• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE STAN LEE TRIBUTE *Final Announcement*

639 posts in this topic

It's easy for me to say this since they're not my books, but I think you're being way too picky. Are the signatures great? No, but they could have been a lot worse. Before I saw the scans, I was envisioning signatures like from one of the days Stan was in a foul mood and purposely sought out dark areas of the cover to sign with a black Sharpie. In this case, the signatures are in mostly light areas, and don't obscure any of the art.

Then again, I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

One question--did you prep the books, or did DWC? The reason I ask is that both books are signed on the logo, and I haven't noticed McFarlane do that as a matter of practice. It made me wonder whether the books were prepped with a window cut out over the logo.

Actually i think my girlfriend prepped these for me as i was out of town at the time. (which is why i didnt sub more, she couldnt find them) . The entire fronts were probably cut out but i cant be sure.

Yes, they could be worse, i just see by comparison with others posted and many othe Mcfarlane ss books i have that they could be way cooler. I have another raw 9.8 342 that i will sub next opp so i guess thats not a big deal. Ill know next time to spring for the 5$ per book to get colors that will show up. Im not sure blue sharpie looks very good on any book other than a white cover.

In any event im still happy with them, especially the 330 which i thought was going to be 9.6. I also subbed an ASM 300 that came back 9.6 that i thought was 9.4 so all in all ^^

I got my hulks today!

Well let's see them, man! :popcorn:

Kinda disappointed in how they turned out. i got stuck with a junky blue pen that didnt show up well. The 342s case is scuffed top to bottom front and back not really sure whats up with that. And have you ever seen todd sign his name like on the 342? looks kinda junky :(

scan0014-2.jpg

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised that Todd signed up there. In regards to the scuffing, you can use Meguiar's car cleaner wax on CGC slabs to remove light scuffing and scratches

Please note that we received some books already prepped and we did not alter them. As for the ink color, we have discovered that the ink color is what TODD wants. After doing two signings with Todd in Las Vegas and in San Diego, Todd likes to choose what color pen he uses. In San Diego we had a couple of books with a RED Sharpie sitting on TOP on the books and Todd moved the Red Sharpie and signed it in a different color. SO please remember we can only ask for a specific color but ultimately the artist is the one who decides what color pen he wants to use. That is unless you don't want your book signed at all. As for any scuffing on the cases. We pulled the books straight out of the CGC box and matched them up with the invoices and then we packaged them into a shipping box you got. So if there was scuffing, it was there before the books were sent from CGC. We also had about 20-25 cracked cases and about 30 mislabels that have/had to be corrected or fixed. This whole project was a HUGE undertaking, one that I probably will not do again due to the time involved. But I am just glad everyone is getting their books and I hope most everyone is happy with them.

Please note that we received some books already prepped and we did not alter them. As for the ink color, we have discovered that the ink color is what TODD wants. After doing two signings with Todd in Las Vegas and in San Diego, Todd likes to choose what color pen he uses. In San Diego we had a couple of books with a RED Sharpie sitting on TOP on the books and Todd moved the Red Sharpie and signed it in a different color. SO please remember we can only ask for a specific color but ultimately the artist is the one who decides what color pen he wants to use. That is unless you don't want your book signed at all. As for any scuffing on the cases. We pulled the books straight out of the CGC box and matched them up with the invoices and then we packaged them into a shipping box you got. So if there was scuffing, it was there before the books were sent from CGC. We also had about 20-25 cracked cases and about 30 mislabels that have/had to be corrected or fixed. This whole project was a HUGE undertaking, one that I probably will not do again due to the time involved. But I am just glad everyone is getting their books and I hope most everyone is happy with them.
No Chandler, there is no way you could have scuffed this slab the way it is, definitely defective or some other explanation as it even looks like a lot of the scuffs are are the inside.

I dont blame you at all for my dislike of the books. You are certainly not responsible for my preferences. My books are back in my possesion and got 9.8s so you did a smash up job :) If you announced another Mcfarlane op today, i would send you books tomorrow, so please dont interpret my opinions as disdain for anything on your end. (thumbs u

No Chandler, there is no way you could have scuffed this slab the way it is, definitely defective or some other explanation as it even looks like a lot of the scuffs are are the inside.

I dont blame you at all for my dislike of the books. You are certainly not responsible for my preferences. My books are back in my possesion and got 9.8s so you did a smash up job :) If you announced another Mcfarlane op today, i would send you books tomorrow, so please dont interpret my opinions as disdain for anything on your end. (thumbs u

I'm sure Desert Wind did not take it like that, Green. They're just responding to the damage done to your case and informing all of us about the pen issues. I'm sure it's just an informative comment. :preach:

Next time DWC, just put a limit on the amount of submissions accepted. That way you can still keep your side income coming in without too much stress. Simple.:idea:

I got my hulks today!

Well let's see them, man! :popcorn:

Kinda disappointed in how they turned out. i got stuck with a junky blue pen that didnt show up well. The 342s case is scuffed top to bottom front and back not really sure whats up with that. And have you ever seen todd sign his name like on the 342? looks kinda junky :(

scan0014-2.jpg

I would have thought he would have signed on the left bottom

McFarlane.jpg

He put his sig on Hulks knee for mine :shrug:

All in all awesome event for Chandler to offer to us, Thanks again... cant wait to see the sterankos....

The great McFarlane signed my #345 on the knee as well, but that's 'cause i personally prepped all my hulk books and cut windows in specific areas. Always prep your books gentlemen, that way the sig goes exactly where you want it! :preach:

And i think DWC knows we love 'em cause without them, we'd all be :censored:ed.

By the way Green, send that #342 back to CGC for a new case. I would. :cool:

SAM_1627.jpg

SAM_1625.jpg

SAM_1620.jpg

SAM_1618.jpg

SAM_1616.jpg

SAM_1614.jpg

Here are my 3 books. The JIM 83 is now the highest SS!! The TOS 59 had a bump up from 6.0 to 6.5. :):) DWC stickers are on the bottom left for mine but my scanner isn't long enough for the books:

JIM83SShigh.jpg

Hashing open this old thread due to this tribute book I just saw coming up for Auction @ comic connect

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=415620

They list the book as being 1 of 2. I presume they mean to say there was only two JIM 83's signed @ the tribute event. Which brings up two questions for me:

1. How do they know there was only two of them? Is there a sub-census for this tribute signing or something? (if so where can i find that info?)

2. How could they get the qty wrong? Above is shown a 6.5. They have a 1.8 for sale and I own a 5.0 - that makes at least THREE of these JIM 83 tributes in existence.

(I also have an AF 15 1.0 tribute edition. Too bad I store most of my permanent collection at another site, or I would post up the pic of my 5.0) (can't keep all my eggs in one basket :preach: )

Dang I was hoping there was a census list for the tribute signing. Wishful thinking I guess. It seems to me CGC should have the Census break-out the SS column with a hyperlink that leads to a table that lists SS comics in grade by artist. Probably many years off from that though. Thanks.

It's not tracked for public display but since it is printed on the CGC label I have to figure soft copies of all those labels exist somewhere. I bet it's just not in a format presentable to the public - yet. It would be a huge error to record all the defects on the book permanently then neglect to record the writing the on the cover (signatures). So I have to figure this data exists in the CGC database somewhere they just need to write a proper query/-script for the public's access.