• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can I do to help improve the boards?

221 posts in this topic

Read more new comics! :)

There's a lot to talk about with what's going on today; it seems to be a common theme here that moderns are irrelevant, but how much more is there to find if we just keep looking backward and attempting to discuss the same old things?

It's great to get new blood in to discover [whatever it is that you liked from the past], which often has the effect of getting old collectors all excited again, but how long can that last?

and for new keys to come out of the woodwork, doesn't that pretty much require that publishers revisit characters/themes/storylines from the past instead of coming up with new stuff?

Much of what is discussed here is backward looking (as are, I suppose, most collector's markets), but it seems to me that we're lucky since our chosen area of expertise continues to churn out new stuff every single week

I do agree with JC about needing some good new stories and characters in order to create "keys" of the future. Revisiting characters/themes/storylines from the past isn't what needs to be done again.

I agree with the "read more new comics" suggestion. Or at least read new books that I haven't read before.

Thanks,

Andy

I would agree too about "keys of the future"...

I took "coming out of the woodwork" to mean more like, "Let's make Moon Knight the center of the MU," thus making MSL32 more of a "Key"

Treat newbies with patience and respect. Without new blood this place will wither and die.

What Dave said.

This place is mealy with bad attitudes, bullying of different stripes, ingroups and outright individual_without_enough_empathyry.

What can anyone do to make this place better? How bout some good old fashioned what Dave said.

FU southern pseudo-hippie.

Treat newbies with patience and respect. Without new blood this place will wither and die.

What Dave said.

This place is mealy with bad attitudes, bullying of different stripes, ingroups and outright individual_without_enough_empathyry.

What can anyone do to make this place better? How bout some good old fashioned what Dave said.

FU southern pseudo-hippie.

:acclaim:

It will never be the same without Nik. And I consider this the god honest truth. Nik was alot more then just a friend to many, he was a voice of reason at times. He also ran a great grading contest which alot of us loved to compete in. And also he had some of the coolest sales threads.

I miss Nik :(

It will never be the same without Nik. And I consider this the god honest truth. Nik was alot more then just a friend to many, he was a voice of reason at times. He also ran a great grading contest which alot of us loved to compete in. And also he had some of the coolest sales threads.

I joined these boards a long time ago but didn't start posting until last year. I used to lurk a lot. Wish I knew Nik..sounds like he was the best! I live in Mass too so I know I would of been friends with him.

I joined these boards a long time ago but didn't start posting until last year. I used to lurk a lot. Wish I knew Nik..sounds like he was the best! I live in Mass too so I know I would of been friends with him.

All too true. The boards have become less about comics and more about the people. Not that it is wrong, but a balance needs to be met.

All too true. The boards have become less about comics and more about the people. Not that it is wrong, but a balance needs to be met.

Over a year ago I wrote that the boards had evolved from a content driven community to personality driven.

This has its upsides and downsides. The upside is it can be a lot more personal, caring and fun.

The downside is that strong personalities also bring along constructs like cliques and partisan alliances. Not so fun if you are the newbie, the one getting bullied or on the outside looking in.

I think its hard Joe. Alot of us know eachother. I have met alot of boardies, as have you. And I think when you actually become friends and hang out it with some and not others it changes things. But in the end. Im here for the funny books.

Over a year ago I wrote that the boards had evolved from a content driven community to personality driven.

This has its upsides and downsides. The upside is it can be a lot more personal, caring and fun.

The downside is that strong personalities also bring along constructs like cliques and partisan alliances. Not so fun if you are the newbie, the one getting bullied or on the outside looking in.

It's ok, one day you can have a big-boy post count too. :baiting:

That goes both ways, though - it shouldn't be too much to expect that people read the forum guidelines before starting a for sales thread, or that they familiarize themselves with the boards in general before starting yet another pressing/scanner/i'm too lazy to look this up on google-thread.

(thumbs u

+5 to both

Even Nik talked about being burnt out on this place, and how it had changed for him. We all have probably had similar feelings one time or another.

I think it all comes down to those of us that have been around here for years have already talked about, and posted many of the same topics several times over. And while those same things still interest us, many of the current conversations are just not as lively because it isn't as new as it once was for most of us.

Many of us have drifted away from posting in threads for a variety of reasons, work, kids, house, home, burnout..etc.. and instead spend the time we used to spend posting, in PM conversations, on the phone, or even in person with the friends we have made over the years. But then some hot topic crops up and everyone comes out of the woodwork and this place can be abuzz for days.

I for one am not on nearly as much as I used to be so I am guilty of taking more then I add. More kids and more work tend to do that!

All things aside though, this place allows me a window to the collecting world I otherwise would never see. I still learn, still gawk, still laugh and still get mad. So it can't be THAT bad!

Great Great post!!!!

There are many lurkers probably terrified to jump in for fear of childish ridicule over every little infraction, or just because some people insist on the bully treatment with new members.

and for new keys to come out of the woodwork, doesn't that pretty much require that publishers revisit characters/themes/storylines from the past instead of coming up with new stuff?

Huh? It's the exact opposite and publishers need NEW and INTERESTING characters to appear in order to create said "key" issues of the future.

The reason why Marvel and DC haven't had a new "first appearance" key in almost 20 years is just because they continually "revisit characters/themes/storylines from the past instead of coming up with new stuff". doh!

This is a valid criticism. Marvel and DC have done very little to advance characters in the last two decades, or to try to develop new characters and properties. A majority of the great current titles are independents. This is reflected in interest in books like WD 1 and Goon 1 far outstripping any recent Marvel or DC properties.

Great Great post!!!!

There are many lurkers probably terrified to jump in for fear of childish ridicule over every little infraction, or just because some people insist on the bully treatment with new members.

Yep. We have discussed and dissected many subjects ad nauseum, but a newbie may bring brand new information and insight.