• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Changes to Probation List and Hall Of SHame List

170 posts in this topic

So Divad apparently made Dr.Frankenstein a member of the Hall Of Shame. He has the support of "Popular Vote". That is insulting to the HOS itself, especially when you compare the things the other members did.

What did Frank do to that compares to AlleyBat or to Conner or to ComicSupply or Herald2Galactus? Serious question deserving a serious answer.

(BTW, Divad is a personal friend - we don't see each other except the occasional get together with forumites but I do consider him a personal friend and am not laying this on him.)

I heard my posts were focusing too much on the idea of "disclosure" as regards to his taking a known pressed book and not revealing the pressing, and either digitally manipulating or dry cleaning the whiter back cover. I heard rather, that Frank was over the top in insults/threats and tried weaseling his way out. He paid his dues with a strike and a week suspension. I find it literally unbelievable that the intentional alteration or misrepresentation of a book's condition is less important than the poster's attitude.

If surliness is the reason for his being voted into the HOS we should scour the Strike Records and Name Changes thread and start adding any multiple offenders for antagonism, name calling, threats etc. to the HOS. Then start looking on the boards for people who backpedal and weaseled out of bets etc. Put them on too. If surly behavior gets one on the HOS the list will exceed the regular PL.

What about the alternate solutions being suggested? What about expansion and clarification of the Lists Rules (I think the PL rules are pretty well defined but could use some fine tuning to address the 30-day mandate, which is why Yannis is not on it at this point). Or the addition of a third Tier? Any of that discussed? It was suggested that Dr.Frankenstein be placed on the list (in a 3rd Tier) as not selling. No real addressing except by a few in favor of gving the existing rules a going over.

I am placing this here, in General, where Dr.Frankenstein's situation was extensively discussed.

Do we need to really get into the Probation List and Hall Of Shame rules and make changes? Absolutely. I, for one, would be happy to put time/effort into it.

Great post.

No offense to the original complainant, but the book was a very questionable 9.2 in the first place.

Do we need to really get into the Probation List and Hall Of Shame rules and make changes? Absolutely. I, for one, would be happy to put time/effort into it.

I realize you have concerns with what was voted on by over 60 board members.

But what are you suggesting was the logical alternative? That we wait for him to really burn someone, and then put him on the HOS list?

I'm just asking - not being confrontational about the topic.

I could only take you seriously if your name was "Great Googliemooglie". hm

GreatGoogaMooga - GOOGA MOOGA - dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!

:baiting:

So Divad apparently made Dr.Frankenstein a member of the Hall Of Shame. He has the support of "Popular Vote". That is insulting to the HOS itself, especially when you compare the things the other members did.

What did Frank do to that compares to AlleyBat or to Conner or to ComicSupply or Herald2Galactus? Serious question deserving a serious answer.

(BTW, Divad is a personal friend - we don't see each other except the occasional get together with forumites but I do consider him a personal friend and am not laying this on him.)

I heard my posts were focusing too much on the idea of "disclosure" as regards to his taking a known pressed book and not revealing the pressing, and either digitally manipulating or dry cleaning the whiter back cover. I heard rather, that Frank was over the top in insults/threats and tried weaseling his way out. I find it literally unbelievable that the intentional alteration or misrepresentation of a book's condition is less important than the poster's attitude.

If surliness is the reason for his being voted into the HOS we should scour the Strike Records and Name Changes thread and start adding any multiple offenders for antagonism, name calling, threats etc. to the HOS. Then start looking on the boards for people who backpedal and weaseled out of bets etc. Put them on too. If surly behavior gets one on the HOS the list will exceed the regular PL.

What about the alternate solutions being suggested? What about expansion and clarification of the Lists Rules (I think the PL rules are pretty well defined but could use some fine tuning to address the 30-day mandate, which is why Yannis is not on it at this point). Or the addition of a third Tier? Any of that discussed? It was suggested that Dr.Frankenstein be placed on the list (in a 3rd Tier) as not selling. No real addressing except by a few in favor of gving the existing rules a going over.

I am placing this here, in General, where Dr.Frankenstein's situation was extensively discussed.

I said in the Prob Disc thread that the non-disclosed pressing was not a factor so much as the digital manipulation of the scans. Pressing is a controversial issue and as such is not enough to get one in the HoS. But doctoring your scans to get a grade bump is as far as I'm concerned.

Also, there was his "attitude." (I think attitude is not quite the right word, but I'm drawing a blank.) This was not just a case of someone blowing their top. I can handle that no problem, and usually just get a kick out of it. But he blew his top when confronted about his shady dealings, and in my book that makes him a perfect example of someone I never want to do business with.

From what I've read here, CGC has stated that they will not be policing the sales threads. So it's up to us. In that sense, this is our site. And I see no reason why someone who is obviously trying to beat people out of their hard earned loot, and mocking/threatening all those who challenge him, should not be put in the Hall Of Shame.

Whether or not Dr.Frankenstein a member of the Hall Of Shame or not...

There is one thing that is certain people will have a hard time trusting him

until he works a solution out with the problem with kryptospidey.

I'm not getting into this, nor am I taking sides - I am just saying that until this has

some sort of conclusion he's basically in the HOS already.

:shy:

Every member in the HOS deserves to be there, except Frank. What he did was wrong and his action after getting caught was even worse. I feel that there should be a different areas on the Probation List. Heck make the probation list like this Seller, Buyers and HOS. why not have 3 sections.

He bought a CGC 8.5 cracked out of the case tried to sell it as a 9.2. That is pretty fraudulent in my book. But hey, anyone that wants to support him, well they can go and buy books off of Robo on Ebay as well.

Get rid of the Scammers.

Bruce

There should be a section were people cant sell, along with the normal list and HOS.

So we let them troll the boards, waiting for a fish that is not aware of the probation list and sell their trimmed/touched-up/overgraded books because they have a good reason to hang around - they are allowed to keep buying?

There should be a section were people cant sell, along with the normal list and HOS.

So we let them troll the boards, waiting for a fish that are not aware of the probation list and sell their trimmed/touched-up/overgraded books because they have a good reason to hang around - they are allowed to keep buying?

No put him on the Seller section of the Probation List

So we let them troll the boards, waiting for a fish that are not aware of the probation list and sell their trimmed/touched-up/overgraded books because they have a good reason to hang around - they are allowed to keep buying?

Why? The dude's a total spoon! Why go out of our way to make it easy for him to keep buying?

He bought a CGC 8.5 cracked out of the case tried to sell it as a 9.2. That is pretty fraudulent in my book. But hey, anyone that wants to support him, well they can go and buy books off of Robo on Ebay as well.

Get rid of the Scammers.

Bruce

CGC is not the be all and end all of grading. In and of itself, I don't think that's deceptive. And I'd suggest to you that many major dealers engage in this practice, doesn't make it "right" or a justification, but I hardly think that is on the same level as outright fraud.

The grade CGC gives is an opinion, so if a seller sells it at a higher grade cracked out, I wouldn't call it fraud.

Why? The dude's a total spoon! Why go out of our way to make it easy for him to keep buying?

Exactly!

So they stick around because they are allowed to buy, and every once in a while make a hidden sale by trolling the WTB forum. They make sure to go after newbies only with the hope they do not know about the probation list.

What a safe place we'll create for fellow collectors.