• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why have so many old timers left the boards?

130 posts in this topic

After 8 years on the boards, where I logged in every single day it's getting a little tedious.

A good discussion is hard to find, as they seem to have been replaced by shouting matches. Lots of people are slaves to a certain agenda and can't wait to pull it out so they can prove a point or steer a discussion in a certain way.

I rarely participate in Comics General any more, partly because of the above reasons and partly because, without wanting to sound jaded, most stuff is a rehash of topics from 2006 which were already a rehash of topics from 2002.

I still log in every day, but now spend most of my time in the Silver Age section and in private PMs.

The positive part is that after all this time spent on the boars and spent collecting funny books, it's still my only hobby and I haven't grown tired of it at all.

I agree with you 100%, unless you're part of that Flemish / French thing

going on today.... :baiting:

After 8 years on the boards, where I logged in every single day it's getting a little tedious.

A good discussion is hard to find, as they seem to have been replaced by shouting matches. Lots of people are slaves to a certain agenda and can't wait to pull it out so they can prove a point or steer a discussion in a certain way.

I rarely participate in Comics General any more, partly because of the above reasons and partly because, without wanting to sound jaded, most stuff is a rehash of topics from 2006 which were already a rehash of topics from 2002.

I still log in every day, but now spend most of my time in the Silver Age section and in private PMs.

The positive part is that after all this time spent on the boars and spent collecting funny books, it's still my only hobby and I haven't grown tired of it at all.

You have no idea how deep I'm hiding from the political mess/farce my country is in right now :cry:

You have no idea how deep I'm hiding from the political mess/farce my country is in right now :cry:

Civil War Flemish style = insult your opponents favorite adult beverage ?

Civil War Flemish style = insult your opponents favorite adult beverage ?

Nah, just refer to your opponent's chocolate as "vegelate". :grin:

or explained how CGC could implement the "star" system like NGC does for perfectly centered books with great printing registration and color saturation? (shrug)

Haven't heard much about the bolded bit, I admit.

Something like NGC's star rating would be a great application for comic book grading, I can't believe CGC hasn't done anything with it yet. Perhaps they're waiting until subs slow down before offering this service? Books with great eye appeal and characteristics such as perfect centering, which currently have little to no effect on the numerical grade but certainly play a big role in the value of the book, would garner a "star" rating in addition to the current numerical grade.

Here's what NGC has to say about it:

NGC assigns a "star" to coins with exceptional eye appeal for their assigned grade.

Eye appeal is the most subjective attribute of a coin, but there are norms and standards shared by numismatists. Exceptional eye appeal may include attributes such as vibrant, colorful toning; intense luster; or, in the case of Proof coins, especially strong cameo contrast. To receive a "star", coins must be free of any obvious planchet irregularities, and display no bothersome spots or blemishes. Toned coins can be of a single color or multicolored but cannot have any areas that are dark brown, approaching black.

It’s important to remember that "star" designated coins can fall anywhere within the grades to which they are assigned. For example, an MS 64-graded coin could be at the lower end, mid-range or higher end of that grade.

NGC applies the "star" to qualifying US coins in its normal course of grading. It is not used for non-US coins. As they are already of the ultimate grade, any coin graded MS 70 or PF 70 will not be eligible for the "star". Coins already certified by NGC can be resubmitted and reviewed for "star" using the Designation Review Service, the fee for which is $10.

or explained how CGC could implement the "star" system like NGC does for perfectly centered books with great printing registration and color saturation? (shrug)

Haven't heard much about the bolded bit, I admit.

Something like NGC's star rating would be a great application for comic book grading, I can't believe CGC hasn't done anything with it yet. Perhaps they're waiting until subs slow down before offering this service? Books with great eye appeal and characteristics such as perfect centering, which currently have little to no effect on the numerical grade but certainly play a big role in the value of the book, would garner a "star" rating in addition to the current numerical grade.

Here's what NGC has to say about it:

NGC assigns a "star" to coins with exceptional eye appeal for their assigned grade.

Eye appeal is the most subjective attribute of a coin, but there are norms and standards shared by numismatists. Exceptional eye appeal may include attributes such as vibrant, colorful toning; intense luster; or, in the case of Proof coins, especially strong cameo contrast. To receive a "star", coins must be free of any obvious planchet irregularities, and display no bothersome spots or blemishes. Toned coins can be of a single color or multicolored but cannot have any areas that are dark brown, approaching black.

It’s important to remember that "star" designated coins can fall anywhere within the grades to which they are assigned. For example, an MS 64-graded coin could be at the lower end, mid-range or higher end of that grade.

NGC applies the "star" to qualifying US coins in its normal course of grading. It is not used for non-US coins. As they are already of the ultimate grade, any coin graded MS 70 or PF 70 will not be eligible for the "star". Coins already certified by NGC can be resubmitted and reviewed for "star" using the Designation Review Service, the fee for which is $10.

I don't know how I feel about this idea migrating over to comics. It's easier to put that kind of production tax on cards than comics. There is way more involved in putting together comics, and it's already becoming evident that certain production flaws are becoming a burden on publishers, distributors and sellers. I'd rather just leave that degree of collector preference a pursuit that isn't gamed by some star rating, and leave it to the seller to market those production values (centering, registration, colour strike, etc.) as they see fit.

I don't know how I feel about this idea migrating over to comics. It's easier to put that kind of production tax on cards than comics. There is way more involved in putting together comics, and it's already becoming evident that certain production flaws are becoming a burden on publishers, distributors and sellers. I'd rather just leave that degree of collector preference a pursuit that isn't gamed by some star rating, and leave it to the seller to market those production values (centering, registration, colour strike, etc.) as they see fit.

Just because comics are harder doesn't make us collectors more forgiving on the aesthetics. I think this star system is a fabulous idea, and this is the first I've heard of a coin company doing it. When did they start assigning stars?

Just because comics are harder doesn't make us collectors more forgiving on the aesthetics. I think this star system is a fabulous idea, and this is the first I've heard of a coin company doing it. When did they start assigning stars?

I used to harp on this frequently in the early days of the boards...in fact, here's a thread from 2003 where I mentioned it, and you're in there talking about it too.

I used to harp on this frequently in the early days of the boards...in fact, here's a thread from 2003 where I mentioned it, and you're in there talking about it too.

Huh, Beyonder came up with QP (quality of production)?

Huh, Beyonder came up with QP (quality of production)?

doh!

Collectors were seeking out perfectly-centered copies with good color, correct staple placement, and no printer's creases or Marvel chips long before CGC was even a gleam in Steve Borock's eye.

lol I realize that, but the post below by Bugaboo sounds as if you all we're discussing term or acronym QP as if Beyonder just came up with it.

But I didn't read the whole thread so who knows.

"I do understand what you're trying to do, but I think the QP (quality of production) is too close to PQ (page quality).

I think you should come up with an acronym that can't be so easily confused.

I dunno......just thinking out loud. "

Seems to me that in the last year or two a bunch of long time posters have..well.....quit posting.

Anyone know why that may be?

Is the the pressing issues that has divided the collecting community?

Or am I just imagining this?

What constitutes an old timer?