• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX

71 posts in this topic

I just bought my first one too. I am looking forward to getting it and making the comparison. Both sides say their holder is better and both sides say their grading is better.

I'm curious, what is everyones opinion about CGC's holder vs. PGX's holder?

I know we could go on and on about the other aspects but as far as the holders are concerned, what are the differences and which holder is better?

I would say PGX, But the plastic used for the most recent slabs from CGC seams to be sturdier now*.

This might seem a bit obvious, but why on earth wouldn't CGC's be better in every aspect?

I have no complaints at all about CGC's holder as having my AF #15 graded was one of the best decisions I've ever made; but how could CGC stand for coming in second place, in any regard when it comes to slabbing?

I just bought my first one too. I am looking forward to getting it and making the comparison. Both sides say their holder is better and both sides say their grading is better.

I'm curious, what is everyones opinion about CGC's holder vs. PGX's holder?

I know we could go on and on about the other aspects but as far as the holders are concerned, what are the differences and which holder is better?

when i cracked the PGX slab for grading by CGC, the PGX slab is too easy to bait and switch the books, it just locks or pops on all four corners. the PGX book BTW was graded 8.0, i'm sure iit has a shot for CGC 8.5-9.0. :wishluck:

I hope all the comic is there. I had a comic that was missing 3/4ths of it. I'll never buy a PGX slab again unless the owner will guarantee it when I crack it open immediately.

You bought a comic missing 3/4th of it; was it claimed to be complete?

Do tell...

It was a Giant Comics Edition that clearly says "128 pages" on the binding and it was in a blue holder with no disclosure otherwise. I bought it in an auction. I knew that I was immediately going to crack it open anyways and I took into account grading differences. When I got it, I thought maybe it was "smooshed" into the case. So, I opened the outer shell to inspect it more. Then, I knew for certain 3/4ths of it was missing. I eventually got my money back on the auction but it was a big hassle and took a few months to clear up.

It was a Giant Comics Edition that clearly says "128 pages" on the binding and it was in a blue holder with no disclosure otherwise. I bought it in an auction. I knew that I was immediately going to crack it open anyways and I took into account grading differences. When I got it, I thought maybe it was "smooshed" into the case. So, I opened the outer shell to inspect it more. Then, I knew for certain 3/4ths of it was missing. I eventually got my money back on the auction but it was a big hassle and took a few months to clear up.

That sucks! :P

Right, but if I am satisfied with their grading, and can get the same book cheaper, or slabbed cheaper through PGX . . . why wouldn't I?

Because PGX is a guy in his basement with a slab machine. You go for it.

I've only owned one PGX comic, a ASM #36 graded 6.5 it looked to be graded accurate. The holder definately felt more rugged to me......I lost on it when I decided to sell it though. To many bad things being spread about PGX, there lacking something. I prefer CGC myself and stay away from PGX. On another board there was talk about a few people buying a few modern PGX 9.8's and resubmitting them to CGC and getting 9.9's!?!? Don't know if there is any truth to this....but I heard they do not give 9.8's very easy. Never done any serious research though. I'm picky, I need my comics uniform....can't have 2 grading companys in the same box!! lol....off to the beer store!

And after 10 years, one side still has all the business even though they're more expensive and have a slower turn around.

Fool................................................................................................................................Said fool's money

On another board there was talk about a few people buying a few modern PGX 9.8's and resubmitting them to CGC and getting 9.9's!?!? Don't know if there is any truth to this....

There is not. PGX gives out 9.9s to moderns like they're going out of style - it's a complete joke.

I agree with everything said...

BUT, the guy who runs PGX, is joked about that he is just a guy in his basement making these. If that's the case, he's a pretty smart guy for creating and manufacturing his own slab huh? That's not too easy to accomplish for a normal person. His restoration checks and grading is poop...but I'm impressed someone so small scale can create their own slab...granted, he did make it using CGCs slabs as a model to copy from.

I'm interested in getting involved with some sort of plastics company or engineer or something, and having the "FORTRESS" comic holder recreated and produced to be sold again. Not sure if anyone still owns the copyright or not, and I'm sure I'd call it something else, but it's something I think could be really lucrative and good for the hobby. People still love those cases!

here's the book:

61.jpg

i think it's better than a 8.0. :wishluck:

9.0+

Definitely looks like it could come back higher than a 9.0. Let's hope it doesn't have color touch. :wishluck:

bah. meh i only paid $75 for the book a couple of years ago i think. :ohnoez:

If anyone is interested in getting involved, PM me...Maybe we can get a group of collectors together to re-produce these things. It can be done! Probably in better and clearer plastic as well!

That would be fun!

D

The case is patented, bro.

Just because they stop making it doesn't mean it's fair game for everyone else. :gossip:

Then we will make something BETTER! FASTER! STRONGER! CLEARER! people we have the Technology...

the problem with the fortresses is that they were really designed for the higher end books... these days, I dare say most folks store their higher end books in CGC cases...

back when chris pedrin made the fortress, he was able to wholesale at $30 each... today (almost 20 years later) given the cost of oil/plastics, etc, I doubt a fortress like holder could be produced for even $50 cost... I hate to dissuade you, but I don't see

1) demand to warrant all the molding and tooling cost (figure $20,000 easy)

2) demand to warrant production at current estimated costs (the MOQ is likely into the thousands, meaning you would need an upfront capitol of 6 figures ready to burn, long before you ever see a penny back)

3)did i mention demand... sure, in our microcosm there appears to be some demand, but if chris couldn't keep it going at a time where there was "real" demand, I suspect it is not finacially worth persuing today

just my 2c