• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman collecting thread
1 1

750 posts in this topic

Here are scans of a couple of my Batman comics from later in the Silver Age:

03-08-2011112447PM.jpg

Batman199.jpg

:juggle:

Great books! What number do you think would be the last Silver Age BATMAN?

mm

Since there's no hard and fast line stylistically that would mark the end of the Silver Age in Batman, I'd say that the curtain came down on the Silver Age with issue #212 which was the last twelve cent issue.

(shrug)

Here are scans of two more of my late Silver Age Batman comics:

14-07-201330818PM_zpsa7c86a35.jpg

14-07-201330823PM_zps8c16467c.jpg

:)

Since there's no hard and fast line stylistically that would mark the end of the Silver Age in Batman, I'd say that the curtain came down on the Silver Age with issue #212 which was the last twelve cent issue.

(shrug)

Here are scans of two more of my late Silver Age Batman comics:

14-07-201330818PM_zpsa7c86a35.jpg

:)

GREAT COVER on #200...I guess my BATMAN run of #295 to #545 would be way

out of the Silver age.

mm

Another Comic-Con purchase this hard-to-find Detective Comics 254 came from John Dolmayan, drummer for the Hard Rock band "System of a Down". Nice guy. He had an Action Comics #1 in CGC 6.0 at his booth, Torpedo Comics. Couldn't afford that so I bought this Detective Comics instead. Who needs Superman when I could have Ace the Bat-Hound!

d6611ec7-b468-4414-a764-136d86f302eb.jpg

Who needs Superman when I could have Ace the Bat-Hound!

Ahhhhh, a kindred spirit sharing my way of thinking! Besides, is Action 1 really that much more difficult to find than Detective 254?

???

Who needs Superman when I could have Ace the Bat-Hound!

Ahhhhh, a kindred spirit sharing my way of thinking! Besides, is Action 1 really that much more difficult to find than Detective 254?

???

Excellent observation! Detectives in the 1950s especially nice copies are very hard to find. Come to think of it the last copy of a "Tec 254 I saw was at a local show about 8 years ago. I would've bought it but the pages were very dark.

SLR

I've been looking for that Detective Comics #331. First apperance of CATMAN!

Actually it's Detective Comics 311 and it is hard to find in grade. I'm happy with the nice Fine or Fine + copy I have for now. BTW, I always wonder why the book hasn't broken out in the OSPG. Well, who can figure the Price Guide at times?

SLR

I've been looking for that Detective Comics #331. First apperance of CATMAN!

Actually it's Detective Comics 311 and it is hard to find in grade. I'm happy with the nice Fine or Fine + copy I have for now. BTW, I always wonder why the book hasn't broken out in the OSPG. Well, who can figure the Price Guide at times?

SLR

Oops I meant 311!

Detective Comics 235 contains one of my favorite Batman tales and adds an additional element to his origin. I've read and reread the book many times and never tire of it. One day I'll find an upgrade but at least I can always enjoy the story and artwork.

12b7e666-db20-416c-8b6d-e7f91d76badc.jpg

Detective Comics 235 contains one of my favorite Batman tales and adds an additional element to his origin. I've read and reread the book many times and never tire of it. One day I'll find an upgrade but at least I can always enjoy the story and artwork.

That's one of my favorite stories as well and what a great book!

Is that one pretty tough to find? I haven't run across many...

That's one of my favorite stories as well and what a great book!

Is that one pretty tough to find? I haven't run across many...

I believe most DC books of the 1950s are difficult to find--especially in grade. However, I've seen many more Detective 225s (first appearance of the Martian Manhunter) and even Detective 226s than I have of this book. Personally, Detective Comics 230 (first appearance of the Mad Hatter) and 235 are tough to find in 6.0 and above. Even a nice-looking VG copy of both books are a bit hard to find especially with OW or better pages.

Impressive collection of Batman books here. Got me thinking maybe I should post a few of mine. I don't usually post my books. And I don't like to post the ones that are PGX graded on a CGC board. So forgive me if your offended. When it comes to Batman & Detective comics, I have exceptional pride in my Batman's. All store bought one owner. Enjoy!

Batman103_zps58ad72b1.jpg

Batman105_zps1c6421cb.jpg

Batman121_zpsb8bd0ef6.jpg

Det297_zps8eb56c62.jpg