• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saga of the Action 13 from Ebay...

113 posts in this topic

There really is no other excuse, as much as it hurts...and believe me I know how it can hurt. Everyone leaves money on the table at some point.

If it were $100, or even $500, sure. But $10k? I realize I am probably small fish around here, but I don't have that kind of money to just give away to the buyer. Who will probably just resell the book and make a 200% profit anyway.

I hate to say it, and you guys can tear me a new one, but I'll be honest here. If I'm the seller of that Action 13, I would no way go through with the $6250 sale and leave $10k or more on the table once I knew the real value.

I would have been honest to the guy who hit the BIN, though, and just told him that I made a mistake when I set the BIN that low, and offered it to him at whatever the new price was going to be.

I hear you Matt, but principles and binding agreements are bigger than any dollar amount. :preach:

I hate to say it, and you guys can tear me a new one, but I'll be honest here. If I'm the seller of that Action 13, I would no way go through with the $6250 sale and leave $10k or more on the table once I knew the real value.

I would have been honest to the guy who hit the BIN, though, and just told him that I made a mistake when I set the BIN that low, and offered it to him at whatever the new price was going to be.

You'd never end up in that position to begin with, as you're smart enough to take 5 minutes to email the right people and find out what the book is worth before posting the listing.

There really is no other excuse, as much as it hurts...and believe me I know how it can hurt. Everyone leaves money on the table at some point.

If it were $100, or even $500, sure. But $10k? I realize I am probably small fish around here, but I don't have that kind of money to just give away to the buyer.

That reminds me, Matt... I'm still waiting for that $300 Action #7 I BIN'd from you in 2005. A deal's a deal. :taptaptap:

Does anyone know this Stephen Passerilli fellow?

I met him years ago when I won a GA Superman from him on ebay. He used to own a store here in the city (I believe he just does internet sales these days).

The book I bought from him actually turned out to have a few panels missing :eek: but the book was already a beater, so not the end of the world, & we worked out a partial refund. That memory did give me pause when the Action 13 came up...looked great from the outside, but hard to be confident of no resto or interior flaws.

He seemed like kind of a character, but a decent enough guy from my initial impression. (shrug) A shame to read Rick's post... doesn't reflect well on him.

Well, as most folks know, many of us saw that wonderfully priced, stated unrestored Fn copy of action 13 on ebay earlier this week...

well, as it turns out, I just spoke to a friend that actually was the one that hit the BIN!

and here is where the saga begins (copying from an email he sent me):

I recently purchased a Action Comics #13 from "Actioncomicnyc" on Ebay .

In a conversation after the sale with the seller by telephone ( Stephen Passerilli ) he mentioned offers coming out of the wood work of near double what I was paying. Last night I paid him $6255.00 using instant payment

through Pay/Pal only to receive a call this morning stating "his place was robbed last night" ( "Tuesday night/Wednesday am " ) .

He initially stated that the police were there till 4:00 am , I then asked for a police report and he said he didn't have to give me one.

Things went down hill from there, I said to him "without a police report this simply not believable" . He then tried rationalize what if he just "changed his mind ect...." ? I asked him if he wanted to start over and pretend the initial conversation never took place, he declined with more "knock yourself out" type of statements.

so, from what I gather, the ebay seller got a lot of inquiries about the book, folks offering to pay much more, etc, and now the book that was won and paid for by a boardie, has conveniently gone "stolen" (believable? )

so, keep your eyes and ears peeled, as there appears to be some funny business going on

(next on judge wopner, the case of "funny business with the funny book" )

You know what I find somewhat ironic? The fact that it was Muscleshark/DR. FRANKENSTEIN that "won" the book hm

Well, as most folks know, many of us saw that wonderfully priced, stated unrestored Fn copy of action 13 on ebay earlier this week...

well, as it turns out, I just spoke to a friend that actually was the one that hit the BIN!

In a conversation after the sale with the seller by telephone ( Stephen Passerilli ) he mentioned offers coming out of the wood work of near double what I was paying. Last night I paid him $6255.00 using instant payment

through Pay/Pal only to receive a call this morning stating "his place was robbed last night" ( "Tuesday night/Wednesday am " ) .

He initially stated that the police were there till 4:00 am , I then asked for a police report and he said he didn't have to give me one.

Things went down hill from there, I said to him "without a police report this simply not believable" . He then tried rationalize what if he just "changed his mind ect...." ? I asked him if he wanted to start over and pretend the initial conversation never took place, he declined with more "knock yourself out" type of statements.

so, from what I gather, the ebay seller got a lot of inquiries about the book, folks offering to pay much more, etc, and now the book that was won and paid for by a boardie, has conveniently gone "stolen" (believable? )

so, keep your eyes and ears peeled, as there appears to be some funny business going on

You know what I find somewhat ironic? The fact that it was Muscleshark/DR. FRANKENSTEIN that "won" the book hm

Which leads me to wonder if Rick edited out 328 colorful metaphors from Frank's email.

Don't they call that FATE?

Don't they call that FATE?

Karma perhaps :whistle:

There's enough story here for one of those Lee/Ditko style four-pagers. "The Funny Story About The Funny Business With The Funny Book." Ditko can draw Frank with a wide-eyed shocked and sweaty face as he learns someone ripped him off.

Which leads me to wonder if Rick edited out 328 colorful metaphors from Frank's email.

Beat me too it. :grin: I wonder if he is trying to contact the sellers mother as we speak.

You know the eskimos have 164 ways to express the word "snow" in their language.

Frankenstein must have at least twice as many expressions to convey the word "hump."