• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

:hi:

Here's my other pre-Robin Tec. I just got this back from Kenny (by way of Matt Nelson), who fixed a bunch of structural flaws (ugly top spine split, weak/worn spine, some interior page tears towards the back) and cleaned the cover. While still lower-grade, it looks and feels dramatically nicer than before. And the cover colors were nice to begin with, but now they really pop! Love it...

102659.jpg

Very nice Tec #32; and it looks quite sharp. (thumbs u

:hi:

Here's my other pre-Robin Tec. I just got this back from Kenny (by way of Matt Nelson), who fixed a bunch of structural flaws (ugly top spine split, weak/worn spine, some interior page tears towards the back) and cleaned the cover. While still lower-grade, it looks and feels dramatically nicer than before. And the cover colors were nice to begin with, but now they really pop! Love it...

102659.jpg

Very nice Tec #32; and it looks quite sharp. (thumbs u

does look great. I especially love the splash.

I was trying to keep the work pretty minimal, but I underestimated how much structural work was needed and maybe should've gone for the color touch as well once it crossed the line from slight to moderate resto.

Love the book Jon (thumbs u

And I think you made the right choice in forgoing the color touch. Less is always more in regards to resto and that book presents so well as it is. Added spot color, even done professionally, can usually be pretty readily apparent and therefore reduce the eye appeal. If there were large patches of piece replacement or leaf-casted (?) areas that create large white spaces then color would be great. But your book certainly doesn't have that on the front (from the scans).

Some amazing books ending soon in CL's August auction...

A "NG" Tec #27...

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D7%23Item%5F855766&id=855766

And a 5.0 Tec #33...

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D7%23Item%5F856881&id=856881

And guess as to how much these will end up going for?

Just got these both in finally. These are Jerry Robinson's personal copies - signed by him - from his private collection. Jerry only signed the books that he contributed to and he only had one copy of each. Jerry used these as reference material and owned them for decades. Debate the PQ all you want - but their historical significance is obvious. Anyone interested is welcome to contact me.

Tec31JRfront.jpg

Tec31JRback.jpg

Tec35fc-1.jpg

Tec35bc.jpg

Just got these both in finally. These are Jerry Robinson's personal copies - signed by him - from his private collection. Jerry only signed the books that he contributed to and he only had one copy of each. Jerry used these as reference material and owned them for decades. Debate the PQ all you want - but their historical significance is obvious. Anyone interested is welcome to contact me.

Tec31JRfront.jpg

Tec31JRback.jpg

Tec35fc-1.jpg

Tec35bc.jpg

So that's where these copies ended up. I asked at SDCC and they said they were sold before the show :baiting: Nice pick up!!!

Tec31JRfront.jpg

Tec31JRback.jpg

Tec35fc-1.jpg

Tec35bc.jpg

So that's where these copies ended up. I asked at SDCC and they said they were sold before the show :baiting: Nice pick up!!!

very nice David. The interior images and colors are still very nice on that 31.

Tec31JRfront.jpg

Tec31JRback.jpg

Tec35fc-1.jpg

Tec35bc.jpg

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Amazing acquisitions!

And yeah, the historical significance trumps the PQ or condition in general IMO...they're Robinson copies!

It's amazing that such books even exist and I'm going to guess without looking that they are likely to be the only SS copies graded to date.

Congratulations. :applause:

when I spoke to nadia about the tec 31 and 35, I honestly could not get past the PQ...provenance or not..they were attractively priced, however...yet hence, they did not end up with me, but glad david got them (thumbs u

I have had hardly any luck picking up books I am looking for, however I was able to get this.

Detective 30 7.0 unrestored

detective30-7.jpg

and here is a nicer image of my 29

detective29.jpg

I am still looking for a 27 and 28 mainly with no luck :-(

Ironically I now have 3 29's 2 coverless and my restored copy above.

James G

Edited by jgallo

Awesome books fellas! (worship)

Having a Robinson book from his personal collection is definitely one of a kind and historical! It seems you made a good purchase. I guess the brittle pages brought both of the grades down. It seemed as if all of Robinson's books had brittle pages. When I saw a pic of the three Bat 1's he had and what grades he thought they were, I thought he overgraded. I hope you bought em for the grade you predicted.

:bump:

Anyone have any new Pre-Robin Tec news to share? (shrug)

My 28-37 run. Not the greatest picture, but the only one I have before being tucked away.

TECS.jpg

:applause::golfclap:(worship)

This is the type of thing that makes me miss the days when this thread was more active.

What a fantastic group-shot. (thumbs u

Any stories behind the "why" and "how" you landed all of those?