• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Human Torch #2(#1)

16 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Looking for any opinions before sending this book to CGC. I've examined it several times, black light, etc., and can find no hints of restoration. It does have a cover crease that does not break color, and the three "holes" at the top are old bug holes that penetrate appox. 1/2 through the book. Otherwise, what you see is what you get. I posted the links due to the size of the scans.

Thanks,

Sean

Front Scan

Back Scan

Nice book! cloud9.gif

That's tough to grade due to the worm holes. Otherwise, it looks like a nice solid book. I think CGC is likely to give it a VG/FN 5.0--it all depends on how much they downgrade for that defect.

This might be a case where they ask if they want a qualified grade or not.

I would think there are too many other 'defects' beyond the 'worm holes' for this to get a Q grade...?

I'd say VG+ 4.5 at best, factoring in the "GA forgiveness" that CGC seems to exhibit on vintage books like this. Let's face it, if this were ASM 83, it would get a VG 4.0 tops.

This might be a case where they ask if they want a qualified grade or not.

I would think there are too many other 'defects' beyond the 'worm holes' for this to get a Q grade...?

I'd say VG+ 4.5 at best, factoring in the "GA forgiveness" that CGC seems to exhibit on vintage books like this. Let's face it, if this were ASM 83, it would get a VG 4.0 tops.

this is a very tough one. i would have thought that the overall look of the book considering it's age, might have netted a 6.0 (considering the GA factor even with all the apparent foxing). the bug/worm holes (3) are the wild card and i'm guessing that this will get knocked down as far as a 4.0. hope it does better as it's a classic and very nice........... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Well, the verdict is in........

4.5 Cream to Off-White pages, Universal Grade, just received it today.

Anybody want it?

-Sean

if this book could be "non-restoratively" cleaned/pressed, it might be a good buy for a resubmit. unfortunately, you can't fix the worm holes without restoration.

this might be one that CGC would remember (due to the very distinct defects) what they gave it the first time around and change to a purple label after resub............. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

still, a VG+ 60 year old KEY marvel is one NICE book to own. i have the next issue which is quite lovely but restored and i haven't submitted it yet..........

I didn't ask for a "no qualified" label.

I personally graded this book at a VG level, so I am happy it came in just above. I don't think pressing would be cost effective with the worm holes and general wear. Even if I can get a VG/FN or even FN-, once I take on the submission cost for a book this expensive I don't know if I would be any further ahead - plus the risk of the dreaded purple label. I'm really just looking to turn this book over anyway, it's not for my personal collection.