• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

I have loved this thread and have been watching it until I had some time.

I have a Tec 29 that I bought about 10 years ago off ebay. It was missing the centerfold, about a month after I picked it up a incomplete coverless copy showed up on ebay and I was able to win that was well.

The down side was that the coverless book had a few panels cut which wasn't mentioned in the auction and so my now restored book is complete but has 4 married wraps.

Matt thought it would be a 5.5 but it got a 3.5.

I have not had any luck buying any other books and of course I regret selling the 34 and 36 I used to own. Also had a coverless 38 at one point but I don't miss that as much.

James G

Married or not...a Tec #29 in ANY condition is a great book to have.

And good luck in your quest for the ever-illusive Tec #27. (thumbs u :wishluck:

I've been far to busy(lazy) to dig out and scan my books,but I just can't resist this thread any longer,it is after all my favorite mini run in the GA.

28- I bought this book from a very good friend several years ago for a price that slightly threatened our friendship lol just kidding Jimbo.. actually looking at the current state of the market I think I did just fine.It is low grade & unrestored,but has a married CF.I'm just happy to have a copy of what most consider the hardest issue to find.

tec28.jpg

29-Around a dozen years ago I traded a stack of cool GA books with a dealer in Canada,and this is one of the books I received.I was nervous about this deal since I hadn't seen any pics of what I was getting,only a description over the phone.The book has some slight resto which he noted,but he forgot to mention it has untouched white pages :cloud9:

tec29.jpg

30-This is the very 1st Detective I ever purchased.Might seem strange to some as it doesn't even have a Bat cover,but I was fully aware what awaited inside.I traded what would likely have been a 9.6 FF 10 plus some loot to Harley.Looking back now I should have kept the FF,but it was way before the advent of CGC,and in those days it was actually hard to trade SA for GA :insane: It's a beautiful unrestored copy,but I had Matt Nelson remove a small piece of tape that was over the lower staple some years back.

tec30.jpg

31- I believe most of us can thank Gator for adding a Tec or two to our collections.This one came from him in Chicago a few years ago.Had to hide any trace of what I spent on it from anyone I know because they'd surely think I am completely insane.

tec31.jpg

32-Crippen copy purchased from Heritage right before Gator got seriously involved and started driving up the prices for the rest of us :o

tec32.jpg

34- Nice little book I bought from Ciorac,for a very fair price.Unrestored and never slabbed-Thanks again BIll!

tec34.jpg

35- I looked for years for a nice copy that I could afford as it's my favorite cover of the run,unless you count the 29 or 31.Bought this as a 9.0 with mod P work in the early days of CGC when everyone seemed to be running away screaming from PLODS.Paid 2200 and clearly got taken..

tec35.jpg

36- Another Gator book.Cosmic Aeroplane copy.Was an 8.0 slight P before I cracked it out.Thanks Rick!!

tec36x.jpg

37- Bought this book recently from an original owner find.I had it slabbed since I owned a 3.5 also and wanted to keep the better of the two.

tec37x.jpg

Fantastic books! (worship)(worship)

good to see and hear your stories Russ! Nice haul, but...where's your 27? (shrug):grin:

It's always been too expensive,and that's why I find the 28 so appealing.

I find your entire collection, especially your Tecs, very appealing :cloud9:

good to see and hear your stories Russ! Nice haul, but...where's your 27? (shrug):grin:

It's always been too expensive,and that's why I find the 28 so appealing.

I find your entire collection, especially your Tecs, very appealing :cloud9:

amen to that

Beautiful run of books, Russ. :applause:

Tec 35- I looked for years for a nice copy that I could afford as it's my favorite cover of the run,unless you count the 29 or 31.Bought this as a 9.0 with mod P work in the early days of CGC when everyone seemed to be running away screaming from PLODS.Paid 2200 and clearly got taken..

Great price on a really pretty copy. When I was doing research to buy a Batman-cover Tec, with an eye towards #35 in particular, I was quite amazed at the bargain prices some of the mod/ext restored Tecs sold for even a scant five years ago. You definitely got in at the right time!

Here is a shot of my 29 in the CGC holder. I think in may respects it looks better then the 3.5 grade, I am guessing the pages sticking out pulled the grade down?

Tec29small.jpg

James G

Edited by jgallo

Nice run you got there, Russ. Yup, Tec 28's are hard to find. Actually, all DC's cover dated June 1939 are scarce.

I think Tec 28's right now are the most undervalued of all the pre-Robin Tecs. Anyone want to take a stab at the FMV for a low-grade copy?

I think unrestored Tec 28's will see a significant upward correction in the next few years. Many collectors who had set their sights on owning a Tec 27, are now discovering that it's out of their price range...permanently. Naturally they end up going for the next best thing...the next earliest appearance.

Thank you,I've been working on it for some time.

I agree,the 28 does seem undervalued, especially by guide.I would guess that an unrestored 2.0 copy may push past the 5K barrier.

Nice run you got there, Russ. Yup, Tec 28's are hard to find. Actually, all DC's cover dated June 1939 are scarce.

I think Tec 28's right now are the most undervalued of all the pre-Robin Tecs. Anyone want to take a stab at the FMV for a low-grade copy?

I think unrestored Tec 28's will see a significant upward correction in the next few years. Many collectors who had set their sights on owning a Tec 27, are now discovering that it's out of their price range...permanently. Naturally they end up going for the next best thing...the next earliest appearance.

I agree,the 28 does seem undervalued, especially by guide.I would guess that an unrestored 2.0 copy may push past the 5K barrier.

try 6K+ easy...in fact, I think our own Kimik sold one in cgc 2.0 for about that (thumbs u

try 6K+ easy...in fact, I think our own Kimik sold one in cgc 2.0 for about that (thumbs u

HAH this is funny I think it would go for more then 6K as I have been trying to locate one in any shape with little luck. I would pay 8-10K for a unrestored 2.0 depending on how it looks. I have wanted to track down a 27 and especially a 28 for a long time. I think I will have to get one if not this year then next.

I also have always thought that 29 was undervalued as well, but we have discussed that a bit in this thread already.

James G

I've been far to busy(lazy) to dig out and scan my books,but I just can't resist this thread any longer,it is after all my favorite mini run in the GA.

Outstanding (thumbs u