• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,930 posts in this topic

So I picked up 4 Dave Stevens Sketchbooks. I still need to find "Brush with Passion" and "Vamps & Vixens".

Dave Stevens Covers & Stories, Dave Stevens Complete Sketches & Studies.

Just Teasing Soft Cover and Just Teasing Hard Cover Limited Edition Signed and #'d.

bf0ebe35-9d2a-4940-8d4c-d4d303d851e3_zpscc894e13.jpg

Edited by faster friends

I've lurked in this thread for quite some time, and felt it was long past overdue for me to give my two cents.

Having grown up as a comic reader in the 80's, Dave Stevens has been my favorite artist for longer than I can recall. By the late 90's I had managed to put together a pretty much complete (I think it was complete, but it seems there's always some weird rarity here or there) collection of his covers. Once they started collecting this stuff in hardcover form a couple of years ago, I decided to sell the floppies. It remains one of the biggest mistakes of my collecting life, and a few months ago I started re-buying those books, only this time I'm going the slabbed route.

At any rate, it was my great pleasure to get to meet Dave at DragonCon several years ago. I know I've mentioned this elsewhere, but D-Con remains my favorite con for meeting comic pros because comics are just one tiny sliver of what that show is about, so you can oftentimes find your idols just sitting at a table, with no line whatsoever.

So it was that I found Dave at his table, completely alone and eating a sandwich. I decided to let him finish up before I bugged him, so I made a couple of passes at his table before I finally settled in.

Of course at the time I had no idea that we would be losing him so soon, so I take some solace in the fact that when I met him, I used the opportunity to tell him that he had been my favorite artist since I was a kid, and how much his work meant to me.

He was very humble and pleasant. I never like to overstay my welcome, so I had a couple of things signed and then went on my way. Of course now I wish I had bent his ear all day long, but at the time it seemed best to not burden him.

These are the prints I walked away with, and they remain some of my most treasured possessions:

2pzwe1w.jpg

and

2e56q36.jpg

I had a couple of other pieces signed that I later sold off, and I'm kicking myself about that now. But they weren't personalized, and that is what makes these so precious to me.

Some other favorite Dave related pieces that I own:

vzy07m.jpg

Signed/Numbered Bettie Print

2zgtafk.jpg

Brush With Passion signed/numbered slipcase edition

2dqlg6q.jpg

Signature page from same

I bought the BWP book from a guy auctioning off several pieces of Dave's estate. (Who knows, he may be in this thread too!) He threw in a couple of extras that I was happy to have. I know someone else posted it earlier, but I was THRILLED to have the "Thanks for a Wonderful Evening" motion greeting card after years of searching. He also threw in some neat odds and ends like what appears to be a Christmas card.

x6mn1y.jpg

Anyway, the morals of this long-winded tale:

1. Never pass up an opportunity to tell your heroes just how much they mean to you, because you never know how long they'll be around. Don't put them off until "the next con".

and

2. Dave is the best, and this thread is a terrific place to talk about his awesome stuff.

Thanks gang!