• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you buy new issues of comics? Online or Store?

29 posts in this topic

????

If online or store - tell which

I have been buying all my new issues via mycomicshop.com and previews catalog with $5 shipping for the last few months. It has been great! :banana:

I really do not buy many new comics anymore but have stayed true to get every new issue of the Batman and Detective Comics series!

I generally get the few series I'm interested in on here, about six months after they are released for $1 or less. Last book I bought in a store was either New Avengers 1 or Green Lantern 1, whichever came out later

I have been buying all my new issues via mycomicshop.com and previews catalog with $5 shipping for the last few months. It has been great! :banana:

:eek:

If you're ordering online, you should really shop around - Lone Star's subscription service discount is much less than the one offered by places like DCBS or mailordercomics.

I used to use DCBS, but my LCS gave me an offer that was very close to the DCBS discounts, so now I'm once again happily picking up the books at a store every Wednesday.

:eek:

If you're ordering online, you should really shop around - Lone Star's subscription service discount is much less than the one offered by places like DCBS or mailordercomics.

I used to use DCBS, but my LCS gave me an offer that was very close to the DCBS discounts, so now I'm once again happily picking up the books at a store every Wednesday.

I really only buy about 2-3 issues or so a month and maybe a graphic novel or something. The discount I think is pretty good. If a comic is retail $3.99 I only pay $3.39 and so fourth. And I only get them shipped to me once a month is up and the shipping is only $5 so I thought it was really economical for me. :)

Try using mailordercomics.com (I don't have a LCS, either... :frustrated:). I've been using them for several years now without complaint. Monthly shipping runs slightly under $5.00.

It is sad that LCS are closing down, but some direct order online deals are too good.

Speaking of which I just checked out mailordercomics and the other one recommend

How can they sell comics that cheap? 50-75% off?!?!

Try using mailordercomics.com (I don't have a LCS, either... :frustrated:). I've been using them for several years now without complaint. Monthly shipping runs slightly under $5.00.

It is sad that LCS are closing down, but some direct order online deals are too good.

Speaking of which I just checked out mailordercomics and the other one recommend

How can they sell comics that cheap? 50-75% off?!?!

I have no idea. With their discounts, I spend an average of $40-$50 a month. I'd hate to see what that would amount to at a LCS. :o

I usually just order variant copies I'm interested in online. The LCS stores around me have a tenure list on who has a chance to buy the variant copies of most books.

Anyways I get the variants way cheaper then the LCS stores around me anyways either online or through Ebay

I use mailordercomics.com for most, and I have a subscription service for a few guys I work with (the profit of which usually covers whatever I buy for myself).

But I still end up picking up stuff at my LCS every Wednesday, and they give me 20% off on variant covers.

I've been using mailordercomics.com for a year or so now. No complaints.

>>How can they sell comics that cheap? 50-75% off?!?!<<

They probably feel those new series have promise and will give on the front end hoping you'll sign up over the long term at their regular discount on the later releases.

I have no local store where I live. The nearest store is 45 minutes away, hence I use mailordercomics.com. No complaints at all, great customer service all around. I couldn't see myself paying full price for all those books, I would have to drop 1/3 of my titles if I did.

They even sell recent back issues at the discounted price...even variants are discounted if they aren't all snatched up initially.

I still visit the nearest shop though...I try to support what they are doing as best I can...I think LCS are still very important to the industry.

Don't the publishers give bigger discounts the more copies you order? I think that is how mailordercomics.com can give such great discounts.

I stopped using my LCS and switched to DCBS. It came to the point that only getting 10% off was not good enough, and I didnt want to drop any titles. The owner was upset but agreed he could not compete with the discounts. I went from dropping $250.00 bucks a month to $150 bucks a month and that was adding more titles. 99 Cent copies are to good a deal pass up espicially big titles like Siege, Brightest Day 0, etc.

I still go into LCS's but I rarely spend ,much money, because they are way overpriced, not properly graded, etc. For instance one shop I go into the Owner pulls out Wizard, pulls out overstreet takes the highest price and thats the price of the book, regardless of condition, his argument is that all comic books are hard to find. But his employee thinks he is an who does not know what he is doing so I get good deals off him I.E. ASM 301 - 325 I picked up for a buck, MArvel Team up's a buck, Marvels G.I. Joe a Buck a pop and all were NM with a couple ASM's and Joes with Bone white pages.

But honestly I said this so many times, Comic Shops need a new game plan, online is going to Kill LCS's on new issues and if your back issue stock is poor, overpriced, overgraded, then that shop is already doomed.

Our local comic scene is vibrant and healthy. We have a great bunch of local shops and cool owners that have free local shows to go to. It's the type of thing where everyone in the area knows each other.

As far as buying new books, we don't buy many anyway. Just don't care to use my time to keep up with new titles. I'll buy a graphic novel to read, like recently we bought Fables..Or, we buy a lot of Marvel Essentials to read all the original titles.

But as far as new titles go, it's all beyond me. I get stuck in conversations with local collectors about variant deadpool covers and want to pull my hair out. Just doesn't interest me in the least. I'd rather use my money for vintage comics and have a strong focus, rather than fads and gimmick material.

Only newer titles I'm reading via TPB are; Walking Dead, Chew, Fables, Rasl, and a couple other random titles. Gone for me are the days of keeping up with dozens of titles a month.