• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SA Adventure Comics Collectors Thread
7 7

706 posts in this topic

Something majestic about this cover...

AdventureComics259.jpg

From an avid MCs fan, ya'll have sold me on Adventure Comics. I love the Krypto covers !!

:acclaim:

Here is his first appearance - a very different looking dog to the sleek hound he would become. On the above cover he is partly through the transformation!

AdventureComics210-1.jpg

A cover with a "small town" feel that gave Smallville a certain charm!

Both this book and the #239 came from the original collection of Ron Karpovic, a nice guy who sold most of his books in the early days of ebay. He produced a great set of laser scans of his books, all in color, which was unusual ten years ago. I was very eager to buy from him.

AdventureComics236.jpg

The problem with a lot of these threads devoted to a single title is that some folks will post a huge number of covers right away, meaning that a thread will have a massive amount of activity in the first week or so and then fade away. If I could make one recommendation, it would be that you don`t have to post everything you have right away. Just post a few scans at a time so that the thread stays "active" longer.

Here`s my contribution to restart this thread.

adventure322-1.jpg

The problem with a lot of these threads devoted to a single title is that some folks will post a huge number of covers right away, meaning that a thread will have a massive amount of activity in the first week or so and then fade away. If I could make one recommendation, it would be that you don`t have to post everything you have right away. Just post a few scans at a time so that the thread stays "active" longer.

Here`s my contribution to restart this thread.

adventure322-1.jpg

This one would certainly be a good candidate for most silly DC SA book.

nice reprint issue:

adv403.jpg

I keep wanting to buy this issue, but it always ends up selling for more than I'm willing to pay for it! I just have a hard time going hard after any book from the 1970s.

It really is a great issue. It reprints Adventure 304 with the death of Lightning Lad and 312 with his resurrection.

adv304.jpg

adv312.jpg

The 312 is a notoriously tough book to get in high grade. A 9.4 recently fetched about $1,400.

The problem with a lot of these threads devoted to a single title is that some folks will post a huge number of covers right away, meaning that a thread will have a massive amount of activity in the first week or so and then fade away. If I could make one recommendation, it would be that you don`t have to post everything you have right away. Just post a few scans at a time so that the thread stays "active" longer.[/img]

I was posting a lot. I gave it a rest not because I don't have a lot more I could show but rather because the thread had paused, without further contributions from others.

Glad to see it active again!

These boards tend to be very image intensive, but short on discussion.

As the originator of this thread, I was hoping for some discussion too.

I have about 10 Adventure Comics topics I'd like to discuss, but I'll start it out with this one:

When did the Silver Age begin specific to Adventure Comics?

I personally am of the belief that each series had its own unique entry into the Silver Age. For me, Adventure seemed to be focused on Superboy as a a kid (like 11-13) up until the mid-to-late 50's, then it really changed its focus to Superboy as a teen-ager. It might be coincidence, but this change seemed to me to occur about the same time as Showcase #4. As an example, here is #227 where Superboy is quite clearly a BOY:

adv227.jpg

Compared to an issue like #246 where he seems to be a teen-ager:

adventurecomics246.jpg

The change wasn't a sharply defined one. In the late 40's and early 50's he was almost exclusively a boy, in the mid 50's he seemed to shift back-and-forth from boy to teenager, but by the late 50's/early 60's he was exclusively a teenager.

My guess is that this was a result of changing demographics. In 1953 the first of the baby-boomers was seven. By 1959, however, there were teenaged boomers. DC was likely just trying to appeal to this changing audience.

Another guess is that Adventure Comics focus on a teen-ager had more of an impact on Marvel Comics than most other DC titles.

Anyway, I just wanted to start off a discussion in addition to the eye-candy covers that I cannot compete with.

-John

Edited by Gopher John