• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stuff of Legend fans...

368 posts in this topic

So, I was reading the OA forum and based on what I saw gave The Stuff of Legend a try. Then was seriously wondering how I had missed it over at this side of the fence? What I am finding out is I have happened across a book that is at an ideal point to jump on board (love it when that happens). The releases since 2009 seem to have been altogether pedestrian compared to what most of us read regularly. Only 14 issues out so far across about 40 months, so it's nice to have that chunk to get me hooked and re-read whilst waiting to see what comes next. I'm hoping that publications will pick up some pace now :wishluck: Does anyone know if it will? It probably allows for talk about SoL to quickly get buried I guess.

(For anyone that hasn't read it... boiling it down to a line it's about a Boy who has been taken by the boogeyman and the struggle his toys face trying to rescue him.

It's all the better for the influences it draws on, set in the 1940's, deliciously dark in places and a wonderfully crafted fable so far. Draw too many parallels and you might end up expecting Barbie and Ken riding off to battle on their My Little Pony but nothing could be further from the truth.

Go and read some reviews. Felt it was worth saying for anyone taking a random peek at this thread because it's not really said when browsing back a bit on it)

The art speaks for itself. I'm finding it hard to think of modern titles that stand up to it. It looks like some of the best work in a long time is being cranked out right under my nose. Very pleased to have given it a try.

Deserves a bump.

:whee:

Glad you liked it!!

I think of it as "Toy Story" meets Speilberg's "Saving Private Ryan." Yeah, the toys are alive like "Toy Story" but the mission is dangerous and characters die along the journey. Plus the characters debate whether or not they can/should continue like in "Saving Private Ryan."

Excellent comic!

the releases were so sporadic i would miss them and my lcs would only order one copy for the rack and if it was bent in half by the time i saw it i would take a pass. i don't have a file, nor will i get a file.

Easy to pick up the trades. There is usually a decent gap between volumes to allow Charles to get a head start and/or do other projects as he gets his name out there.

Once a volume starts it's pretty close to bi monthly. Charles is a perfectionist and does all the art himself, so I would rather wait and it look as good as it has from the beginning than rushed.

Also Brian Smith was editing at DC for a long while so that slowed some of the story. Mike Raicht the co writer has been getting some bigger gigs. I'm just happy they are going to eventually finish this labor of love.

This thread caught my eye and the next thing I know I'm ordering a copy of the Omnibus lol

Pick up volume 3 also in trade to complete the love :)