did I Tell: More Adventures in the Screen Trade") he talks about how they offered Superman to everybody (Warren Beatty, James Caan, Robert Redford, Nick Nolte, etc.) before having to go with an unknown. It's pretty funny.

But the times have changed since then as the material's gotten better. Post-Batman Begins, I think we'll see no problem getting A-Listers to play superheroes, provided the -script is there.

For example, I could see Will Smith playing Captain America, as was rumored about a year ago. Or (were he taller, Matt Damon). And while Robert Downey, Jr. might have done Iron Man hoping for a career comeback, the film could easily have turned out to be merely Ghost Rider or Daredevil quality.

Jon Favreau had a lot to do with Iron Man's success.

I think Jeremy Piven would be a good Red Skull.

so who would be a good candidate for The Skull???

hm

probably too obvious but christoph waltz

I like Christopher Walken better. :grin:

Who?

But it was never released to theaters, so I guess a home movie I made about Spider-man qualifies too? lol

Did Marvel sign off on it???

Theatrically unreleased is unreleased, and if you want to go back to the studio vaults for similar movies, you'd find a PILE of absolute stinkers.

I'm just tired of brainless fanboys commenting about a POS like Ghost Rider or Daredevil that "at least it's better than those old FF or Cap movies". doh!doh!doh!

so who would be a good candidate for The Skull???

hm

probably too obvious but christoph waltz

I like Christopher Walken better. :grin:

Maybe Samuel L. Jackson...seems to be in everything anyways!!

don't want to freak anyone out but reports are that the role is close to being offered to john krasinksi (jim from the office). the guy comes off as an amiable bungler in every role. he's been in more dogs than lassie. doesn't give me the same warm and fuzzies as when they announced robert downey jr as tony stark/iron man.

don't want to freak anyone out but reports are that the role is close to being offered to john krasinksi (jim from the office). the guy comes off as an amiable bungler in every role. he's been in more dogs than lassie. doesn't give me the same warm and fuzzies as when they announced robert downey jr as tony stark/iron man.

To fuel the fire even more...IMDB has the cast of Avengers as SET with Krasinski as Cap and Renner as Hawkeye.

It's on the INterWebs it must be so.. :ohnoez:

I had no idea this guy was up for Hawkeye when I started this thread.

I had no idea who this guy was before watching The Hurt Locker last night.

But it was never released to theaters, so I guess a home movie I made about Spider-man qualifies too? lol

Did Marvel sign off on it???

Theatrically unreleased is unreleased, and if you want to go back to the studio vaults for similar movies, you'd find a PILE of absolute stinkers.

I'm just tired of brainless fanboys commenting about a POS like Ghost Rider or Daredevil that "at least it's better than those old FF or Cap movies". doh!doh!doh!

yawn! you are becoming colossally boring. I saw this Cap movie on TV in the late 70's...

Even though it didn't match whatever criteria you have dreamed up in

your living in the mommy's basement head of yours, it's still a movie.

But regardless go on and drivel you pointless banter until the cows come home...

lol

To fuel the fire even more...IMDB has the cast of Avengers as SET with Krasinski as Cap and Renner as Hawkeye.

It's on the INterWebs it must be so.. :ohnoez:

As much as I like the Office and enjoy John as Jim Halpert,I hope this site is correct.It states he is out of the running as Cap :applause:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/03/09/john-krasinski-not-captain-america-chris-evans-mike-vogel-and-garrett-hedlund-in-the-running/