• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey! New poster - pre-code Horror and Crime comic book addict!!

296 posts in this topic

Oh joy, yet ANOTHER Limey.

This board's full of 'em.

Well, I suppose they couldn't win two wars, so they'll try to beat us by assimilation...

:whistle:

(Welcome to the board, Creepy. I'm a dedicated Anglophile, so please take my cheeky comments in the spirit they are given. ;) )

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the boards and just wanted to make a quick post to introduce myself. My name is Nick, I'm from England in the UK and am a huge fan of (and collector of) pre-code horror and crime comics. Though I'm mostly interested in horror, specifically.

My all-time favourite comic book publishing company is E.C. and I adore their horror and crime comics in particular.

What got me into horror comics originally was the Stephen King/George A. Romero 1982 E.C. Comics tribute, "CREEPSHOW" - which was also my first horror film as a child and remains my favourite film to this day.

I'm pretty new to the whole CGC thing, and intend on getting some comics slabbed in the near future (how can I do this from the UK, btw?), though I've been aware of CGC for years of course - I suspect the vast majority of comic-book fans have!

I love reading up on the history of comic books, and am currently working my way through the Senate Subcommittee Investigation of Juvenile Delinquency in the United States transcripts (from thecomicbooks.com), and Fredric Wertham's book, "Seduction of the Innocent". A recently published edition - though I'd love to own an original first edition at some point!

Anyway, I think that's about it - just wanted to say 'hello!' :hi:

Any other pre-code horror fanatics here, let's have a show of hands! :grin:

Hi Nick, glad to have you on board. Collecting pre-code horror is expensive, altho' it is of course rewarding and fun. You're not after a Weird Mysteries 5, perchance? :whistle:

In one. (worship)

And yes it is. (thumbs u

WTTB NICK

Look forward 2 seeing your books, want lists or hearing about your collecting.

I, once finished my ASM201 to ASM300 all CGC 9.8 and predominantly CGC 9.8 Signature Series plan on skipping bronze, grabbing a couple 1st spidey villains in silver, then heading straight 2 GOLD. Although I will mostly be collecting marvel mystery and human torch GA books, I will definetly be grabbing up a few from the crypt or other GA horror somewhere down the line.

Hi.

Just wanted to introduce myself quickly.

Wanted to do this before going off to cook the Sunday dinner so please don't think I'm ignorant if I don't respond to any replies straight away.

Hoping to get back on later.

Whilst working for a writer on a project I stumbled across the Comic book medium, previous to this I admit to having very little knowledge.

Even after conducting extensive personal research I am obviously a complete novice.

I am however ' well into' this form of pop culture (to coin a phrase or two).

I have very little in the way of a personal collection but I am keen to acquire more material.

I've read the various guidelines to the Sales Forums but could'nt find the answer I was looking for. (I could well have missed it).

All the various threads and posts are a little daunting, so I apologise if this comes across as a stupid question.

Am I allowed to buy any books I may fancy in the sales forum, or do I have to be a member for a period of time?

Also would people be reluctant to sell to me, because I am unknown?

This is'nt a problem because I'm prepared to wait, and there is always ebay in the meantime (eek!) :P

Thanks for any help.

Jas.

Hello peeps.

Seems to be a lot of new members joining here lately which I guess must be quite tedious for the established members (or at least the more fractious and unwelcoming ones amongst y'all), nevertheless I'm jumping on the bandwagon and leaving my lurky days behind me and exposing myself keyboard-style.

I like some of the stuff written here, and some of it I don't, but that's no biggie because like anyone else I have a choice of who I read, and who I respond to, so hopefully the self-styled forum nazis will leave me alone to wreak my own particular brand of nonsense. I'm sure my own particular brand of s-h-i-t-e talk won't be much different to those with a bazillion posts after their name whose fingers are numb from graemlin tickling.

Live and let live I say.

I like to collect crime and horror-type books. More importantly I love to read 'em as well. In fact I LOVE to read em.

I don't like to see books behind plastic, I don't believe CGC, PGX or Mickey & Donald's grading skills are any better than mine. Conversely they are no worse either (probably). I do own a few CGC books, but these will eventually end up being cracked out to read.

I do believe CGC and the Internet have revolutionised the hobby for the better by and large.

And that's about it.

See yer round.

William

"Please allow me to introduce myself...I'm a man of wealth and taste.."

Well not really on both counts but I do like the Stones and thats as good an intro as I could think of.

I've been reading these Comic forums for some months now, in fact almost a year, and decided I'd like to join.

I don't know if I will have anything to contribute, it depends on the threads I suppose.

BUT, I do love Comic Books, and Artwork, I do read the things as well as gaze at them gormlessly thru' Plastic, and I guess that makes me a Collector.

So I'd just thought I'd make this initial post then maybe another late next week, if I feel the urge, which will make me top of The Post List by 2099.

So to everyone, I bid a fond HELLO

Hi.

I'm new and back into comics. Don't own a single one but plans are afoot to put that right soon, when I hope to post some books here as I buy them.

CGC is new on me, but I understand the premise after having read much about grading etc, and why 3rd party opinion is accepted.

Can anyone explain to me why this book should'nt be a 2.5?, as someone is hinting above. I thought their word was grading law.

I hope to buy some CGC books initially, but now I am puzzled. Do I accept their word as definitive on the grade of a book, or not?

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance :)

PS. Tough Crowd :blush:

PPS. Happy New Year 2010 to all. Guess maybe I will see you guys when I get some books of my own. :popcorn: