• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*GASP* NUDITY? IN A COMIC? I'M SHOCKED! SHOCKED I SAY!

49 posts in this topic

Get a load of this CA-RAZY story! :roflmao:

Here is a snippet...

ABC4 reported that In Layton, Utah, a ten year old boy (Sheldyn Conley) received a couple of comic books from what seems to be his mother for Easter. One of which is the comic you see to your right, The Spectre #9. Inside the pages, the young boy found two panels of a woman on a bed naked, and he handed the comic off to a grown-up. Said grown-up handed the comic back to Sheldyn's mother, Linda Hurst, and took the comic to ABC4. ABC4 had a call-to-arms and had all the comics removed from the local Dollar Tree, where Linda Hurst originally purchased them. Linda bought more than one of these packages of two books, which boasted on the cover:

All comic books inserted in the "Superhero Comic Book Spectacular" are family friendly and will bring hours of enjoyable reading.

The other package she purchased had no questionable material on the inside. Dollar Tree was appalled, when it was brought to their attention, and they removed ALL of the comics for sale.

Here's the rest of the story if you dare continue! :insane:

http://www.comicvine.com/news/taking-it-too-far-nudity-in-a-comic/140948/

I just Pray that a kid NEVER gets their ''innocent'' little hands on anything by Ennis! *oh the horror!* :ohnoez:

And For the record I was Trying to get a view at the ''offending'' book on ''htmlcomics'' but for some strange reason all of a sudden there is now a ton of traffic to the site today. hm

i guess she won't ever be buying him any comics ever again.....

spectre, even without the nudity, is probably not a good title for an innocenet 9 year old

Some parents are just crazy.

I own a family entertainment center that has a redemption counter for kids to get prizes for their tickets that they win. Well one of my prize bins contains back issues of comics that I get from my local comic shop. I only get main titles like Spider-man, Batman and Superman form the kids. However they are mostly back issues from the 80's.

Her kid decided to call one of the phone numbers printed in the book, and guess what, it is now in 2010, a phone sex number.

So she actually calls me all upset says that I should pull the comics with that add in them.

I was not about to go through boxes of comics and look for that particular add.

This could happen at any time with any magazine.

I just don't understand how some people think. :screwy:

It's actually not just two panels. It's throughout the entire book. (It's Vol 2.)

That's not exactly a family friendly comic to begin with. It is not a Vertigo book, however.

It's a sweet cover too. From the pic in the article there is no warning about adult content on the cover. Truthfully, she purchased this expecting clean reading material for her son. That comic should not have been packed in a family packaged.

It's a sweet cover too. From the pic in the article there is no warning about adult content on the cover. Truthfully, she purchased this expecting clean reading material for her son. That comic should not have been packed in a family packaged.

Although you seem to be making a bad attempt at being facetious, I'm not sure why certain Modern "Adults Own All New Comics" Fanboys are calling the parent "stupid"., as this is obviously a Mature comic and should have been clearly noted as such.

But I guess all comics with a skeleton on them are "Only for Adults", right? :roflmao:

Her kid decided to call one of the phone numbers printed in the book, and guess what, it is now in 2010, a phone sex number.

doh! I saw them ALL the time in those old books (when I was young) But I never called them up! :roflmao:

Some parents are just crazy.

I own a family entertainment center that has a redemption counter for kids to get prizes for their tickets that they win. Well one of my prize bins contains back issues of comics that I get from my local comic shop. I only get main titles like Spider-man, Batman and Superman form the kids. However they are mostly back issues from the 80's.

So she actually calls me all upset says that I should pull the comics with that add in them.

I was not about to go through boxes of comics and look for that particular add.

This could happen at any time with any magazine.

I just don't understand how some people think. :screwy:

Not exactly related but there used to be a good link that I would recommend to people but the ownership of that website domain changed hands and now it is very racy. :o

Which made folks question why I was recommending it. :ohnoez:

I suppose I should double check many of my old unused bookmarks...

Well, I guess I'm a little confused here. A mom complains because her son was given a "family friendly" comic containing nudity and some posters are railing about stupid parents.

I will grant you she should have at least leafed through the books but I don't see her in the wrong.

I'm not judging, if you want your nine year olds exposed to this at a young age, go for it, but I have no issue with this woman having concerns and voicing them.

I tend to agree. If a book has content that is clearly inappropriate for a small child, it should be marked as such conspicuously on the cover. If an adult makes the choice to buy it, that is one thing.

The FCC should fine DC, and the controversy would be over. No one is saying they can't print it, but the exposure to children should be limited.

Well, I guess I'm a little confused here. A mom complains because her son was given a "family friendly" comic containing nudity and some posters are railing about stupid parents.

What's so confusing, "stupid parents" is the standard retort of the single dateless nerd.

I've just looked at my copy(Sweet Mignola cover BTW) and she is nekkid as a jaybird, but there is also a blue smoky haze that is in the panel to cover the naughty bits. I've seen worse on the covers at the checkout counter racks. :hi:

She has every right to be angry. Dollar Tree should return these "comic packs" to whoever they bought them from and insist on a certificate of conformance if they want these re-issued to their stores. Failute to be in conformance with basic decency when labeling something as "family friendly" should result in the end of whatever second hand shop is putting these together.