• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

What do you do?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

84 posts in this topic

I'll stick my neck out here, and be the first to say I would not go through with the initial sale. $10k is too much to throw away on an honest mistake. I'd rather put that money toward my kid's college fund, and I'd sleep well at night.

(In actuality, the real seller gave some BS excuse as to why he could not go through with the sale. I would have just been honest about it, if it were me.)

Maybe offer the 1st buyer $500 for walking away from the deal?

It's just money.

Say that with me again, 100 times.

It's just money.

Though there are lots who think money is what it's all about, there are things that make money look like dog vomit.

(thumbs u

I'll stick my neck out here, and be the first to say I would not go through with the initial sale. $10k is too much to throw away on an honest mistake. I'd rather put that money toward my kid's college fund, and I'd sleep well at night.

(In actuality, the real seller gave some BS excuse as to why he could not go through with the sale. I would have just been honest about it, if it were me.)

something like that. probably more, but that's me.

and conversely, if I were the buyer and the seller took back the deal, I would completely understand and not make a fuss about it.

I think the ethics of the situation work both ways.

something like that. probably more, but that's me.

and conversely, if I were the buyer and the seller took back the deal, I would completely understand and not make a fuss about it.

I think the ethics of the situation work both ways.

Yeah I guess if you ask the guy and he accepts then no harm no foul, win-win for everyone.

If I had a book to sell that was worth anywhere close to that amount, I'd have to be pretty damned stupid to not do a modicum of research on value.

And if I was that stupid, and did undervalue it and it was bought, I'd have to honour the price I sold it for. Golden Rule scenario, as far as I'm concerned

What he said.

Anybody who values money over ethics is leading a shallow life.

What they said, without the u ;) , then commence with the head-to-wall slamming. :makepoint:

I want to see a link to the sale that inspired this thread.

But if you were comfortable selling something at 5k two seconds ago, then you should be comfortable selling it for 5k two minutes from now.

In other words, it doesn't sound like a real loss, it's more of a theoretical loss since you technically no longer have it available for sale.

It would be like me selling an ice cream for $1 and on my way to hand it over to the buyer someone stops me and says "I'll give you $3 for that ice cream", well if he'd offered the $3 a few minutes ago I could do it, but since the ice cream is not technically mine anymore...

I want to see a link to the sale that inspired this thread.

But if you were comfortable selling something at 5k two seconds ago, then you should be comfortable selling it for 5k two minutes from now.

In other words, it doesn't sound like a real loss, it's more of a theoretical loss since you technically no longer have it available for sale.

Exactly, entering $5000 into the BIN field on the ebay form is not an accident. Someone took the time to create that item in ebay and had decided, I can accept $5000.

where do you ethically draw the line as a buyer?

If it's an Action #1 for sale for $10, do you buy it for $10, or do you tell the seller that it's worth vastly more?

This was a self proclaimed contributor to the Overstreet price guide with the name Action Comics in his eBay name selling an Action comic.

Not really "the little old lady".

where do you ethically draw the line as a buyer?

If it's an Action #1 for sale for $10, do you buy it for $10, or do you tell the seller that it's worth vastly more?

I voted A and if I am that stupid to list an Action #1 for $10, then I deserve to get $10.

Stupidity should not be rewarded...never, not in my book.

I haven't read the thread all the way and may just be repeating, but the ebay deal really is supposed to be a contract and, in theory, you could be forced by a court to go through with the deal and/or pay damages for breach of contract. of course, few will bother taking someone to court over something like this (particularly across state lines and my guess is that you'd probably need to sue in the seller's home state), but, in theory, it's possible.

I haven't read the thread all the way and may just be repeating, but the ebay deal really is supposed to be a contract and, in theory, you could be forced by a court to go through with the deal and/or pay damages for breach of contract. of course, few will bother taking someone to court over something like this (particularly across state lines and my guess is that you'd probably need to sue in the seller's home state), but, in theory, it's possible.

According to the thread in the GA forum, a lawyer has been contacted.

I think it's really easy for people to chime in with "honor the deal" when they are not in the situation of giving up $10K as we speak (shrug) Ideally, yes honor the deal. But $10K could be a life changing sum for some, we're not talking about a few hundred dollars here.

I'm honestly not sure what I would do in that situation for that amount of money. I really believe that unless you've been in the situation and made that decision, or you are in a position that $10K really isn't much money to you, it is difficult if not impossible to say what you would do if faced with that situation tomorrow.

I'd be surprised too that an Action 13 would be so off in the OPG. Did the print-run get lost or something? Hardly an odd ball book and not high enough a grade for you to think "this might be a triple guide scenario"), you would think a seller who specializes in Action comics would have a decent sense of what the book was sort of worth and that the value would be kindah established at least +/- 50%.

The seller is in NYC. It would be really easy to sue him there. And a NY court would enforce it.

I believe the seller was educated on what they had and was fine with the price when it was listed, probably even excited when it sold, but then the other offers came in.