• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

! ! ! SHAZAM ! ! ! The Captain Marvel, Mary M., Jr. and Co. Thread
2 2

189 posts in this topic

Couple Cap factoids:

As many of you know, as campy as Cap and his buddies were, they outsold Superman in their day.

Whiz was selling nearly 500,000 copies within the first year. By 1943, Captain

Marvel Adventures was selling 1 million copies and in 1946 the figure was

almost 1.5 million copies sold every two weeks!

Publishers earned about six cents per book. On Captain Marvel Adventures

Fawcett would earn about $78,000 per issue for almost $1 million annually.

Not bad for the Big Red Cheese.

3216205037_77295e468f_o.jpg

3304559519_7879748efc_b.jpg

2221209282_da8a425314_o.jpg

I like that Binder cover, giant robots and the big splash from Cap 18. I think Cap Mavel 20 also had a pretty nice splash.

That Cap 18 artwork is from Marc Swayze who was one of Beck's assistants. He really originated the look of Mary Marvel. Jack Binder really refined it with his Mary covers. Great stuff

Some of the most beat-up books you'll ever see BUT these are Court copies as well! :cloud9:

SpecialEdition.jpg

Cap1.jpg

Those are what I call well-loved books.

Seriously. I have no clue why these books devolved into this condition.

Trial exhibits are usually given back to the parties at the end of case. The HG court copies I posted above were all found in the Fawcett warehouse when Sparkle City purchased the inventory back in the early 1980s. Remarkably, all of the copies I have come across have remained relatively in the same condition since their discovery.

These other three books were clearly not maintained by Fawcett. I purchased one of them on ebay and learned about the existence of the other two and grabbed them as well. I was told by the seller, who was simply an ebay third party vendor, that the owner indicated these three books were in the possession of a former Fawcett employee. Unfortunately that's all I know.

The trial was in 1948 so I doubt we'll ever know when, how or why these three books left Fawcett.

This thread needs more Mary. :sumo:

MaryMarvel5.jpg

I totally agree (thumbs u

You don´t see this book very often and except for the one corner it looks really sharp :applause:

It does not hurt to post this again....

absolutely love this!!!!

This one might be the lowest graded Whiz book I own, but I think the cover is extremely cool and even though it is a 1.5, it presents very well. Never the less, I am waiting for an opportunity to upgrade.

WhizComics9cgc15.jpg

my 9 was low grade too...tough book to find in nice shape