• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Connect Grading?

40 posts in this topic

I was browsing Comic Connect the other day and was wondering about the grades listed on the site. For the books that aren't CGC graded how reliable are the grades listed? Are they graded by the seller or Comic Connect? Has anybody had any experience with non CGC books from Comic Connect?

Thanks all.

I think it depends on whether or not the book is 'comicconnect verified'. I bought one raw book there and I was very pleased... but I have seen some scans that had me scratching my head, too.

I have bought 5 raw books from CC that were "verified"...all 5 sent to cgc...4 of them cc hit the cgc grade on the nose!

1 of them they were off by 1.5 (they had as a 8.5 and cgc called 7.0 due to stain)

I have bought 5 raw books from CC that were "verified"...all 5 sent to cgc...4 of them cc hit the cgc grade on the nose!

1 of them they were off by 1.5 (they had as a 8.5 and cgc called 7.0 due to stain)

What happened with that? Does comic connect give some sort of money back guarantee?

What happened with that? Does comic connect give some sort of money back guarantee?

Unlikely, but you could ask them exactly what the "verified" part means.

I've also heard that you should stick with the "verified" and basically avoid the ones that aren't. Either that or expect a lower grade by 0.5 to 1.5. Mind you, this is all hearsay. You didn't hear me say it, though. :gossip:

Andy

I was browsing Comic Connect the other day and was wondering about the grades listed on the site. For the books that aren't CGC graded how reliable are the grades listed? Are they graded by the seller or Comic Connect? Has anybody had any experience with non CGC books from Comic Connect?

Thanks all.

Comic Connect is Metropolis Comics Sister site...i've been having a heated discussion with Metro regarding the FF 39 double cover listed on both sites.

It was the slabbed 8.5 "mannarino collection" "LIGHT TAN PAGES" book,that will never get higher than a 8.5 due to the poor page quality,and was last sold for $185...yet they full well know that,and have it listed as a 9.0 "RAW" at almost 9.0 GPA...

YOU TELL ME,HOW IS CC's grading??? :baiting:

I've purchased a few raw books from ComicConnect...I've had 2 of them graded:

TALES TO ASTONISH #62 F/VF 7.0 (1st Leader)

Came back a Universal CGC 9.0

+2.0

AVENGERS #4 VG 4.0 (1st SA Cap)

Came back a Sig Series CGC .5 incomplete, missing a page. Likely would have been a 4.5 if it weren't missing p.12

-3.5 and a lot of $$$

So, what do you take from this? It's a crapshoot...buy at your own risk (thumbs u

I've purchased a few raw books from ComicConnect...I've had 2 of them graded:

TALES TO ASTONISH #62 F/VF 7.0 (1st Leader)

Came back a Universal CGC 9.0

+2.0

AVENGERS #4 VG 4.0 (1st SA Cap)

Came back a Sig Series CGC .5 incomplete, missing a page. Likely would have been a 4.5 if it weren't missing p.12

-3.5 and a lot of $$$

So, what do you take from this? It's a crapshoot...buy at your own risk (thumbs u

Totally agree,except for the FF 39 Double Cover they have listed as a 9.0..if you buy that,you are guaranteed to be instantly in the (-) group

Thanks all.

Comic Connect is Metropolis Comics Sister site...i've been having a heated discussion with Metro regarding the FF 39 double cover listed on both sites.

It was the slabbed 8.5 "mannarino collection" "LIGHT TAN PAGES" book,that will never get higher than a 8.5 due to the poor page quality,and was last sold for $185...yet they full well know that,and have it listed as a 9.0 "RAW" at almost 9.0 GPA...

Well, not everyone agrees that LT pages should put an automatic cap on a book at VF+.

Thanks all.

Well, not everyone agrees that LT pages should put an automatic cap on a book at VF+.

+1 Im one of them.

Thanks all.

+1 Im one of them.

I fully agree,too bad CGC doesn't,and if bought as a 9.0 as listed and slabbed,someone's going to be very disappointed with an 8.5 bought as a 9.0,at 9.0 price,and that Metro knows was a 8.5 with Light Tan Pages previously slabbed.

That was my point

It's actually really bad Ethics on Metro's part.

Would they KNOWINGLY allow a Dupak or Ewert Trimmed book to be listed as Non-Restored? NO But it's OK for them to list a RAW book,knowing what it's previous CGC grade was,and WHY it was at that grade,as a higher grade? BS

Bought 3 raw books, all game back 1.5 grade lower than advertised. They offered to refund (but not my grading/shipping fees) and stated "we stand by our scan", whatever that is supposed to mean. Obviously those were the last raw books I ever purchased from them.

Thanks all.

+1 Im one of them.

I fully agree,too bad CGC doesn't,and if bought as a 9.0 as listed and slabbed,someone's going to be very disappointed with an 8.5 bought as a 9.0,at 9.0 price,and that Metro knows was a 8.5 with Light Tan Pages previously slabbed.

That was my point

It's actually really bad Ethics on Metro's part.

Would they KNOWINGLY allow a Dupak or Ewert Trimmed book to be listed as Non-Restored? NO But it's OK for them to list a RAW book,knowing what it's previous CGC grade was,and WHY it was at that grade,as a higher grade? BS

I don't think the 8.5 cap because of the PQ is necessarily inaccurate, but how does anyone truly know outside of hearing someone from CGC say this? There's no published grading standards. I take it that it's from the experience of a number of people who've submitted books with similar PQ? :shrug: Even so, how does anyone know that CGC won't give a 9.0 to a book with light tan pages?

I think it's astounding that CGC has enjoyed the success they've had--and have been in existence for a decade--without published standards (I know this has been batted around a time or two before :whistle:).

I think it's astounding that CGC has enjoyed the success they've had--and have been in existence for a decade--without published standards (I know this has been batted around a time or two before :whistle:).

Yeah lots of theories as to why they don't publish them but none of them seem to make any sense. But that topic is as played out as they get.

I've bought quite a few from Metro/Comicconect and have been happy with them. A couple may have been off by a half grade from what I THINK CGC may have given them, which isn't bad. I'm looking at a few more now. They've got the BEST inventory in the world, fast shipping, and a GREAT return policy. They've been in business for ever and one thing some people don't realize is that they use their own grading system that is spelled out on their site. If you read that before purchasing you will probably find that their grading matches the claims they've made in that section. I think a lot of people are dissapointed when ther book isn't BETTER than what they paid for, which is unrealistic when purchasing from professionals. I'll buy from them again....but most of what I go for is 2.5 to 8.5, so I go in expecting some flaws. As for the Mannarino books, I know of one that resubbed from a 9.2 to a 9.4 (and it SHOULD have)....and the few I've owned were structurally some of the nicest books I've ever seen. Many of the C/OW examples don't have any tanning on the covers, just the pages. You can always order the book from them and if you disagree, return it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks all.

+1 Im one of them.
The book should be graded based on it's structure. There's no point in downgrading based on page quality. (Unfortunately, this is not the way it is done)

Thanks all.

+1 Im one of them.
The book should be graded based on it's structure. There's no point in downgrading based on page quality. (Unfortunately, this is not the way it is done)

This IS the way CGC does it up to light tan. For some reason they've decided to draw a line at LT to OW as having a cut off and will take PQ into account in the grade but they won't do this with CR-OW or better pages.