• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

On ‎2017‎/‎02‎/‎23 at 2:34 PM, Spiderturtle said:

When GPA records the price, they should one for marvel chipping and one with no marvel chipping

would make more sense to include chipping in the grade as a defect since all comic buyers consider it that way.

On 2017-02-23 at 4:34 PM, Spiderturtle said:

When GPA records the price, they should one for marvel chipping and one with no marvel chipping

The problem with recording prices with defects listed is where do you stop drawing the line?

Some people don't care about chipping but they may care about something like miswraps, or date stamps, etc.

So that's why reading GPA is not the be all and end all and it takes a little deciphering to really establish values for some books if there is a variation in price.

And I think it's worth mentioning that it may not even be a defect that may cause a low price. Venue choice can also be a cause.

Most people don't realize this but sometimes GPA includes venues outside of the usual auction houses for information.

For example, a few years ago there was a professional auction house (but not one that specializes in comics) on the East coast that had a huge comic auction but even though it was well advertised it didn't fetch very strong prices. Most books went for about 2/3 of market value. Well, these prices were recorded on GPA.

I remember one book in particular, an ASM #1 CGC 8.5 went for a record low price. I think it went for $23K when in fact all previous sales were in the $30K range. Well, IMO that recorded price absolutely killed the ASM #1 market for a few years in the VF+ range and it took years for ASM #1 prices to recover.

Why? Because people see that 1 low price, assume the market is tanking and then don't want to bid higher.

So yeah, it's important to keep in mind that a single price point doesn't necessarily establish the FMV.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The problem with recording prices with defects listed is where do you stop drawing the line?

Some people don't care about chipping but they may care about something like miswraps, or date stamps, etc.

So that's why reading GPA is not the be all and end all and it takes a little deciphering to really establish values for some books if there is a variation in price.

And I think it's worth mentioning that it may not even be a defect that may cause a low price. Venue choice can also be a cause.

Most people don't realize this but sometimes GPA includes venues outside of the usual auction houses for information.

For example, a few years ago there was a professional auction house (but not one that specializes in comics) on the East coast that had a huge comic auction but even though it was well advertised it didn't fetch very strong prices. Most books went for about 2/3 of market value. Well, these prices were recorded on GPA.

I remember one book in particular, an ASM #1 CGC 8.5 went for a record low price. I think it went for $23K when in fact all previous sales were in the $30K range. Well, IMO that recorded price absolutely killed the ASM #1 market for a few years in the VF+ range and it took years for ASM #1 prices to recover.

Why? Because people see that 1 low price, assume the market is tanking and then don't want to bid higher.

So yeah, it's important to keep in mind that a single price point doesn't necessarily establish the FMV.

I totally agree with you here but, unfortunately, Last GPA seems to rule. Also, as a buyer, it hurts to buy a book at FMV that is over the last GPA, if the sale is not going to be recorded. I always consider this when buying on the Boards.  

34 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I totally agree with you here but, unfortunately, Last GPA seems to rule. Also, as a buyer, it hurts to buy a book at FMV that is over the last GPA, if the sale is not going to be recorded. I always consider this when buying on the Boards.  

I never consider this when buying on the boards.  If the price is right I buy it.  If a price is right I sell it.  I don't need GPA to tell me that.  

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Everybody needs an "out/excuse" for not stepping up to buy a book.  GPA is the new "out/excuse".  Nobody wants to be "that guy" who paid too much.  We all want to be that guy who gets the pat on the back and the attaboys.  "WOW,  YOU GOT A GREAT DEAL".  Everybody wants instant gratification.  If you aren't up 10% on your purchase you aren't happy.  If the sell the book and leave a sliver of profit on the table you aren't happy.  Let somebody else go first so that I don't look stupid buying or selling.  

Edited by blazingbob

14 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Everybody needs an "out/excuse" for not stepping up to buy a book.  GPA is the new "out/excuse".  Nobody wants to be "that guy" who paid too much.  We all want to be that guy who gets the pat on the back and the attaboys.  "WOW,  YOU GOT A GREAT DEAL".

That's a valid point.

I remember when I first offered my Hulk #1 9.0 at the new price point a few years ago nobody wanted to step up. I spoke to a few buyers who scoffed at the price.

After you bought it from me they all wanted a shot at the book again.

We all know how that turned out.  Looked like a bargain today.

16 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

That's a valid point.

I remember when I first offered my Hulk #1 9.0 at the new price point a few years ago nobody wanted to step up. I spoke to a few buyers who scoffed at the price.

After you bought it from me they all wanted a shot at the book again.

We all know how that turned out.  Looked like a bargain today.

The 8.0 on ha and the 9.0 on cl.  Be interested to see if af15 madness might have an effect on hulk 1

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dhulk%2B1%26ItemType%3DCB%26CGC%3DYES%23Item_1181820&id=1181820

Edited by Spiderturtle

Just now, Spiderturtle said:

The 8.0 on ha and the 9.0 on cl.  Be interested to see if af15 madness might have an effect on hulk 1

Well, it already has. Hulk #1 has started rising again because surrounding keys have made it look cheap.

I called it last August, remember? :wink:

GPA is a good measure for a baseline.  Unless all the auction houses report, I just use GPA for informational purposes as I manually track and save the action house sells to use with my GPA data.

Edited by Agent 007
typo

13 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

H1 8.0 approaching the 100K barrier...very tight race with SC4 in 8.0+.

Most Marvel keys in this auction seemed to under perform  except for AF #15.

An Avengers #1 in 9.4 went cheap when previous copies were $175K+

The Avengers #4 CGC 9.8 did go for a record number. That was a crazy result. My buddy owned that and big congrats to him.

5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Most Marvel keys in this auction seemed to under perform  except for AF #15.

An Avengers #1 in 9.4 went cheap when previous copies were $175K+

The Avengers #4 CGC 9.8 did go for a record number. That was a crazy result. My buddy owned that and big congrats to him.

Hulk 1 did decent in all grades, I know...so much hype on AF15. Yes, I was surprised with the A4 9.8 too.

7 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Hulk 1 did decent in all grades, I know...so much hype on AF15. Yes, I was surprised with the A4 9.8 too.

H1 will always be in high demand. Across the board rare in all grades. All has been always will be. :hi:

1 hour ago, Aman619 said:

Where and when has Avengers 1 in 9.4 sold for 175K?  Private sales? Thanx 

Good point. I remembered the price but forgot the venue. Pedigree Comics said they sold a copy for $185K but I don't know if it did or if it was part trade, etc.

Comiclink did sell a copy a few years ago for $125K as well.

26 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

H1 will always be in high demand. Across the board rare in all grades. All has been always will be. :hi:

Would love to see you join this club.  :wishluck:  Definitely one of the two big Marvels books for me as keepers. :hi:

Edited by showcase22gr1959

5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Good point. I remembered the price but forgot the venue. Pedigree Comics said they sold a copy for $185K but I don't know if it did or if it was part trade, etc.

Comiclink did sell a copy a few years ago for $125K as well.

I recall that was the miswrap copy.