• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,219 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2022 at 2:36 AM, Axe Elf said:

Maybe it's my eyes, but it still seems slightly out of focus.  I would think it would be hard to scan a slab, since the scanner would be focused on whatever is directly on top of the glass--i.e., the front edge of the slab--rather than an eighth to a quarter of an inch behind it (where the actual front of the book is).

Yeah! Not your eyes, looks out of focus to me too.

On 12/29/2022 at 7:30 AM, batmiesta said:

I literally just bought it yesterday so I have no idea, how would I you find out? 

Maybe look up the scanner specifications? I think a CCD sensor is needed to scan items that do not sit directly against the scanner glass. At least that's what I've read. I purchased an used Microtek scanner on the bay. It has the CCD sensor, and works pretty good for scanning slabs. I think I paid about $150 for it.

On 12/29/2022 at 2:03 PM, batmiesta said:

Just checked and it doesn't, got a trial from Vuescan, looks a lot better, I think. 

Yeah, that's what the problem is. The scanner appears to be focusing on the outside/frame of the slab, and not on the mag.. It's got a big ole bed on it, though. I'm not able to lay a mag. slab directly on the glass of my scanner. Too small of an area. Slabbed comics aren't a problem.

Because I wasn't able to find any drivers for it, I had to purchase Vuescan to get my scanner to work with my Computer.

On 12/29/2022 at 10:48 AM, chevalmeow said:

You can check this thread about legal scanners.  It has a list of scanners that are recommended for slabs.

I purchased a Plustek A3 Large Format Flat Bed scanner awhile back and had to return it.  It can't image slabs properly.  There is always a glare on the image. But my review follows:

bad_scan.thumb.png.7a99863b57a9f64c7a68501be43458e0.png