• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Changes to Probation List and Hall Of SHame List

170 posts in this topic

People are not getting it. They have not gotten it when I was posting in the Forum Marketplace. They are not getting it now.

Many have not even gotten the title of the thread.

I have been laying clues all over the place. But it seems knee-jerk is the most popular reaction (sorry about that, although I anticipate knee-jerk reactions to that statement.)

I would HOPE that after the time I have been here folks know I am an honest and fair person. Maybe goofy at times. Maybe too many haikus at times. Maybe too much sake. But certainly, I hope, not a threat. I don't sell often but when I do I have had no complaints. I even take time to digitally manipulate my scans so they more closely resemble the original, for better or for worse from the original scans.

What I have been talking about all along is the rules and criteria setup for the Probation and HOS (especially HOS) lists. And if we should have changes or additional lists. Yes, that is work. It certainly takes more effort than clicking on a poll option. I volunteered to help in it. I am a good candidate because I have been here for a long time and also do not sell or buy much. Since this is Divad's idea originally I would be happy to work with him on it.

I did a search on Muscleshark. Many of the posts I saw were about his issues with Conner and how he was the first to point him out. Danged if I can find what he did wrong. (I assume he did do something wrong so please point me to the posts?)

What I am really concerned about is that no one seems to want to discuss or consider changes and clarifications to the lists based on Frankenstein's actions. I think it is apparent that the rules as stated are lacking.

One of Steinbeck's (a favorite author of mine) major themes in his novel IN DUBIOUS BATTLE was "MOB". Mob mentality. I have to question mob mentality here.

People seem intent on repeating their grievances but how many seem to be willing to explore the current list rules and help change them?

HA HA. I feel like a dope that I cant find it and been here for years. I probally belong on the list just for admiting I didnt know where it is.

What forum is the Hall of Shame list and the Probation list.

Welcome to the Boards!

Your post highlights exactly my concern that I raised in the later discussion of the placement of certain individuals on the list--not as many people were involved in the process. And again, no knocks to Scmidty, Bosco, or Divad--it's good to keep the hotbed concerns from getting sweeped under the rug. I just think with this issue, we don't want to set a precedent w/o an even greater public contribution.

Many thanks to POV for bringing this topic up here. Providing it stays the course, I think this thread has the potential to produce some positive changes for how we as a community decide to police ourselves.

People are not getting it. They have not gotten it when I was posting in the Forum Marketplace. They are not getting it now.

I have been laying clues all over the place. But it seems knee-jerk is the most popular reaction (sorry about that, although I anticipate knee-jerk reactions to that statement.)

I would HOPE that after the time I have been here folks know I am an honest and fair person. Maybe goofy at times. Maybe too many haikus at times. Maybe too much sake. But certainly, I hope, not a threat. I don't sell often but when I do I have had no complaints. I even take time to digitally manipulate my scans so they more closely resemble the original, for better or for worse from the original scans.

What I have been talking about all along is the rules and criteria setup for the Probation and HOS (especially HOS) lists. And if we should have changes or additional lists. Yes, that is work. It certainly takes more effort than clicking on a poll option. I volunteered to help in it. I am a good candidate because I have been here for a long time and also do not sell or buy much. Since this is Divad's idea originally I would be happy to work with him on it.

I did a search on Muscleshark. Many of the posts I saw were about his issues with Conner and how he was the first to point him out. Danged if I can find what he did wrong. (I assume he did do something wrong so please point me to the posts?)

What I am really concerned about is that no one seems to want to discuss or consider changes and clarifications to the lists based on Frankenstein's actions. I think it is apparent that the rules as stated are lacking.

One of Steinbeck's (a favorite author of mine) major themes in his novel IN DUBIOUS BATTLE was "MOB". Mob mentality. I have to question mob mentality here.

People seem intent on repeating their grievances but how many seem to be willing to explore the current list rules and help change them?

I just applauded your posting of this thread and I again :applause: this post. Adding Steinbeck properly in context to the mix just made this English teach go :cloud9:

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly the posts were deleted by the mods.

mschmidt, Comicgrinder, Bosco (maybe), Dr Watson, a couple others, and Myself, posted in the thread, if it helps to find it, but like I said I believe its gone.

Putting him in the HOS for cracking a book and calling it a different grade, I disagree with.

Putting him in the HOS because of his conduct in the thread that resulted, I'm 100% in favor of.

Just because people are in agreement doesn't mean there's a mob mentality. No one's out to get the guy, just to get him out of the sales threads. If the stated rules of the Hall of Shame are too narrow to allow him to be added, then great, let's broaden them. Because everything about him is a shame, so let's do what needs to be done to keep him in the Hall.

Mac Man, I am heartened you know your Steinbeck. I have actually read every novel he wrote, as well as many essays, letters etc. An intriguing individual. A wonderful mix of machismo and sensitivity. Not irrelevant here. :)

I just applauded your posting of this thread and I again :applause: this post. Adding Steinbeck properly in context to the mix just made this English teach go :cloud9:

(worship) Steinbeck

The Muscleshark thread where he blew up the first time was locked & deleted after he received his strike. So, yes, you can safely "assume" that he did something (actually a lot of things) wrong.

The purpose of the Probation List & Hall of Shame is to out the people who engage in dishonest behaviour - to warn other board members about entering into transactions with scammers & crooks - and to protect this community as a whole. That's how it works right now - and that's how it's worked since it was introduced.

Dr. Frankenstein has engaged in fradulent behaviour on the boards, and has tried to silence his critics through threats of physical violence and litigation. He has shown no remorse, has offered no apologies or explanations, and has repeatedly shown that he considers himself above any sort of reproach.

With that in mind, how is adding him to the Hall of Shame not the correct course of action?

If the stated rules of the Hall of Shame are too narrow to allow him to be added, then great, let's broaden them. Because everything about him is a shame, so let's do what needs to be done to keep him in the Hall.

What I have been saying for a while now. While I tend to disagree about "grandfathering" someone into the lists, if that is the result then I will not protest. But not until the lists are expanded on and clarified.

Putting him in the HOS for cracking a book and calling it a different grade, I disagree with.

Putting him in the HOS because of his conduct in the thread that resulted, I'm 100% in favor of.

So you're fine with him either digitally manipulating or dry-cleaning books without disclosure? Because it wasn't just a matter of him "cracking a book and calling it a different grade" ...

And that's the crux of the biscuit . . . many Boardies over the years have been caught with their pants down - I won't bother to name names, but the ones who are still here stood up, acknowledged the issue raised, and made their apologies (without going freakin' ballistic).

So you're fine with him either digitally manipulating or dry-cleaning books without disclosure? Because it wasn't just a matter of him "cracking a book and calling it a different grade" ...

I don't think Bill is saying that, not everyone is going to address every point in a two line post . . . relax.

The Muscleshark thread where he blew up the first time was locked & deleted after he received his strike. So, yes, you can safely "assume" that he did something (actually a lot of things) wrong.

The purpose of the Probation List & Hall of Shame is to out the people who engage in dishonest behaviour - to warn other board members about entering into transactions with scammers & crooks - and to protect this community as a whole. That's how it works right now - and that's how it's worked since it was introduced.

Dr. Frankenstein has engaged in fradulent behaviour on the boards, and has tried to silence his critics through threats of physical violence and litigation. He has shown no remorse, has offered no apologies or explanations, and has repeatedly shown that he considers himself above any sort of reproach.

With that in mind, how is adding him to the Hall of Shame not the correct course of action?

I have to agree with Mike here - dude deserves it.

And that's the crux of the biscuit . . . many Boardies over the years have been caught with their pants down - I won't bother to name names, but the ones who are still here stood up, acknowledged the issue raised, and made their apologies (without going freakin' ballistic).

So you are saying that the dealings of AlleyBat and the like are equal to "going freakin' ballistic"? And to be honest I have seen a lot more ballistic than I did from Frankie's tirade. Still confuse-ed.

Hey Divad. Why does the HOS list not include any of the members know ebay seller ids . Would that not help out anyone on the boards who look for books on ebay. Or is it because they can change user ids faster than they can change clothes?

He bought a CGC 8.5 cracked out of the case tried to sell it as a 9.2. That is pretty fraudulent in my book. But hey, anyone that wants to support him, well they can go and buy books off of Robo on Ebay as well.

Get rid of the Scammers.

Bruce

CGC is not the be all and end all of grading. In and of itself, I don't think that's deceptive. And I'd suggest to you that many major dealers engage in this practice, doesn't make it "right" or a justification, but I hardly think that is on the same level as outright fraud.

The grade CGC gives is an opinion, so if a seller sells it at a higher grade cracked out, I wouldn't call it fraud.

I was about to say the same thing (thumbs u

grading is subjective and I can't count the number of times sellers have been more than 2 grades off of what cgc states...not saying the sellers are right or wrong, just that grading is what it is...judge the book, not the number

I think I've heard this somewhere before....

Maybe in someone's sig.... hm