• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cursed Pirate Girl

1,870 posts in this topic

Like stock, you wait too long on a good thing...you'll kick yourself in the arse later, Doug. lol

Think there's a couple out there circulating right now....I may be wrong. =)

From what I heard and seen this is kind of a classic children's-style fairy tale that no children are currently reading? I'm only guessing, since the eBay prices are a bit high for your average 'tween. If there is ever gonna be somekind of market for this title's back issue's worth, like Bone, the kids are going to have to read them sometime. I always believed this is what killed Mouse Guard #1's value. Too much speculation. Causing multiple printings to meet a false demand, for something that wasn't in that high of demand in the first place. Could the Modern multiple printing's hemorrage the worth of CPG #1 in the end too, I believe it will. I believe this was just another title we decided was a hit before it was discovered by it's intended audience and now they don't know it even exists. They cannot collect what isn't there.

This is just a theory though.

I think you're vastly underestimating how popular Mouse Guard actually is ... and overestimating the impact reprints have on the value of 1st prints :thumbsup:

It's precisely because David Petersen did a bunch of printings of the various Mouse Guard issues that his series took off and didn't end up as just another quirky indie casualty. By making sure that early issues of Mouse Guard were readily available till the first TPB/HC came out, just like Jeff Smith did with Bone (and Bastian is doing with CPG), Petersen was able to both meet the demand that was there, but also slowly grow his readership as more & more people told their friends to go pick up his book (and were able to do so without paying nosebleeed prices).

Did this hurt the value of Mouse Guard #1? No, not really - the Comixpress #1 has always been the one the collectors are willing to shell out the big bucks for, and prices for that has remained strong.

Just because this board didn't know of this series till about a month ago, doesn't mean that other people didn't - which should be self-evident based on the fact that Olympian is doing a 4th printing of #1.

Also ... CPG was originally solicited as a 6-issue continuous mini-series, but ended up being split into two 3-issue story arcs. The first TPB will come out later this year, and will be followed by the three issues of volume 2 of CPG. After that there'll be another TPB, and then, Jeremy was keeping his fingers crossed about this, a deluxe hardcover that includes all 6 issues.

Prior to the release of CPG #1 from Olympian, Bastian self-published a different CPG #1 through ComiXpress (just like Petersen did with Mouse Guard). It had a print run numbering in the hundreds, and has a cover that looks pretty similar to the as-yet-unreleased 4th printing of CPG #1.

That book is friggin' impossible to find - I've been looking for it for years.

Like stock, you wait too long on a good thing...you'll kick yourself in the arse later, Doug. lol

From what I heard and seen this is kind of a classic children's-style fairy tale that no children are currently reading? I'm only guessing, since the eBay prices are a bit high for your average 'tween. If there is ever gonna be somekind of market for this title's back issue's worth, like Bone, the kids are going to have to read them sometime. I always believed this is what killed Mouse Guard #1's value. Too much speculation. Causing multiple printings to meet a false demand, for something that wasn't in that high of demand in the first place. Could the Modern multiple printing's hemorrage the worth of CPG #1 in the end too, I believe it will. I believe this was just another title we decided was a hit before it was discovered by it's intended audience and now they don't know it even exists. They cannot collect what isn't there.

I think you're vastly underestimating how popular Mouse Guard actually is ... and overestimating the impact reprints have on the value of 1st prints :thumbsup:

It's precisely because David Petersen did a bunch of printings of the various Mouse Guard issues that his series took off and didn't end up as just another quirky indie casualty. By making sure that early issues of Mouse Guard were readily available till the first TPB/HC came out, just like Jeff Smith did with Bone (and Bastian is doing with CPG), Petersen was able to both meet the demand that was there, but also slowly grow his readership as more & more people told their friends to go pick up his book (and were able to do so without paying nosebleeed prices).

Did this hurt the value of Mouse Guard #1? No, not really - the Comixpress #1 has always been the one the collectors are willing to shell out the big bucks for, and prices for that has remained strong.

Just because this board didn't know of this series till about a month ago, doesn't mean that other people didn't - which should be self-evident based on the fact that Olympian is doing a 4th printing of #1.

(thumbs u

Also ... CPG was originally solicited as a 6-issue continuous mini-series, but ended up being split into two 3-issue story arcs. The first TPB will come out later this year, and will be followed by the three issues of volume 2 of CPG. After that there'll be another TPB, and then, Jeremy was keeping his fingers crossed about this, a deluxe hardcover that includes all 6 issues.

Prior to the release of CPG #1 from Olympian, Bastian self-published a different CPG #1 through ComiXpress (just like Petersen did with Mouse Guard). It had a print run numbering in the hundreds, and has a cover that looks pretty similar to the as-yet-unreleased 4th printing of CPG #1.

Then is this the copy that should command the big $$

I guess we will see since one was just posted on eBay. :ohnoez:

Actually, yes. But practically impossible to find. The #1 1st print by Olympian Publishing is the closest thing to it. (shrug)

Now that's a Holy Grail in the CPG world. :o

***lol right after I posted the previous post. lol

Edited by FIREFLY

Coincidently posted by a board member. hm

Not me. I'm sonofjerel on eBay :grin: .

Care to explain who that is? (shrug)

You guys got me thinking too. I might get a bunch of Ye Old Lores of Yores for my trick 'r treaters this year. Looks like a great little "preview" book to probably the hottest Modern this year that they might like. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

You guys got me thinking too. I might get a bunch of Ye Old Lores of Yores for my trick 'r treaters this year. Looks like a great little "preview" book to probably the hottest Modern this year that they might like. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Just trying to top the Family Dollar Marvel 3-Packs I passed out, lol .

DSC006381.jpg

I might be underestimating the popularity, too. With the initial feeding frenzy over, printings are now meeting demand. You are right that the Comicxpress version is still holding its value, but I was thinkingt the first print of #1 had dropped considerably. I don't track prices of books I've already picked up, so I could be wrong.

As long as later printings have been brought up, is there any place to get them? I only see #2's second print on eBay, no others seem to be out there.