• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saga of the Action 13 from Ebay...

113 posts in this topic

Well, as most folks know, many of us saw that wonderfully priced, stated unrestored Fn copy of action 13 on ebay earlier this week...

well, as it turns out, I just spoke to a friend that actually was the one that hit the BIN!

and here is where the saga begins (copying from an email he sent me):

I recently purchased a Action Comics #13 from "Actioncomicnyc" on Ebay .

In a conversation after the sale with the seller by telephone ( Stephen Passerilli ) he mentioned offers coming out of the wood work of near double what I was paying. Last night I paid him $6255.00 using instant payment

through Pay/Pal only to receive a call this morning stating "his place was robbed last night" ( "Tuesday night/Wednesday am " ) .

He initially stated that the police were there till 4:00 am , I then asked for a police report and he said he didn't have to give me one.

Things went down hill from there, I said to him "without a police report this simply not believable" . He then tried rationalize what if he just "changed his mind ect...." ? I asked him if he wanted to start over and pretend the initial conversation never took place, he declined with more "knock yourself out" type of statements.

so, from what I gather, the ebay seller got a lot of inquiries about the book, folks offering to pay much more, etc, and now the book that was won and paid for by a boardie, has conveniently gone "stolen" (believable? )

so, keep your eyes and ears peeled, as there appears to be some funny business going on

(next on judge wopner, the case of "funny business with the funny book" )

You know what I find somewhat ironic? The fact that it was Muscleshark/DR. FRANKENSTEIN that "won" the book hm

Don't they call that FATE?

Karma perhaps :whistle:

That just made my day :roflmao:

HAHAHA You suck Frank lol

You should threaten to have sex with the sellers wife or get your lawyer on him :screwy:

What bothers me in this whole mess, why didn't Frankie tell the seller that he was selling to cheap? Be up front with him. I guess Frankie likes ripping people off either way. I remember when the spidey 300 was hot and this guy had one listed at 20$ raw, I hit the BIN (but I did't pay) then informed him that the book was selling for 100+ and he listed it to cheap. He thanked me and sold me some bat books out of his own personal collection as a thanks. It made me feel good that i was that honest with that seller. Why wouldn't frankie do that? Instead he's threatening to get a lawyer. What a piece of work he is.

What bothers me in this whole mess, why didn't Frankie tell the seller that he was selling to cheap? Be up front with him. I guess Frankie likes ripping people off either way. I remember when the spidey 300 was hot and this guy had one listed at 20$ raw, I hit the BIN (but I did't pay) then informed him that the book was selling for 100+ and he listed it to cheap. He thanked me and sold me some bat books out of his own personal collection as a thanks. It made me feel good that i was that honest with that seller. Why wouldn't frankie do that? Instead he's threatening to get a lawyer. What a piece of work he is.
are you stating that if you had of hit the BIN (like 10 other boardies wanted to or would have), that you would not have followed through with the deal, and that you would have told the seller to charge 10K more?... keep in mind, a lot of your fellow boardies (well respected, as far as I know) were ready to jump on it at that price, and not a one of them said they wouldn't take it?

are you stating that if you had of hit the BIN (like 10 other boardies wanted to or would have), that you would not have followed through with the deal, and that you would have told the seller to charge 10K more?... keep in mind, a lot of your fellow boardies (well respected, as far as I know) were ready to jump on it at that price, and not a one of them said they wouldn't take it?

First I don't know about golden age that much, but I would hope after I found out the real price I would of said ok. I believe what comes around goes around. To take advantage of somebody that bad is really low class IMO, but then we are talking about Frankie. I would hope all of the other board members would of wrote him to inform him of the price error.

First I don't know about golden age that much, but I would hope after I found out the real price I would of said ok. I believe what comes around goes around. To take advantage of somebody that bad is really low class IMO, but then we are talking about Frankie. I would hope all of the other board members would of wrote him to inform him of the price error.
my guess is that not a single person would have informed the seller "if" they were the ones to hit the BIN at 6250...it is not an ethical or moral dilema in this case, as the seller "knows" comics, and therefore, should be held accountable for his pricing...

but, that is just my guess...

we can ask some of the more learned GA Action if they would alert: guys like

Nearmint

ComicDonna

TheDude

Showcase1959

PointFive

mr bedrock

ciorac

etc

this is not the same as taking advantage of some little old lady, this is a supposed comic professional...

Can't agree with you. I'm 100% honest and wouldn't take a dime that wasn't mine but if someone lists an item on ebay with a low BIN I wouldn't feel at all guilty about buying it. Especially someone who is in the business of selling comics and should know better. A seller can't complain about the price when he sets it.

Can't agree with you. I'm 100% honest and wouldn't take a dime that wasn't mine but if someone lists an item on ebay with a low BIN I wouldn't feel at all guilty about buying it. Especially someone who is in the business of selling comics and should know better. A seller can't complain about the price when he sets it.

I suspect in this situation, that is what virtually everyone would agree on (except, so far, 8milemax)

my guess is that not a single person would have informed the seller "if" they were the ones to hit the BIN at 6250...it is not an ethical or moral dilema in this case, as the seller "knows" comics, and therefore, should be held accountable for his pricing...

Nearmint

ComicDonna

TheDude

Showcase1959

PointFive

mr bedrock

ciorac

etc

this is not the same as taking advantage of some little old lady, this is a supposed comic professional...

You make some good points, I just don't know if I good do that. If I am to make 10000$ I would want to earn it the right way, not taking advantage of someone.

This is my feeling as well.

I suspect in this situation, that is what virtually everyone would agree on (except, so far, 8milemax)

To me its about ethics thats all. I am not sticking up for the seller.

lets see if i get this right. an overstreet adviser not knowing a market value. a seller who could not auction it off and see what it brought,instead a bin.so he was confident at some point to get the 6,000 plus.

Nearmint

ComicDonna

TheDude

Showcase1959

PointFive

mr bedrock

ciorac

etc

You make some good points, I just don't know if I good do that. If I am to make 10000$ I would want to earn it the right way, not taking advantage of someone.

just to clarify, the book, "might" be worth 15K, might only be worth 5K, one nevers knows until they inspect the book (interior might be missing a page, or cf, etc), maybe have graded, etc...

really a "carp" shoot with raw...

To me its about ethics thats all. I am not sticking up for the seller.
there is absolutely NOTHING unethical about paying a knowledgable seller his asking price (thumbs u

Nearmint

ComicDonna

TheDude

Showcase1959

PointFive

mr bedrock

ciorac

etc

just to clarify, the book, "might" be worth 15K, might only be worth 5K, one nevers knows until they inspect the book (interior might be missing a page, or cf, etc), maybe have graded, etc...

really a "carp" shoot with raw...

Gotcha :)

Nearmint

ComicDonna

TheDude

Showcase1959

PointFive

mr bedrock

ciorac

etc

I'm deservedly not on G.A.tor's list of the "learned" but I agree with him 100%. The guy new it was valuable, just not how much so. He was lazy and got what he deserved. Completely different situation with the little old lady type.

Also the BIN is Buy It Now not "commit yourself to a price so I can shop it around a while for a better offer and too bad for you if I get one". Otherwise known as the "CYTAPSICSIAAWFABOATBFYIIGO" button.

Nearmint

ComicDonna

TheDude

Showcase1959

PointFive

mr bedrock

ciorac

etc

I made the list!! I made the list!!! I'm somebody now! :banana:

You are taking a risk every time you fork your money over. It could have hidden damage, it could be restored, missing pages etc.

You have every right not to inform the seller if things happen to turn out in your favor.

If it comes back and passes a resto test with a blue label, I would relax and pour myself a glass of liquid "holy spoon" happyness.

Nearmint

ComicDonna

TheDude

Showcase1959

PointFive

mr bedrock

ciorac

etc

Yeah me too, Im there atthe bottom of the list. My friends call me "etc" :P

Nearmint

ComicDonna

TheDude

Showcase1959

PointFive

mr bedrock

ciorac

etc

"dude" you know you are a golden age Action stud lol