• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turok Son of Stone Collecting Thread !!
2 2

374 posts in this topic

The Overstreet Price Guide listed for years (don't know if it still does or not as it's been years since I've had a guide) a paper and gloss cover version of the 1966 Turok Giant. The paper cover version does not exist - so completists can stop chasing it.

The guy that submitted the information told me that he assumed that a paper cover existed as he had seen other giants with paper covers. He said that as the years went by he realized that that assumption was wrong but never bothered to submit a correction.

Now...that being said, I would LOVE for someone to post a photo of a paper cover version lol

Interesting that there is only ONE 9.8 total for all the DELL Turoks. Issue 18. Census numbers are fairly low across the board actually. Is it because collectors don't bother subbing? Or is it because there just aren't that many high grade copies out there. hm

Interesting that there is only ONE 9.8 total for all the DELL Turoks. Issue 18. Census numbers are fairly low across the board actually. Is it because collectors don't bother subbing? Or is it because there just aren't that many high grade copies out there. hm

I was told that there was a boat load of high grade file copies that came out of the archives (not too sure if it was Racine or Pougkeepsie) once Dell/Gold Key wound down. Page quality was at times not the best. So as far as I know they are out there but apparently not many are slabbed...

I was told that there was a boat load of high grade file copies that came out of the archives (not too sure if it was Racine or Pougkeepsie) once Dell/Gold Key wound down. Page quality was at times not the best. So as far as I know they are out there but apparently not many are slabbed...

Interesting. You would think that if Profit was the motivater, those books would be at CGC or already slabbed. Top of the census Dell Turoks command decent money. Well worth slabbing.

Interesting. You would think that if Profit was the motivater, those books would be at CGC or already slabbed. Top of the census Dell Turoks command decent money. Well worth slabbing.

They may command some money but compared to say Marvels of the same vintage they don't. I don't think that there's a real big demand for Turok - oh there's some demand but it's not huge.

Maybe it was the sporadic publishing (what was it 4 or 5 times a year) that failed to make this series as popular as it should have been/would have been had it been published monthly. It was quite easy to miss a couple of issues in the 60s especially if your store only got 1 or no copies of a particular issue.

How much does it cost to have a book slabbed anyway?

PS - nice Turok page Mr. Meade. I have a couple of mine posted in CAF...

They may command some money but compared to say Marvels of the same vintage they don't. I don't think that there's a real big demand for Turok - oh there's some demand but it's not huge.

Maybe it was the sporadic publishing (what was it 4 or 5 times a year) that failed to make this series as popular as it should have been/would have been had it been published monthly. It was quite easy to miss a couple of issues in the 60s especially if your store only got 1 or no copies of a particular issue.

Slabbing cost depends on tier of course, but you're looking at about 50 bucks a book on average all in.

Demand is pretty significant when compared to other non-hero titles though. I never see them particularly cheap anywhere.

Dreamworks has the rights to Turok for movies,so now might be the time to get these slabbed for future considerations.

Dreamworks has the rights to Turok for movies,so now might be the time to get these slabbed for future considerations.

To be honest, I'm surprised that it hasn't been done yet. With CGI and 3D it would make a great movie with the right -script. Oh and Dreamworks...don't screw it up by using the recent incarnation of Turok...please....

To be honest, I'm surprised that it hasn't been done yet. With CGI and 3D it would make a great movie with the right -script. Oh and Dreamworks...don't screw it up by using the recent incarnation of Turok...please....

+1000000000000000

Some of these are reposts, but I see my links are all broken from earlier posts...

P1340655.jpg

P1340656.jpg

RAD967A3201098_15512.jpg

RAD94C4D201098_15635.jpg

Some one at CGC didn't do their home work on the 25...

Art is by Giolitti not Gioletti; and the painted cover is not by Giolitti...or Gioletti if you work at CGC...

The presence of Dell File copies likely wouldn't impact the number of 9.8 Turoks on the census at all, as most of the file copies for other titles grade out in 9.0-9.4 range.

Although those Dell files that grade only 9.0-9.4 would be plenty good for most normal collecting purposes. Typically you really have to squint to determine why a comic is "only" a 9.4 rather than a 9.8, and a disinterested observer thinks you're crazy to be taking out a magnifying glass to determine which of the two identical comics is the better one.

;)

I just checked on Comichron, and was wrong. Turok outsold every Marcel title in 1965, but it was the Gold Key Tarzan that outsold ASM until 1969. Superman family titles were the top sellers through the '60s.

The presence of Dell File copies likely wouldn't impact the number of 9.8 Turoks on the census at all, as most of the file copies for other titles grade out in 9.0-9.4 range.

By my count the original run has 34 9.8s in the CGC census. Are none of those from the Random House archive find?

Also, Turok was outselling most Marvel comics (including, I believe, ASM) until 1967.

If that's true, I'm not sure then why the demand for Turoks is not higher.

Strange, isn't it? Are most collectors like lemmings?

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

Also, Turok was outselling most Marvel comics (including, I believe, ASM) until 1967.

If that's true, I'm not sure then why the demand for Turoks is not higher.

Strange, isn't it? Are most collectors like lemmings?

(shrug)

:headbang: