• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP (board member) deamentia.

154 posts in this topic

???

When I first came on the boards, Jason was one of the very first people I really struck a chord with and we chatted via PM quite a bit. I remember talking with him early in the morning as it was late at night in CA and buying my ASM 39 from him (along with many other ASM books) and I was beyond excited too. I almost bought my ASM 1 and AF 15 from him too while I was on summer vacation in 2007 as he was raising money for his wedding (but I was too nervous to spend that much money yet).

After looking through my PMs, one of our last discussions was in the summer of 08 when we were talking about how both of us were excited about trying for kids :sorry: No wonder later PMs were never responded to.

Really, really sad to see happen someone who I considered to be one of my Spider-Man collecting buds.

Personal bankruptcy....., hope it wasn't comic obsession related.

I traded books with him if I remember correctly. :sorry:

I won't speculate too much on it, but I do know that between 2007 and late 2008, he went through about 2 complete runs + of ASM. The first time, I know he was doing so to pay bills... then I remember he started flipping books more frequently between here and on eBay. Debt certainly was something we talked about...

Man... just puts a real pit in your stomach, especially when you consider this happened a year and a half ago.

I apologize for not posting about it sooner. I learned about it at Wondercon 2009 from another local boardmember. It's not something I really wanted to post about...

I met Jason at local conventions and I went to his house a couple of times in late 2008 when he and his wife moved to Concord, CA.

I didn't know about his bankruptcy situation then, only that he was selling some of his comics. (He gave me a tour of his comic room.) He had just gotten a job with the IRS I think and Serena was a pastry chef at a notable restaurant here in SF.

He had a garage sale for his comics one afternoon and when I went over there, no one had basically shown up the entire afternoon. I ended up buying everything he had for sale in the garage and returned later with a replacement Secret Wars #8 9.6 slab to make up for a cracked slab he had gotten from me previously. (Damaged during shipping.)

That was the last time I saw him. :(

Very sad news.

I just read that his wife was cheating on him. I can't say I would do the same obviously, but people who are cheated on by someone they love must go through some intense mental anguish. It's just a horrible horrible thing to have to endure. I can't even imagine!