• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,219 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2022 at 2:10 PM, Axe Elf said:

Very nice copies!

MCS VG's across the board.  Lots of technical flaws that add up... they're not as crazy under graded as some books I've gotten from MCS... but still probably closer to 5.5 than 4.0, and they all present above their technical grade.

On 11/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, OtherEric said:

still probably closer to 5.5 than 4.0

Well, not seeing the back covers, that #20 has to be at least 8.0, the #28 in the 6.5 to 7.0 range, and the #25 looks the most scuffy at MAYBE a 5.5, but probably more like a 6.0.

MCS is almost comical in its grading, which makes their pricing comical as well.

"$100 for a 4.5?"  "That's ok, it's really an 8.0..."

If it's worth an 8.0 price, then it should be graded as an 8.0.  It seems like kind of a game to get people to "overpay" for the listed grades, and then be happy about it because "they got more than they paid for."  Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having an "objective" grading standard in the first place?

On 11/18/2022 at 2:47 PM, Axe Elf said:

Well, not seeing the back covers, that #20 has to be at least 8.0, the #28 in the 6.5 to 7.0 range, and the #25 looks the most scuffy at MAYBE a 5.5, but probably more like a 6.0.

MCS is almost comical in its grading, which makes their pricing comical as well.

"$100 for a 4.5?"  "That's ok, it's really an 8.0..."

If it's worth an 8.0 price, then it should be graded as an 8.0.  It seems like kind of a game to get people to "overpay" for the listed grades, and then be happy about it because "they got more than they paid for."  Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having an "objective" grading standard in the first place?

The 20 has several dents that knock it down, as well as some yellowing on the back cover.  It's a prime candidate for a clean & press if I was into that.  The 28 has a small paper pull on the spine... maybe 2x3 mm at most?... as well as some staining on the back.  The 25 has several dents, and on the back there is some ink transfer and a fairly serious dust shadow.

The thing is, MCS doesn't charge 8.0 prices for their 4.5... they charge 4.5 prices.  I guess they feel on lower value books it's better to have high churn and no returns for overgrading.  The model seems to work quite well for them.

The 20 is stunning for a black cover, that's for sure.

On 11/18/2022 at 5:06 PM, OtherEric said:

The 20 has several dents that knock it down, as well as some yellowing on the back cover.  It's a prime candidate for a clean & press if I was into that.  The 28 has a small paper pull on the spine... maybe 2x3 mm at most?... as well as some staining on the back.  The 25 has several dents, and on the back there is some ink transfer and a fairly serious dust shadow.

Well, ok; like I said, I can't see the back covers or the spines, so I could be overgrading based on the front covers alone.

And I won't argue with you over MCS pricing, but I'll just say that in general, my experience has been that the MCS listings usually seem to be higher than the prices for similarly graded books listed elsewhere--but the MCS books tend to be in better condition than their listed grade to balance out the higher prices.

(Granted, my experience with pricing, grading, and collecting comics is extremely limited.)

On 11/18/2022 at 5:07 PM, OtherEric said:

And the effort to keep well ahead of the reading club continues.  7 more issues and I'm good through June 2023:

Creepy_025.jpg

Creepy_028.jpg

Eerie_020.jpg

Creepy number 20 above looks like the Beatles🎶🎶

On 11/20/2022 at 8:01 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Creepy number 20 above looks like the Beatles🎶🎶

Maybe now, but those three were alive back then.

On 11/21/2022 at 2:44 PM, The Lions Den said:

A sharp copy of a scarce book, and if it's genuine (which appears to be the case) the Zacherley signature is a nice bonus...  (thumbsu

Thank you!  One of my collection favorites because of the signature.  It fits so well on the cover.  And that silver sharpie!  Purchased it raw on EBay about a year and a half ago.  I was sweating I was going to get the dreaded GREEN label.  Very relieved. :cloud9:

On 11/21/2022 at 4:09 PM, Elroy Jetson said:

Thank you!  One of my collection favorites because of the signature.  It fits so well on the cover.  And that silver sharpie!  Purchased it raw on EBay about a year and a half ago.  I was sweating I was going to get the dreaded GREEN label.  Very relieved. :cloud9:

It would seem that because of the historical significance, neat placement and wonderful flourish, the signature wasn't considered a huge problem...  :grin: