• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venom Lethal Protector Black Error Cover

95 posts in this topic

I believe the process is:

a) obtain copy of Venom Lethal Protector

b) lay copy of Venom Lethal Protector on table

c) plug in hair dryer/heatgun

d) turn hair dryer/heatgun on low heat setting

e) apply heat from hair dryer/heatgun to front cover

f) watch foil crumple and flake off

g) send to CGC

h) be the proud owner of counter-fit black cover copy of Venom Lethal Protector

I'm being a smartass there, but I'm basing that on my experience with hockey shafts and blades. Many shafts come with the same type of metallic foil around the insert for the blade, and it comes right off as soon as low heat is applied.

Ironically, I just sent my Venom LP to cgc this week, but the red cover is still in tact :) I'm almost positive that I've seen one of these before. I was expecting to see a completely flat and gloosy foil front and instead the iconic venom pose (okay to me its iconic :P) was much higher than the rest of the front and no glossy foil cover; it didn't even look like the AMZ 9/11 front...hard to describe and I thought I was just nuts. At least I can tell my wife that ain't true!

I'm curious to see if this works for anyone and I'd put in like $10 bucks if someone has an extra laying around to see what CGC does with it. Maybe a few of others can chip in too?

Jerome

I tried it with a heat gun as soon as I read the article. I used high heat and honestly didnt spend much time at it. All I noticed happening was that the corner of the book seemed to start to curl. I scratched at the foil and it felt solid. I was under the impression it would either just lift off by itself or at least become gummy and you could roll it off with your fingertips. Neither of these two events happened. Perhaps longer slower heat would do something. ( :

i'll buy one this weekend and do it

Looks like no one has done it successfully yet...I will try the low heat on a hairdryer and see what happens. I'll buy the best one I can on ebay and try it out fellas. I can make a small video to see what happens (if anything???) too and get some pics up as well before and after, assuming everything goes according to plan, hehe. I'm thinking it won't work and is an urban legend.

EDIT: I bought this one on eBay. So with any luck the grade won't drop much? haha wishful thinking I know. I'll keep you guys posted.

EDIT 2: Well try as I might, I had no success at all. My wife has two hairdryer's and neither did ANYTHING even on high heat. So I had the 'genius' idea of putting the comic in the oven on Broil (where the heat emits from the top) and...again, nothing except the cover was getting bent from the heat. But that foil just isn't going anywhere and I'm thinking there is no black underneath. Mythbusted!

VenomMythBusted.jpg

Laters.

Jerome

I'm not a fan of the Venom Black, because the same print run errors happen to lots of books (similar to double cover errors)--it's just this one that got the press (and thus, supposed legitimacy and value).

My buddy in high school bought a foil-less direct sale error version of Iron Man # 300. Basically the same as the Venom Black. Does anyone care? No.

Ditto all the foil-less Deathmate errors; I know of at least 3.

Why does no one ever talk about the white error variant? Is it that no one knows about it, or no one cares?

Only one has been found and it's been graded by CGC as a blue label 9.6. I've seen a scan of the slab, but I can't find it.

11ec4f10-bef1-48bb-90d2-ed5e0b9f85ec.jpg

It seems if you're going for rarity, this is the one to talk about. Maybe I'm missing something.

Why does no one ever talk about the white error variant? Is it that no one knows about it, or no one cares?

Only one has been found and it's been graded by CGC as a blue label 9.6. I've seen a scan of the slab, but I can't find it.

It seems if you're going for rarity, this is the one to talk about. Maybe I'm missing something.

It's done in by its own scarcity. If there were a dozen copies or so, it'd be much more sought after.

Since there's only ONE (known), it may as well not even exist.

News about the Venom #1 white error

I searched for this book ( Black error) for a long time. For a Venom collector like me its the Star Wars #1 -35 cent type book for the modern stuff. I consider this book one of my Grails.Say what you will I consider this book a colectibe and would rather sell some of my 60 keys then this book. Probally would never sell it no matter how much I was offered ( well atleast anything under $1,000).