• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, bc said:

Based on the serial#, its the same book on the CLink homepage that claims it was sold for $275,000 on 8/17/2016 (it is also featured in the CLink calendar in May with that same serial# and text)

$45K lower in less than a year is truly a bit softer. Agree its a beautiful copy.

-bc

Agreed much softer or the person who paid 275 000$ simply paid to much and just wanted to own one in high grade knowing he was over paying at that moment in time.

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, SC22 said:
5 hours ago, bc said:

Based on the serial#, its the same book on the CLink homepage that claims it was sold for $275,000 on 8/17/2016 (it is also featured in the CLink calendar in May with that same serial# and text)

$45K lower in less than a year is truly a bit softer. Agree its a beautiful copy.

-bc

Agreed much softer or the person who paid 275 000$ simply paid to much and just wanted to own one in high grade knowing he was over paying at that moment in time.

I had several people last night ask me what I thought the CGC 9.0 was worth.

Obviously, in this ridiculous market over the last few months it's become impossible to predict. $150K books go for $261K and $200K books go for $100K irrationally, but I told them $220-230K sounded like the right number for the Hulk #1.

The $275K sale was a strong number (and it was a real sale, I know the buyer) just as $261K for an AF #15 CGC 8.0 is a strong number.

Like the Hulk #1 @ $275K, I don't see the buyer of several of these AF #15's getting their money out quick either.

Selling too soon is always a liability, especially if you pay strong money.

For reference sake, the Hulk #1 9.0 sold at what I would have valued an AF #15 9.0 a year ago.

Edited by VintageComics

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Obviously, in this ridiculous market over the last few months it's become impossible to predict. $150K books go for $261K and $200K books go for $100K irrationally, but I told them $220-230K sounded like the right number for the Hulk #1.

The $275K sale was a strong number (and it was a real sale, I know the buyer) just as $261K for an AF #15 CGC 8.0 is a strong number.

Like the Hulk #1 @ $275K, I don't see the buyer of several of these AF #15's getting their money out quick either.

For reference sake, the Hulk #1 9.0 sold at what I would have valued an AF #15 9.0 a year ago.

Very good points

On 6/1/2017 at 7:41 PM, VintageComics said:

With more supply of H1 in 8.0's and 9.0's offered in the last six months, it didn't do this H1` 9.0 justice. Not to mention a H1 9.0 sat on CC for a bid for 230K which the listing when poof a month ago.

5 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Not to mention a H1 9.0 sat on CC for a bid for 230K which the listing when poof a month ago.

I don't check the usual sites very often so I didn't even see that one. I just went by my gut when I estimated the price.

Do you happen to have a scan of the book?

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I don't check the usual sites very often so I didn't even see that one. I just went by my gut when I estimated the price.

Do you happen to have a scan of the book?

Unfortunately, I do not have the scan. The book was there for at least three months at CC till around middle of last month. I felt when the H1 9.0 sold last year for 275K at CL, it was a bit strong. As you said, that selling too soon can hurt the price/cost, since there was another one up at CC during the same period.

2 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Unfortunately, I do not have the scan. The book was there for at least three months at CC till around middle of last month. I felt when the H1 9.0 sold last year for 275K at CL, it was a bit strong. As you said, that selling too soon can hurt the price/cost, since there was another one up at CC during the same period.

Sometimes it takes a special number for someone to part with a book and if someone meets that special number the deal happens.

I think that's how Barton described how he parted with his AF #15 9.2

$275K was a strong number. I feel like $230K is a conservative number, even though it was realized at auction I think some people were put off by bidding simply because the book came back to market so quickly. I think a similar thing happened to the AF #15 8.5 that was previously in a CBCS label. It SHOULD have gone for a stronger number IMO but it went weak because it had a bit of a history to it.

If a copy had not been on the market for the last year or two it may have gone stronger.

Metro may have also sold their copy. I don't know. Sometimes books move quietly without much fanfare.

A lot of the biggest books I sell go that way.  :wink:

Shameless plug.

http://vintagecomics.com/marquee-books.html

Edited by VintageComics

On 6/3/2017 at 8:29 PM, VintageComics said:

Sometimes it takes a special number for someone to part with a book and if someone meets that special number the deal happens.

I think that's how Barton described how he parted with his AF #15 9.2

$275K was a strong number. I feel like $230K is a conservative number, even though it was realized at auction I think some people were put off by bidding simply because the book came back to market so quickly. I think a similar thing happened to the AF #15 8.5 that was previously in a CBCS label. It SHOULD have gone for a stronger number IMO but it went weak because it had a bit of a history to it.

If a copy had not been on the market for the last year or two it may have gone stronger.

Metro may have also sold their copy. I don't know. Sometimes books move quietly without much fanfare.

A lot of the biggest books I sell go that way.  :wink:

Shameless plug.

http://vintagecomics.com/marquee-books.html

Prior to Barton AF15 9.2 sale, a strong offer pry loose the infamous AF15 9.2 date stamp copy which sold on Pedigree. I agree the H1 9.0 went back up so quickly for sale and the other 9.0 at offered on CC didn't help either. The AF15 8.5 (former CBCS) copy will fetch much more now, for the market has moved so quickly. As you mention before, no one likes to be the one to set records. I've set records on many books and was rewarded very handsomely for my collection at a lower cost average.  I've seen those marquee books of yours before and the stunning AF15 7.0, X-men 1 9.6, and others.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

4 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

I've set records on many books and was rewarded very handsomely for my collection at a lower cost average. 

Oh, when I was aggressively collecting I waaaay overspent on books I wanted.

:blush:

Sadly , the ff isn't mine , I just purchased the hulk 1 and af 15 from Harley Yee a few months back and those pics are the ones he sent me prior to my purchase , after that they went strait to my bank deposit box, here's the only pic I took af the af15 as my gf insisted 

15 hours ago, SC22 said:

Nice!! Now we want to see that FF1 in the back as well....lol!!

12 hours ago, SECollector said:

Really nice! Yeah, show the whole bunch you have back there and stop teasing :wink:

IMG_0061.JPG

3 hours ago, Bigsexy said:

Sadly , the ff isn't mine , I just purchased the hulk 1 and af 15 from Harley Yee a few months back and those pics are the ones he sent me prior to my purchase , after that they went strait to my bank deposit box, here's the only pic I took af the af15 as my gf insisted 

IMG_0061.JPG

:takeit: ( and the AF 15 too )

On 6/3/2017 at 8:29 PM, VintageComics said:

a similar thing happened to the AF #15 8.5 that was previously in a CBCS label. It SHOULD have gone for a stronger number IMO but it went weak because it had a bit of a history to it.

I don't understand you logic here, Roy. 

I know the history you're referring to but don't understand why it went for a " weak" price because of it. 

15 hours ago, NoMan said:
On 2017-06-03 at 11:29 PM, VintageComics said:

a similar thing happened to the AF #15 8.5 that was previously in a CBCS label. It SHOULD have gone for a stronger number IMO but it went weak because it had a bit of a history to it.

I don't understand you logic here, Roy. 

I know the history you're referring to but don't understand why it went for a " weak" price because of it. 

There was a lot of discussion regarding this book both pre CGC and post CGC certification.

In my experience, this sort of online discussion can tend to make the general public skittish for various reasons - some people don't like when a book keeps coming back to the market in a short period of time, the talk of whether it was accurately graded or not in the CBCS holder, etc.

It's just people reacting to market noise. Very people few can see through the noise when it comes to dropping big bucks on a book.

As I've said numerous times in the AF #15 thread, someone got a steal when it was in a CBCS holder and someone got a steal when it finally sold in the same grade in a CGC holder. I don't bid in auctions much but if I was paying attention I'd have tried to buy the book at the time.

And right now I'm betting everyone wishes they stepped up and bought it either time. I think it's a marvelous purchase.

Edited by VintageComics

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

There was a lot of discussion regarding this book both pre CGC and post CGC certification.

In my experience, this sort of online discussion can tend to make the general public skittish for various reasons - some people don't like when a book keeps coming back to the market in a short period of time, the talk of whether it was accurately graded or not in the CBCS holder, etc.

It's just people reacting to market noise. Very people few can see through the noise when it comes to dropping big bucks on a book.

As I've said numerous times in the AF #15 thread, someone got a steal when it was in a CBCS holder and someone got a steal when it finally sold in the same grade in a CGC holder. I don't bid in auctions much but if I was paying attention I'd have tried to buy the book at the time.

And right now I'm betting everyone wishes they stepped up and bought it either time. I think it's a marvelous purchase.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question, Roy. (Twice even!) 

for some reason my above post had to be ok'd by a moderator and didn't post hence my pm to you