• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action comics 1-24 bound volume

76 posts in this topic

Later kicked myself for letting other people talk me out of it. (same year I got talked into some stuff I was told were much better "investments"; but they're still not worth more than I paid) Moral: make more decisions based on what you like and less decisions based on what others tell you that you're supposed to like or not like.

ya know, I feel this happens alot in our hobby, I know I'm guilty of it. when I first came to these boards there was a STRONG anti-restoration feeling going on. to where people would make you feel like a degenerate if you owned a restored (even slightly) book. so I passed on so many good restored books. I wish I had listened to my own judgement at the time.

I do feel that the resto stigma is loosing up a bit, due to a few, (Roy, Gator to name a few) collectors showing us beautiful restored books that are more attainable to the average collector than their unrestored counterparts.

nobody wants a frankenbook, but a nice book with minimal or moderate work done I feel more collectors are starting to warm up to.

should be interesting to see how things changes over time.

I have seen so many people pass over a restored book that the book would sell for less than what it was worth before it was restored. It's illogical to me. If a book was a 2.0 or a 3.0 before resto, then it should be worth at least that after it's restored acc. to my logic tree.

It'll be interesting to watch what happens to restored books as these big keys break the $1MIL barrier.

I like that logic tree (thumbs u

I would tend to agree with that logic too. But you cannot ignore the fact how many collectors simply do not like books to be messed with, nor do you always know the condition/value of a book before it was restored.

For the most part, collectors would simply rather own an unrestored 3.0 ish copy, over a restored copy that has a higher apparent grade because it is no longer 100% original. A higher apparent grade does not always trump not being original when it comes to what people are willing to pay.

But it's hard to discuss price points on restored books because the amount of work can vary greatly, as can the scarcity of the book.

To me it all comes down to looking at what's in front of me, and determining if what was done to make the book look the way it does, interferes with the book looking as original as possible. In other words, the QUALITY of work done not the QUANTITY plays a big part in determining if I would want it in my collection at any price point.

My only restored book. I'm quite fond of it...

action47.jpg

Too funny,

I almost bought a beater copy of this book last night on Ebay to restore and keep, but even the beater price was too much.

Nice copy btw.

and to get back to the original idea of this thread, I would buy the Action bound volume and keep them as they are, and be just thrilled with that. but alas, I am too poor. :sorry:
Same here Alton! (thumbs u

I would tend to agree with that logic too. But you cannot ignore the fact how many collectors simply do not like books to be messed with, nor do you always know the condition/value of a book before it was restored.

For the most part, collectors would simply rather own an unrestored 3.0 ish copy, over a restored copy that has a higher apparent grade because it is no longer 100% original. A higher apparent grade does not always trump not being original when it comes to what people are willing to pay.

But it's hard to discuss price points on restored books because the amount of work can vary greatly, as can the scarcity of the book.

To me it all comes down to looking at what's in front of me, and determining if what was done to make the book look the way it does interferes with the book still looking as original as possible. In other words, the QUALITY of work done not the QUANTITY plays a big part in determining if I would want it in my collection at any price point.

Kenny, I think a large part of it has to do with education and lack of understanding.

Resto is still a black art...an unknown quantity...and therefore people have a tough time decided what a book should be worth to them.

That's one of the reasons that I enjoy buying books raw...so that I can see them, inside and out and therefore easier determine what has and has not been done to them.

Big props for all the efforts you make to educate people.

(thumbs u

are you talking about the entire book, or just the cover, I've seen books with more resto on the cover than what was originally there. again, only on Extensive books.

If you're talking just the cover, then yes, 50% of the cover can be restored on an Extensive resto job.

That's still a small percentage of the entire book through.

50% of the cover is about half...... right? :insane: That's a lot!

I would say most restored books that land in an Extensive label are from an accumulation of moderate things. With heavy CT always pushing it towards Extensive.

Not often it is worth the cost to extensively restore a heavily damaged book with large areas missing.

Personally, I wish people included before scans of restored books when they sell them so people can judge for themselves just how extensive the work done was.

Makes it all the more impressive when you see good work imho.

To me it all comes down to looking at what's in front of me, and determining if what was done to make the book look the way it does interferes with the book still looking as original as possible. In other words, the QUALITY of work done not the QUANTITY plays a big part in determining if I would want it in my collection at any price point.

Kenny, I think a large part of it has to do with education and lack of understanding.

Resto is still a black art...an unknown quantity...and therefore people have a tough time decided what a book should be worth to them.

That's one of the reasons that I enjoy buying books raw...so that I can see them, inside and out and therefore easier determine what has and has not been done to them.

Big props for all the efforts you make to educate people.

(thumbs u

Truth be told Roy, I still have the cringe factor initially when I pull a raw book off a wall only to be told it is restored. At a glance it was not what I first hoped it was, and there is a let down. That is part of the turn off for many collectors I suppose, being dissapointed a book is not original. People don't set out to buy restored books, most talk themselves into it for obvious reasons. Cost and scarcity.

But as you know, there are several collectors who are more then willing to pay a small premium(in restored book pricing) for slight P books because they realize so little was done to the book. It is basically 100% original.

The big question is if someday the market will catch up or not. If it does I wish I had the cash now to buy some big books I see selling for a song because they simply have a sealed tear, or reinforced centerfold.

are you talking about the entire book, or just the cover, I've seen books with more resto on the cover than what was originally there. again, only on Extensive books.

If you're talking just the cover, then yes, 50% of the cover can be restored on an Extensive resto job.

That's still a small percentage of the entire book through.

50% of the cover is about half...... right? :insane: That's a lot!

50% of the cover is a lot....for a cover, but a cover is just one wrap.

When put into perspective, it's still a small portion of the book.

I know I have my pet peeves when it comes to restoration, certain types are just non starters for me and really require a fall off in price for me to consider.

But my real pet peeve is the tear seal with rice paper gets PLOD while a piece of tape up and down the inner spine (meaning the book either had a loose cover or was restapled) gets a low grade but BLOG (Blue Label of Goodness). OK, even a small piece of tape at the staple is the more likely scenario but it still gets a BLOG. Rice paper PLOD. That's just retarded.

I really do wish CGC would go to the Blue Label with notes model. I just don't understand why they don't and I've never bee satisfied with the non explanation out there.

I really do wish CGC would go to the Blue Label with notes model. I just don't understand why they don't and I've never bee satisfied with the non explanation out there.

We talked about this extensively a few years back and there was the usual accusations about agendas, yelling, strikes handed out and general disarray. Well, ok the strikes were an exaggeration but they could have been handed out the way things went.

I agree with you that a blue label with a detailed explanation would be terrific for not only educating people on restored books but also removing the stigma...because that stigma is just irrational to me.

The only reason that I would get an "irked" reaction (as my friend Kenny said) when pulling a book down from the wall would be if I was expecting to get an unrestored book cheap and then finding out it was restored.

The reaction is usually based simply on people's expectations, and those have been managed poorly by the hobby because of dishonesty, lack of education and lack of understanding IMO.

I've been given a good swift kick in the azz via PM for being remiss in my mentioning of another board member who is also helping to destigmatize restored books through education and in depth discussions of the process.

Zeman (our very own Kenny).

:foryou:

lol

That doesn't sound like Kenny, to go arse kicking via PM. Drunken rant PMs maybe. Arse kicking ones, no.

How did I miss this?

It was pretty ugly.

I yelled :mad: , cried :cry: , and stomped around like a little girl :ohnoez:until Alton mentioned my name too.

Saw them for the first time in Fishler's glass case in San Diego back in 1993, then again (if it is the same one) in Geppi's vault in 1995

I have a picture of them somewhere

Ditto, I think I might have a pic of this. Although I wasn't at Geppi's vault I have some pics.

It really is beautiful... but too painful for me to even look at for long let alone buy (even if I did have the scratch)... the only bound volumes I dig are Harveys... give me a bound sad sack and hot stuff 1-20 and 95k everyday )

I think this is a great set and piece of americana history...however, I think the idea of it selling for 100K is "wishful" thinking... my guess is there is either a hefty reserve on this set (closer to 250K, if I "had" to guess) or some plan in place for the set (given it has never been broken up, my guess is it is more valuable in tact, than pieced out)... just some random thoughts

I have seen so many people pass over a restored book that the book would sell for less than what it was worth before it was restored. It's illogical to me. If a book was a 2.0 or a 3.0 before resto, then it should be worth at least that after it's restored acc. to my logic tree.

It's logical because a restored book is an unknown quantity to a buyer because we don't exactly know what grade that book was prior to restoration. If CGC noted an estimated pre-restoration grade on the label, then we'd have a way to assign a baseline market value to a restored book. Lacking that, they just seem like a big, unknown risk that few are willing to take. :blush:

+1 (thumbs u