• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to buy a big book like Batman 1?

137 posts in this topic

Coke Zero is bad. :baiting:

I agree with everyone :)

Add a little cherry and it's a miracle elixer.

oh my; drink enough of gator's beverage, you begin to spell like him.

:acclaim:

I'd like to throw in a little currency argument as well. Many folks are looking for hard assets to buy such as gold, art, and collectibles. I think Million dollar Action 1 and Tec 27 do fit in that realm and a 20k restored Batman 1 does not. So the 20k book looks "downward" to how the entire Batman run is doing in sales moreso than "upward" at the record setting prices. Though something has to lead the charge of, in this case, Batman sales either up or down and usually its the 20k books that do that.

As an example. We saw the craziness in Spiderman 14 well before the significant rises in AF 15 and ASM 1. One example is not the trend but in the last 5 years we saw very nice sales and huge demand for Adams Batmans, Pre Robin Tecs as well as early Superman WWII covers and early Action Superman covers. Perfect time for record sales in the top two books.

I agree that that has not lead the Superman 1 or Batman 1 restored prices higher currently. While pre Robin Tecs and the early Action Superman covers are still hot as can be, I think later Superman common issues and even Adams Batmans have cooled off a bit. So IMO the jury's out on the two restored #1s.

That`s the key word folks, they are restored while the million dollar books were not. That`s how I look at it as someone new to the hobby. I see restored and my interest drops,I don`t know why my interest drops but it does. A lot of restored books are beautiful.Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. :)

I thought for a long time about whether to go Blue or Purple on this purchase. Eventually, I decided that I'd rather get a nicer-looking book in my price range instead of a beater Blue. For a key like this, I think it's a reasonable decision. I wouldn't do the same for a generic GA book or anything published after 1960. I also don't expect to make big bucks on this purchase. If I wanted a decent return on my money over the long-term, I'd look to the financial markets. Here, I think I'm getting a book that will hold its value, will look nice, and will make people go "wow." I can live with that.

Did you ever think about buying a beater then with the savings having the book restored yourself? seems like a good way to save tons of cash hm

I'd like to throw in a little currency argument as well. Many folks are looking for hard assets to buy such as gold, art, and collectibles. I think Million dollar Action 1 and Tec 27 do fit in that realm and a 20k restored Batman 1 does not. So the 20k book looks "downward" to how the entire Batman run is doing in sales moreso than "upward" at the record setting prices. Though something has to lead the charge of, in this case, Batman sales either up or down and usually its the 20k books that do that.

As an example. We saw the craziness in Spiderman 14 well before the significant rises in AF 15 and ASM 1. One example is not the trend but in the last 5 years we saw very nice sales and huge demand for Adams Batmans, Pre Robin Tecs as well as early Superman WWII covers and early Action Superman covers. Perfect time for record sales in the top two books.

I agree that that has not lead the Superman 1 or Batman 1 restored prices higher currently. While pre Robin Tecs and the early Action Superman covers are still hot as can be, I think later Superman common issues and even Adams Batmans have cooled off a bit. So IMO the jury's out on the two restored #1s.

That`s the key word folks, they are restored while the million dollar books were not. That`s how I look at it as someone new to the hobby. I see restored and my interest drops,I don`t know why my interest drops but it does. A lot of restored books are beautiful.Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. :)

I thought for a long time about whether to go Blue or Purple on this purchase. Eventually, I decided that I'd rather get a nicer-looking book in my price range instead of a beater Blue. For a key like this, I think it's a reasonable decision. I wouldn't do the same for a generic GA book or anything published after 1960. I also don't expect to make big bucks on this purchase. If I wanted a decent return on my money over the long-term, I'd look to the financial markets. Here, I think I'm getting a book that will hold its value, will look nice, and will make people go "wow." I can live with that.

Thing is there's purple label restored where the book was actually a beater or worse and got a massive makeover, and then there's purple label technical restored where the book looked pretty damn good in the first place and would likely grade the same with or without the "work." If you can get one in the latter category I'd consider it a safer bet.

Agreed, good point! (thumbs u

Cf. r1970d and Gators interesting discussion:

Whether the purple midgrade megakeys (like Batman 1) will be pulled upwards by the recent record breaking blue label twin-sales. Or they are going to get hammered by the bad economy? Thats a tough question to answer. I guess we will get an answer-indication (can one say that?) with the next Heritage auction comming up featuring both the purple Court copy of Action 1 cgc 6.5 as well as a Tec27 Mod. 7.0 (A).

The question is: are these books comming down hard together with the Procter & Gamble stocks - or is this the final call for collectors to jump on the elevator while the cheapest entry level is still for 'ordinary people' (Joe six pack taking out a second mortgadge to acquire a beater with make up or simply a franken extensive). The question here is whether outside investors will move any liquid dough into investement-alternatives like for instance funny books. And IF they decide to do so: will they have enough knowledge of the comic-field to have any interest in the tainted purples? For some purples I think there are bargains to be had these days. I hope not they move in here. Because just like other boardies I like picking up books I probably never would be able to acquire in blue (as long as it is still possible).

The Court copy is at 179K with 4-5 days to go :o Somebody wants this ...

There is however no love for the Tec27 copy in the same auction : only 37K.

It probably gets hammered for being an (A) copy.

I am actually surprised that the price difference between these two is *that* large. But off course this is the COURT-copy ...

what do I know :slapfight:

There is one tried and true method for buying keys. Buy them ten + years ago and you should be fine

Got a time machine I can borrow?

Recent discussion:

Me to girlfriend: So if I get this Batman 1, are you going to read it with me.

Girlfriend: Sure, but you turn the pages.

She's a keeper.

So if you had to guess, our of the four absolutely classic stories in there, which one will she enjoy the most?

Let's see:

She loves black and white movies, including silent films.

She appreciates GGA over superheros.

Her favorite T-shirt has a bronze age Batgirl riding a motorcycle.

I'd go with the Catwoman story.

There is one tried and true method for buying keys. Buy them ten + years ago and you should be fine

So in 2020 we should buy them in 2010. (shrug) I normally buy and hold and it would be interesting to see the value of these keys in 2020.

To keep the anticipation going, I'll be viewing and possibly buying the book on Friday, June 4.

Now back to whatever topic overtook this thread.

The Court copy is at 179K with 4-5 days to go :o Somebody wants this ...

There is however no love for the Tec27 copy in the same auction : only 37K.

It probably gets hammered for being an (A) copy.

I am actually surprised that the price difference between these two is *that* large. But off course this is the COURT-copy ...

what do I know :slapfight:

Ahhh ... I mis read the listing: looks like the 179 (150+juice) is the reserve listed by the seller.