• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SA Adventure Comics Collectors Thread
7 7

706 posts in this topic

Thanks for the compliments guys! :acclaim:

I just received my Adventure #247 which was delivered today. After looking it over carefully, it confirmed a suspicion I had for the last two weeks. hm

Just to give you all a brief backstory, when I was first shopping around for an Adventure #247 a couple of months ago, I noticed a 6.5 OW-W copy for sale on eBay listed by Harley Yee (whom I've known for a long time). The BIN price was for $3,000. I thought that I would wait until the Nov.20th Toronto Comicon (held yesterday) to make Harley an offer and possibly buy it. However, when the Sparkle City Comics auction on eBay (held on Nov.13th) came along, the 6.0 OW copy that you've all seen was listed. I then had to make a decision whether to bid for this copy or to wait a week later to possibly buy the 6.5 OW-W copy from Harley. I ultimately decided to go with my gut instinct and bid for the 6.0 OW.

I ended up winning that auction for $2,002. What I found very curiously interesting looking at the scans for both books, were the exact similarities of the defects. Just to illustrate my point, take a close look at the following two scans:

2011june23adv247cgc.JPG

1053585012a.jpg

As you can see, aside from the 6.0 scan being a bit darker, the only difference is the pencilled arrival date "2-27" written on the 6.5 copy.

Yesterday at the Toronto Comicon, I asked Harley if he still has his 6.5 copy available for sale. He told me that he already sold it quite a while ago and that he hadn't yet gotten around to removing it off his eBay listing (BTW, it's still there as I write this posting). He last updated it back on June 28th: ADVENTURE-COMICS #247 - DC-1958- 6.5 CGC OW-W

Anyway, today when I examined my 6.0 copy close in hand, I could easily see an erasure job done on the exact same spot where the

"2-27" was on the 6.5 copy (yes I know, it's hard to make out on the 6.0 scan) ! Now unless I'm mistaken, it appears that the last owner of the 6.5 copy cracked open the slab, erased the pencilled 2-27 date, re-submitted the book to CGC for re-grading, and got burnt with BOTH a downgrade and lower page quality! The CGC serial numbers are a possible giveaway. Could these two books be one and the same???

If so, then one of the most basic lessons to be learned is.... NEVER erase any pencilled writing on a book!!! :preach:

I noticed that one of you commented that the 6.0 copy looks much better than its assigned grade. Now you know why! doh!

I thought that I would wait until the Nov.20th Toronto Comicon (held yesterday) to make Harley an offer and possibly buy it.

How was the show by the way? I had to miss it this time.

???

Hepcat,

To be honest (being the GA & SA collector that I am), I was somewhat underwhelmed by the event. :eyeroll: It was a relatively smaller show after all. Personally, I'm not familiar with any of the special guests there (whom I presume are creators of modern comics, which I don't collect). (shrug) Among the dealers there, I'd say only 3 or 4 of them specialized in GA and/or SA comics. As it happened, I ended up not buying a single thing since I was much more selective in my search this time. But that's OK because I live downtown and within easy walking distance of the Metro Convention Centre (plus I got in for free!). It also gave me the opportunity to chat with those dealers I know, like Harley Yee and Steve (Comic Book Addiction) :gossip:

As for whether you missed out, it all depends on what you're looking for. I hope my take on this event was helpful.

Looks as nice as my raw copy. I'll have to have it slabbed at Terry's show in Yourba LInda out in Orange County next month. I bought it from MOtor City Comics. He claimed it was a 4.0, but it pops out at the bottom staple so I''m not sure what grade it will get.

But I love your copy. I really appreciate many low grade books, especially key books. Congrats!

I don't think it's touched up because it looks as if there's wear around the staples. In other words, why would they have done such a lousy job if it's touched up, other than to fool someone like me of course?

???

Edited by Hepcat

i just bought a collection of DC 10 centers.. the adventures were numbers 253-280 missing only 257 and 258..all in my opinion will grade out at least 6.0...should i slab them?
Are you keeping these or selling them? The important ones here are 256, 260, and 267. Nice run of this series!