• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can I do to help improve the boards?

221 posts in this topic

Change your name back, please.

I don't like the great googa.

Povertyrow rocks.

I kind of like the great googa view

I've pulled out all the stops. I am using the power of haiku to try and reach him.

Heartfelt pangs abound

reason expressing sorrow

I sense the sake

Hi Andy,

I really enjoyed Stronguy's review of the bronze age. He enjoyed that era and decided to pick up the entire bronze age. It matched his collecting interests.

With that in mind, I do have a suggestion for you. You are a "war" guy. You could start a thread about some comic-related war issues, or what-not. I don't know much about the subject as you might suspect but I do remember loving the haunted tank as a kid. You ever figure out which prototype Sgt Rock was the real first appearance?

Dan

Thanks for the advice, Dan. (thumbs u

The 1st Sgt. Rock is a subject that we don't talk about. :eek: I could get my head friggen blown off if I brought it up. :fear:

Povertyrow rocks.

I've pulled out all the stops. I am using the power of haiku to try and reach him.

Heartfelt pangs abound

reason expressing sorrow

I sense the sake

Road to the future

means embracing of the past.

Bring back pov today.

Treat newbies with patience and respect. Without new blood this place will wither and die.

What Dave said.

This place is mealy with bad attitudes, bullying of different stripes, ingroups and outright individual_without_enough_empathyry.

What can anyone do to make this place better? How bout some good old fashioned what Dave said.

Stuff it, Creamcheese!

Hi Andy,

I really enjoyed Stronguy's review of the bronze age. He enjoyed that era and decided to pick up the entire bronze age. It matched his collecting interests.

With that in mind, I do have a suggestion for you. You are a "war" guy. You could start a thread about some comic-related war issues, or what-not. I don't know much about the subject as you might suspect but I do remember loving the haunted tank as a kid. You ever figure out which prototype Sgt Rock was the real first appearance?

Dan

Thanks for the advice, Dan. (thumbs u

The 1st Sgt. Rock is a subject that we don't talk about. :eek: I could get my head friggen blown off if I brought it up. :fear:

The Stronguy's review of the bronze age was a good read and probably one of the best threads I saw in the last while.

Nostalgic Attic grading contest was fun too.

Treat newbies with patience and respect. Without new blood this place will wither and die.

What Dave said.

This place is mealy with bad attitudes, bullying of different stripes, ingroups and outright individual_without_enough_empathyry.

What can anyone do to make this place better? How bout some good old fashioned what Dave said.

Stuff it, Creamcheese!

i'm just some dude from mississippi or whatever.

bahhhhhh.

like totally.

:whee:

What Dave said.

Stuff it, Creamcheese!

bahhhhhh.

like totally.

like totally? isn't that a California thing? lol

What Dave said.

Stuff it, Creamcheese!

bahhhhhh.

like totally.

Ever since I discovered you were a year younger than me, I've been really happy.

Now I can push you around like I do my little brother.

:cloud9:

Just watch out for Sean, cause he's older than both of us.

:eek:

Povertyrow rocks.

Heartfelt pangs abound

reason expressing sorrow

I sense the sake

What is in a name?

That which Watson slings, still sucks

googamooga reigns

What Dave said.

Stuff it, Creamcheese!

bahhhhhh.

like totally.

Ever since I discovered you were a year younger than me, I've been really happy.

Plus, I hear he does WICKED Indian Burns...

What Dave said.

Stuff it, Creamcheese!

bahhhhhh.

like totally.

:preach:

Povertyrow rocks.

Heartfelt pangs abound

reason expressing sorrow

I sense the sake

What is in a name?

That which Watson slings, still sucks

googamooga reigns

Poverty is dead,

Crushed beneath the Great one's boot

All hail Mooga.

What Dave said.

Stuff it, Creamcheese!

bahhhhhh.

like totally.

shmeh.

I could take you and Sean with one arm tied behind my back.

What Dave said.

Stuff it, Creamcheese!

bahhhhhh.

like totally.

like totally? isn't that a California thing? lol

whatev.

i joined this forum cause well none of my friends are into comics so i didnt have anyone to talk books with.. which made the hobby not as fun as i knew it could be...i enjoying seeing you guys/gals collections, I LOVE showing mine off ( as most can tell)...i love being able to ask questions about grading,restro,and other defects and getting answer from people who have been doing this alot longer then me...i like all the good people i talk to daily on here who i would 100% call my friend...needless to say im here to stay

Name changes. So what.

These things matter to others

Much more than to me.

I changed my name with

No fanfare at all. No thread.

Yet, controversy.

First, was noljoner.

Now, my handle Ogami.

Still just Nate inside.

dude. name changed, uh wha?

that's totally ghey. uh...um...

uh. dude. whatever.

I have some thoughts about this, but first, by "better" what exactly do you mean? More informative? Entertaining? Friendly? Civil? All of the above?

More informative is probably #1 for me.

Entertaining, not so much, but I do enjoy the humour that some of you contribute. (thumbs u

Friendly and civil? That's a given, as that's how it should be.

Andy

OK, more informative...

Well, it seems like there are certain questions that are always being asked: what kind of scanner should I use for slabs, how do I use the search function, post pictures, ship to Canada, etc. etc.

Why not have a few stickies at the top of the forum addressing these common questions? Boozad started a good one about shipping comics, which others have added to, so it seems like the Mods would be open to the idea.

Now, about the treatment of newbies...I will risk saying something obvious and perhaps unwelcome.

This is a public forum. It is run by a company who hosts it in order to build up awareness about their services, in the hope of gaining more clients, so they can make money.

It is not a private clubhouse.

I respect the community that has been built up here. This is the place to go for knowledge and expertise about comics and comic collecting. I have asked many dumb and not-so-dumb questions here, and have always gotten great answers (and perhaps a lump or two).

However, some of the treatment newbies get around here totally baffles me because this message board is, for better or worse, one of the very public faces of our hobby. It would be in the best interests of the community to treat new people with respect because they really could be the future of our hobby.

(Or, if you prefer to look at it in a more mercenary way, every newbie is a potential new buyer for your comics.)

Every once it awhile a bunch of threads pop about about the Death of the Hobby, or What Can We Do To Nuture the Hobby, and they're always very informative and full of interesting ideas and suggestions. But I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone suggest that making the forum a friendlier place would be a good first step.

There are certainly days when Comics General seems more like Pottersville or the Mos Eisley Space Port.

I do agree that newbies should take the time to read the forum guidelines, BTW, and I also agree that it stinks when certain newbies sign up because they're only looking to open a new market for their books without any interest in contributing to the community.

Just like in real life there are great people here and there are jerks. And unfortunately, you can't control how mature or immature someone is. But maybe some of the old-timers could give their buddies a little tap on the shoulder every now and again...

I also know that I am guilty of saying nothing when I've seen newbs pushed around, which is not cool. I should do something about that.

P.S. Almost two years and a little over 300 posts, I still consider myself a newb here.