• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interracial romance on the cover of latest Archie. Is it a first?

31 posts in this topic

In the first issue of Archie comics, the Andrews family has a black maid that is straight outta the "mammy" school of stereotype casting. On the cover of the latest issue, Archie is seen kissing a black girl.

I'm guessing it's the first time, but the publisher has not, to my knowledge, tried to generate publicity for it (which could be to their credit)

Kinda amazed that Archie didn't go the way of Richie Rich a long time ago. Their monthly numbers cannot be any better than DC or Marvel worst selling titles.

I'd guess that they don't have the creator payment overhead that Marvel/DC have. They also have some newsstand digest sales, where the digests are mostly reprint material.

wasn't there a recent Archie cover where he was crossdressing

and Betty was in S&M leather ready to provide services?

hm

Betty a dominatrix? Which issue?!

Wait a sec this was a slash fiction cover that popped up when there was video

interview of the artist of one of their comics where the interviewer was

talking about the new gay character in the Archie universe.

Here is the link...

hm

Am I missing out? Did Archie finally stop being "Happy Days" of comics and start getting risque when no one was looking?

How is kissing a white boy kissing an african american girl "risque"? Or were you reffering to the maid cover..?

I was referring to the dominatrix and cross-dressing scenarios.

Oh, I see. Yea, don't worry, those are fake. :)

That's a shame! I was about to go buy me some Archie and Riverdale Gang Bang issues.

You can. They're called Tijuana Bibles and there are a lot of Archie issues...

That's not just any girl, that's Valerie!

19798792_1.jpg

Is Valerie in some sort of "blackface" costume to try to fool Archie or something?

Valarie...not Veronica. :makepoint:

archie cranks out tons of titles every month. when comics are sold in a newstand or at borders or barnes & noble or the supermarket, archies are often there. you would be surprised how man mothers buy archie for their little girls. my old LCS claimed he did a pretty good business with them, including back issues, when priced right. if they're sold in enough venues it doesn't seem improbable that they have 50-100,000 print-runs. the diamond #s simply don't reflect many of these sales, i believe.