• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old CGC label versus Newer Label...make a difference?

44 posts in this topic

Ok fess up people! Who on here is pressing books? I want to know! :grin:hm

Is this just going on all over the place? I've never pressed a book before but i'm starting to get curious. I have several VG+ raw books that could benefit to going to the next level.

You don't want to press books,or manipulate to a higher grade.Most books in VG probably are not good candidates anyway. (shrug)

It matters when they are AF15's and top 20 Silver Age/Golden Age Keys. FN- to FN+ is a big jump in price.

Is this just going on all over the place? I've never pressed a book before but i'm starting to get curious. I have several VG+ raw books that could benefit to going to the next level.

You don't want to press books,or manipulate to a higher grade.Most books in VG probably are not good candidates anyway. (shrug)

It matters when they are AF15's and top 20 Silver Age/Golden Age Keys. FN- to FN+ is a big jump in price.

I don't want to get this into a pressing discussion,I'm just not a fan of pressing and manipulation.Even more so when your talking the Big books in the hobby. :preach:

I don't want to get this into a pressing discussion,I'm just not a fan of pressing and manipulation.Even more so when your talking the Big books in the hobby. :preach:

:applause:

Yay, pressing thread in the Silver Forum. :whee::insane:

I think you should assume any high grade book at this point has been pressed. It can't be detected, the long term effects are not clear, but unless it is original owner collection how would you ever know?

I don't discriminate on old vs. new. Most of the books I buy have very thin populations so it is usually a matter of get it while you can if you want a 9.4 or better.

I think you should assume any high grade book at this point has been pressed. It can't be detected, the long term effects are not clear, but unless it is original owner collection how would you ever know?

I don't discriminate on old vs. new. Most of the books I buy have very thin populations so it is usually a matter of get it while you can if you want a 9.4 or better.

That statement is just plain ridiculous. You can't just assume that every high grade comic that has been slabbed has also been pressed. I've turned in a bunch of comics to CGC that weren't pressed and got 9.8's out of a lot of them.

It is not ridiculous. We are talking about high grade silver. CGC doesn't note it because they can't detect it. So in the absence of proof you should assume any high grade silver book has been pressed unless you know its origins.

Isn`t the new label better then the old label because it is less likely to be switched out? example someone could take a 9.2 out of the old label and replace it with something else,while the new label is tamper proof? any info or is this just a old wives tale? hm

Another point to add, is that books aren't being held anymore. So many of these books are being flipped and have had multiple opportunities to be pressed that your odds, especially with Marvel books which are sold in high volume are much higher.

How many books did we see from Mound City that got pressed and flipped in just a matter of weeks. If the book was a candidate it probably was pressed. And that is a collection that has only been around one year.

Whether you like it or not if you own high grade silver most likely you have a pressed book in your collection.

If it has pressable defects, it isn't pressed...if it doesn't, it might have been pressed, as you say, you'll never know for sure about those.

If it has pressable defects, it isn't pressed...if it doesn't, it might have been pressed, as you say, you'll never know for sure about those.

True, but it can be damn tough to tell if a book has pressable defects through a slab. Almost impossible actually since they are the non color breaking kind and the slab does a great job of hiding them.

True, but it can be damn tough to tell if a book has pressable defects through a slab. Almost impossible actually since they are the non color breaking kind and the slab does a great job of hiding them.

Example of a book you can tell is not pressed not just through the slab, but from a scan through the slab:

Spidey1_back.jpg

Off the topic of pressing, SCS is a real problem with the old holder and many a book (including some very valuable ones) were damaged in the old holder. New one a definite upgrade and SCS while Im sure still occurs isnt as scary a proposition. Picking up a book in an older holder and seeing the book shift upwards or downwards, banging against the inner well, is not a good feeling.

Dont think its as cut as dry as old label books were more harshly graded though that was the theory for a little bit. I've seen books in old label holders where it just seems that CGC just flat out had different grading standards. Based on what I see now however it seems in general CGC is more lenient now in the upper tiers and I see a lot more head scratchers in the 9.6 range then I did before.

Borock admitted that CGC was more harsh on paper quality early on, there was a period (I think around 2007 or so) where many a book that was resubmitted for a PQ review were upgraded, That window seems to have come and gone however.

Picking up a book in an older holder and seeing the book shift upwards or downwards, banging against the inner well, is not a good feeling.

I've found that the best thing to do is not shake one's slabbed books. :baiting:

Picking up a book in an older holder and seeing the book shift upwards or downwards, banging against the inner well, is not a good feeling.

I've found that the best thing to do is not shake one's slabbed books. :baiting:

I know you're joking, but it's a significant issue when buying books that have gone through many owners, or sat in dealer stock that has bounced around the convention circuit. Big scans both front and back are a buyers' best friend.

:o

I think that odds are probably higher that an "old label" slabbed book isn't pressed.

I believe it was done much less in that time frame of "old label" years.

you might be right...but back in the late 90's, chris f was regularly pressing books...I believe susan was...I know matt was...

now true, the way cgc grades (the deduct for flaws method) has definitely led to a HUGE surgence of pressing... but, my guess is that the number of books being submitted in the "old" days, is probably only slightly less proportional to the # of books that were pressed, relative to upto about 2 years ago (when pressing really took off)